First escapee croc appears as floods linger in five provinces

webfact

First escapee croc appears as floods linger in five provinces

By The Nation

800_b17fbce0be4def0.jpg?v=1568270213

Five provinces in the Northeast remained flooded on Thursday, while elsewhere one of the nasty by-products of the annual deluges appeared – a crocodile loosed by floodwaters from the farm where it was raised.

The 2.5-metre-long male reptile was soon netted, but its escape from captivity might have been enough to fuel perennial fears of crocs on the hunt.

Floodwaters linger over Amnat Charoen, Yasothon, Ubon Ratchathani, Roi Et and Si Sa Ket, Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department chief Chayaphol Thitisak reported.

More than 28,600 people have been evacuated from 81 at-risk locations in the first four provinces.

Rains generated by tropical storms Podul and Kajiki in upper Thailand and the seasonal southwest monsoon in the South have caused flooding in 32 provinces since August 29, claiming 29 lives and afflicting 378,409 households, Chayaphol said. 

Eight people died in Yasothon, six in Roi Et, four in Amnat Charoen, three in Khon Kaen, two in Phichit and one each in Ubon Ratchathani, Phitsanulok, Mukdahan, Sakhon Nakhon, Nan and Si Sa Ket.

bbbh7hab9bbh7gak59hkh.jpg

Public concern over crocodiles getting loose from their farms during annual floods was churned on Tuesday (September 10) when the runaway croc was recaptured in a Sing Buri community pond.

Since no croc rancher claimed it – likely fearing a hefty fine – the animal was taken to the Nakhon Sawan Freshwater Fishery Research and Development Centre.

Thailand has 1,067 crocodile farms, in every province but one.

Fisheries Department deputy chief Wicharn Ingsrisawang ordered round-the-clock monitoring of the 284 croc farms in 19 provinces hit by floods as of September and asked ranchers to equip their rearing ponds with grills to prevent escapes in high water.

afdjbkgjjai995kfffj5j.jpg

Wicharn personally visited 11 such farms in critically submerged Ubon Ratchathani on Thursday.

He said the department had 80 krai thong – well-trained crocodile catchers – stationed at centres in Phitsanulok, Kanchanaburi, Ayutthaya, Rayong, Nakhon Ratchasima, Songkhla, Surat Thani and Krabi.

Wicharn said anyone who spots a crocodile in a public place or anywhere else it might present a menace should alert the provincial fisheries office or call the department at 02 562 0600.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376111

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-12

3 hours ago, ericnoodeeka said:

Just a question, but what are these crocks bred for? What do they do with them?

The main purpose is leather and, to a lesser extent, meat. At 2 different locations over the past 6 months, I've seen grilled croc being offered. I've also seen it, deep frozen, at Makro (Ithink it was Makro... memory isn't as good as it used to be). 

What I never see is the same amount of people wearing croc shoes and boots carrying handbags and using wallets compared to the amount of crocs I have seen in these farms and the number of farms around the world.....?

It all seems very strange. I walked passed dozens of those handbag/shoe shops in Thailand over the years and barely saw a customer whilst the bored staff lounged at the door with freezing air con pumping out the door trying to cool the planet....

14 hours ago, ericnoodeeka said:

Crocodile leather products include Birkin-style handbags, which sell for up to 80,000 baht ($2,358) each, and crocodile leather suits, which fetch around 200,000 baht ($5,894), Wichian said.

Crocodile meat is sold for as much as 300 baht per kg (2.2 lb). The bile and blood of the reptile, made into pills because they are believed to have health benefits, are worth 40,000 baht and 500 baht per kg, respectively.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/07/01/thailands-has-a-thriving-industry-of-crocodile-farms.html

1 hour ago, briansbiology said:

My sons request eating crocodile every weekend. its actually quite good. 

Seems fair in this situation. Either you it the crocodile or the crocodile eats you. Just a matter of whom eats who first.

13 hours ago, djayz said:

The main purpose is leather and, to a lesser extent, meat. At 2 different locations over the past 6 months, I've seen grilled croc being offered. I've also seen it, deep frozen, at Makro (Ithink it was Makro... memory isn't as good as it used to be). 

I was given some croc meat to try. I think you could make wallets with the meat. Grilled it. Stewed it. Tough as boot leather.

18 hours ago, ericnoodeeka said:

Slaughter them for their skins to make shoes, bags, belts, wallets (as previously quoted) and other "leather type" products. Chinese tourists flock to these farms in neighboring Cambodia judging by the number of tour buses parked outside and recently witnessed by me.  

14 hours ago, djayz said:

I think you're right, frozen, alongside the venison. 

19 hours ago, ericnoodeeka said:

Frozen croc meat is sold at Makro, and I know of several local restaurants that have it on the menu. Tastes like frog. Try it. "It's not just for wallets any more."

Archived