Clampdown on pirated goods coming: Commerce minister

webfact

Clampdown on pirated goods coming: Commerce minister

By The Nation

800_5b3b1c8f820d23f.jpg?v=1568263110

Jurin Laksanawisit, the deputy prime minister and commerce minister, on Thursday presided over the destruction of goods that infringed on intellectual property.

He said that adhering to intellectual property law would increase the potential market for Thai products and services and strengthen business performance in the global trade competition.

The government considers an intellectual property protection system to be important for the country and has improved the system to be more effective, particularly around law enforcement, he said.

To protect intellectual property rights, the government has required the Commerce Ministry to coordinate with related agencies to monitor pirated products in both physical and online markets.

This coordination will proceed under supervision of the Suppression of Intellectual Property Infringement Subcommittee made up of 17 of the related agencies.

According to an Intellectual Property Department report, some 10,620,825 items should be destroyed, valued at Bt550 million if they were sold at the price of the branded item.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376108

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-12

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

And will this apply to pirated SW too?

No more Autocad license for 500 Baht? (where 50'000 comes closer to legit licenses) :whistling:

And you can order such stuff on a very popular online webshop!

Why pay 500 for software I (everyone) can get cracked for free?

i

I've lost count of how many times they have had a clamp down on pirated goods. Shops and vendors, who look after the police, are warned in advance so we find the shops closed for a few days. Vendors donate faulty goods to the police so that they can run a road roller over them in front of TV cameras for the benefit of the various country ambassadors, such as the U.S., who think that the Thais are clamping down on pirated goods.

34 minutes ago, Estrada said:

I've lost count of how many times they have had a clamp down on pirated goods. Shops and vendors, who look after the police, are warned in advance so we find the shops closed for a few days. Vendors donate faulty goods to the police so that they can run a road roller over them in front of TV cameras for the benefit of the various country ambassadors, such as the U.S., who think that the Thais are clamping down on pirated goods.

Said the man with the clamp on his head!

Seriously, some years ago my company had developed a line of unique original design products for export and were doing well. Another local Thai company - less than 10kms away from our factory - came out with exact copies, down to colour matching and precise dimensions. Not a thing we could do to stop them. TIT.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

According to an Intellectual Property Department report, some 10,620,825 items should be destroyed, valued at Bt550 million if they were sold at the price of the branded item.

So, someone has been around counting every pirate item on sale in Thailand! That's surely the only way you can come up with such an accurate figure.

40 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

So what “thai branded products “ are copied? Virtually nothing !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You're joking right?

In my post right above yours I gave one example of my (THAI branded) company products being copied in their entirety by another Thai company.

I could give numerous other examples of the same. Sorry to have to say this, but copying is what Thais do best and they are certainly not averse to copying each other when new innovations appear on the market and are seen to be successful. Not only individual products, but whole concepts.

So now what are the cigarette vendors who ply their trade on Beach rd. and Soi Bukhaow going to do for a crust once they close down the illegal cigarettes coming in from Indonesia, you know the ones the customs guys who get a kick back from the vendors for turning a blind eye when a new container arrives.

Archived