Immigration chief: TM 30 law is outdated and needs to change

webfact

7 minutes ago, djayz said:

Wouldn't surprise me one little bit... 

I mean, it's not like I was making up that stuff in my prior post... 

Two of the three things I mentioned (wrist bracelets and special SIM cards) have already been proposed by government officials here in the past as a way of tracking (protecting :cheesy:) tourists...

I know they've proposed the microchip deal as it relates to dogs.... Not sure if they've yet gotten around to exploring that idea for humans...  But as you say....

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now get to work on that ridiculous 90 day reporting!  At worst, tie in and link any similar reporting to the visa or extension renewal date.  If one is on a retirement visa, then fine, report all the living details once a year.  Such reporting is not unreasonable for living in a foreign country

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Official??IMG_20190912_193218.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

That's TM28. Retired and married were added post 1979 and apparently are not excluded from the requirement of reporting every time they move province. TM30, nobody is excused.

Nice try, immigration. But do read you own immigration act, sections 37 (3) and (4) before drawing up any graphics. Or just ask TVF, we know the deal here.

4 minutes ago, Winky Wilson said:

TM 30 is convoluted and outdated using the 1979 format method.  In this day and age I think it’s time to have one of your immigration scholars develop an app where foreigners can check in on their smart phones.

The problem I have with all these ideas is that I find it insulting that we are not trusted to be set free in the country. They want to keep us like dogs on a leash.

Surely as someone with a home and family in Thailand, the address of which I give on the Arrival form when entering Thailand,and give on visa/ extension applications, 90 day forms,  not to mention my sim card registration they know where to find me except when traveling around in Thailand when I presume the hotels and guesthouses we stay in do the TM 30. My bank of course also has this address. Why then are we, or our families, expected to do this at all? And face a fine and a hitch in renewing extensions if we dont. Don't they have enough data on us already?

13 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

TM 30? What eez deez leetle form?

Dunno, never yet done one myself, nor has my wife for me. Only hotels and guesthouses presumably do for me.

And another thing: surely terrorists and criminal from outside Thailand aren't going to enter legally, nor will they do any of this stuff. They want to stay under the radar. So I don't think this is a valid justification for its continuance for long stayers with homes here.

14 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

wow.

so signing the petition started the conversation in the media and lead to the big meeting with expats and the press and now some forward motion. for sure some blow back from Thai business owners and super big international companies with thousands of workers.

Yes mate and the pussies on here said no.  I rest my case.

14 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Somehow, given the Immigration chief's comments above, I fear another round of wrist-bracelet, SIM card or microchip tracking of foreigners proposals coming along... :ph34r:

TM 30 is outdated. Modern technology much better. GPS/GSM bracelets will be fitted to all farangs on arrival at immigration checkpoints nationwide. A rental fee of 50 Baht per day will be charged. Removal of tags only on exit from Land of Smiles... 

14 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

This law does not need to be changed, it needs to be cancelled altogether.  There are no need to controle and regulate where each foreign individual goes within and outside Thailand.  Already each foreign individual is under time restriction via the issuance of a visa and a 90 days residential report exist if a need arises to contact an individual within the country. 

If Thailand prefered non-Asian visitors (married or retired) to live here, this can be regulated  via the already existing visa system.

Oh come on now. So why are there so many overstayers. They want to know where you are every minute so they can reel you in immediately.

15 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

wow.

so signing the petition started the conversation in the media and lead to the big meeting with expats and the press and now some forward motion. for sure some blow back from Thai business owners and super big international companies with thousands of workers.

Perhaps, but the expat contribution, IMO, had no effect. Only when Thai started to complain did anything happen.

Anyway, be careful what you wish for. Technology now allows continuous tracking of anyone with a <deleted> phone, and ankle bracelets for anyone without a <deleted> phone. Perhaps they'll trade TM 30 for electronic tracking:-)

15 hours ago, yimlitnoy said:

If Thailand prefered non-Asian visitors (married or retired) to live here, this can be regulated  via the already existing visa system.

Havin' a laff?

They've been making it more difficult for farangs to live in LOS for many years, but only those that have lived in LOS a long time would know that.

16 hours ago, Momofarang said:

That's a good point, and actually my thought was that we should have organized a "do your TM30 day" to flood all IOs, rather than a petition.

And at some point some had to have complained to their bosses that they are unsure in many cases how to or if to even do a TM 30. 

17 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Somehow, given the Immigration chief's comments above, I fear another round of wrist-bracelet, SIM card or microchip tracking of foreigners proposals coming along... :ph34r:

1) Every foreign resident must own an operational cell phone.

2) The cell phone must be on your person at all times, including in the shower.

3) Your location will be monitored continuously.

4) If you do not take our random robot calls within 3 rings your bank account will be reduced by 5000 baht for each missed call. 

11 hours ago, stephen savell said:

I must admit since 2006  till 2018 ive lived in Thailand 23 times from 18 days to 60 days, no official have ever asked me for anything,

If you never stayed longer than 60 days it'd be a surprise if you had heard of it. Few people would consider this as having lived in Thailand, but while you're not on the TM30 radar, things are getting much harder for repeat tourists. 

1 hour ago, Mac98 said:

1) Every foreign resident must own an operational cell phone.

2) The cell phone must be on your person at all times, including in the shower.

3) Your location will be monitored continuously.

4) If you do not take our random robot calls within 3 rings your bank account will be reduced by 5000 baht for each missed call. 

5) Any moaning or boom boom sounds in the background will be severely punished :)

10 hours ago, eng911 said:

My wife came to Canada almost 20 years ago. She has never had to “check-in” with the government and is not required to tell them where she is or where she’s going. 

We often talk talk about retirement in Thailand but it’ll never happen with these crazy rules. Who wants to spend retirement constantly worried about your next check-in or how much money has been in your Thai bank for the last so many months? 

You have a good point. If I knew these changes beforehand , I would not have retired in Thailand . I didn't  plan to spend my retirement constantly checking in with immigration and jumping through hoops. If things don't improve, my Thai wife and I will leave when current  extension expires '

Archived