Cleaning shower glass

cheeryble

I went to the thread below but it looks closed.

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/924257-shower-glass-stained/

To continue......I've had an idea.

Mix some wallpaper paste flakes into white vinegar to make it a kinda sticky consistency.

Brush or wipe on the glass and give it time, but not enough to start drying.

Don't make it runny enough so it will run down......in my case there is a marble shelf at the bottom and it could be damaged not to mention grout on the floor.

What do big brains here think?

speaking of floors would the same stuff work on shower floor stains, which are probably just dirty calcium deposit?

IMG_8010.JPG.784fbb0cb49dcb9c5ac27b16273be471.JPG

Buy wallpaper paste where?

Thanks

Glass can be cleaned with a simple white vinegar spray, thats what the windolene product is.

We make our own degreasers by fermenting kaffir limes then using as a spray....great for kitchen grease.

For your floor I would use a combi of bicarb and vinegar, really get it to fizz away and loosen the grime.

I wouldnt even attempt to salvage the sealant, cut it out and re do it for 90bt with new.

Here is a much cheaper  solution, its worked for years for me.........EVERY TIME you have a  shower, dry down the walls and glass and entire  enclosure 100%, this will save you endless grief on cleaning, grout removal, silicone removal and once you start to do it  takes no time at all.

People often  think maintenance is a dirty word.

I haven't re grouted my shower in 10 years and it s till  looks  fine.

To get that  lot off  will require a  large does of elbow  grease, Ive used before depending on surface, Stanley knife  blades to slice off the skin grease layer ( vomit) any bleach with acid in, stronger the better, keep it off stainless and metal, let it  soak repeat repeat repeat, green scourers but  not too  hard, CIF and more elbow  grease etc etc Once clean dry it EVERY TIME you use it, good  way is shower all together !!!

16 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Glass can be cleaned with a simple white vinegar spray, thats what the windolene product is.

does  nothing for limescale hard  water on  glass, looks  initially ok then dries few  minutes  later and its  still there if there is already a build  up. The main thing is   keeping the area soaked for a period  of time to dissolve it. 

7 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

Hahaha, the picture implies 6m3 of concrete was accidentally spilled in the bathroom.

Now I know why the Americans call it a dumptruck

You need lots of imagination with package labels here.

SPA CLEAN is an excellent stain removing cocktail though. We use it on the product washer where all kinds of deposits quickly build up.

I also have my own recipe but you need to control the application time before it starts eating everything.

12 minutes ago, Chazar said:

does  nothing for limescale hard  water on  glass, looks  initially ok then dries few  minutes  later and its  still there if there is already a build  up. The main thing is   keeping the area soaked for a period  of time to dissolve it. 

You are right, thats exactly why we made the kaffir lime degreaser, to soak in and dissolve.

I was using washing up liquid and it was useless, wifey came up with lime idea and now all her friends use it.

18 minutes ago, Chazar said:

Here is a much cheaper  solution, its worked for years for me.........EVERY TIME you have a  shower, dry down the walls and glass and entire  enclosure 100%, this will save you endless grief on cleaning, grout removal, silicone removal and once you start to do it  takes no time at all.

People often  think maintenance is a dirty word.

I haven't re grouted my shower in 10 years and it s till  looks  fine.

To get that  lot off  will require a  large does of elbow  grease, Ive used before depending on surface, Stanley knife  blades to slice off the skin grease layer ( vomit) any bleach with acid in, stronger the better, keep it off stainless and metal, let it  soak repeat repeat repeat, green scourers but  not too  hard, CIF and more elbow  grease etc etc Once clean dry it EVERY TIME you use it, good  way is shower all together !!!

Are you by any chance my mother?

31 minutes ago, transam said:

Mix baking soda and vinegar to make a spreadable paste. Just spead it all over and leave it, over night is good. Then rinse/wash off...

Don't let the "greenies" see this! mixing baking soda and vinegar produces the dreaded "Carbon Dioxide" be careful out their folks :wink:

I prefer to spray the area with vinegar then sprinkle the baking soda onto the vinegar, put that Carbon to work! ????

When I see the "never use AC" threads this is how I imagine their houses to be! keep it dry and well ventilated and this would never happen :crying:

3 hours ago, Chazar said:

I spray the vinegar on, and use a sponge to keep working it in.  If you have a serious build-up it will take several applications; if it is really bad than alternating applications between vinegar and ammonia (or regular glass cleaner) seems to help.  Squeegee it off between applications and don’t let it dry.

13 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I wouldnt even attempt to salvage the sealant, cut it out and re do it

No need, there is a super easy way to clean it off. I am going to change your life.  I tried everything to get mold off silicone and failed. Then I saw this video and thought there is no way this will work--too simple, too easy and you don't have to buy anything. But no matter how bad mold is on silicone it 100% comes off EFFORTLESSLY and looks BRAND NEW. I am still in awe.

Seems to me for removal of scale from glass or floor, and removal of mould, the ma8n trick is to not let you active agent run off and give it time.

The last video looks terrific, just trying to think of something ready to use instead of rolling up loo roll. Ideas? Muslin?

For the glass and vinegar, as no one has commented on my idea of using wallpaper paste which I believe is just methylcellulose to to thicken it up so it won’t run, I will try to buy some.....it used to be cheap as chips in England. Amazingly there’s a very professional curtain shop in the next village and if I remember I saw a wallpaper catalog.

Not sure it’s necessary but after applying "cheeryble's patented vinegar gel" to the glass it would be possible to unroll clingfilm or the like over it,

Thanks for input

Ps can we assume scotchbrite does not scratch shower glass?

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

5 hours ago, canopy said:

No need, there is a super easy way to clean it off. I am going to change your life.  I tried everything to get mold off silicone and failed. Then I saw this video and thought there is no way this will work--too simple, too easy and you don't have to buy anything. But no matter how bad mold is on silicone it 100% comes off EFFORTLESSLY and looks BRAND NEW. I am still in awe.

Well worth a try.

Sounds like a Geordie trying to diguise his accent @worgeordie

8 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Seems to me for removal of scale from glass or floor, and removal of mould, the ma8n trick is to not let you active agent run off and give it time.

The last video looks terrific, just trying to think of something ready to use instead of rolling up loo roll. Ideas? Muslin?

For the glass and vinegar, as no one has commented on my idea of using wallpaper paste which I believe is just methylcellulose to to thicken it up so it won’t run, I will try to buy some.....it used to be cheap as chips in England. Amazingly there’s a very professional curtain shop in the next village and if I remember I saw a wallpaper catalog.

Not sure it’s necessary but after applying "cheeryble's patented vinegar gel" to the glass it would be possible to unroll clingfilm or the like over it,

Thanks for input

Ps can we assume scotchbrite does not scratch shower glass?

My baking soda/vinegar will work...In fact you can remove toilet lime scale and bring the bowl back to looking new by my method.

Pull the flush so the bowl is wet, shake baking soda over it to stick to the damp. Then squrt vinegar on to the soda, let it do it's thing, some of it will slide into the bowl water, which is good. Leave for a few hours then pull the flush, job done..

3 hours ago, RideJocky said:

The “Duck” brand in the purple jugs works great for me.

Duck is strong stuff but I find it requires a lot of time consuming scrubbing around moldy or scaled tiles, it is ineffective on silicone mold, and mold returns quickly in general. If mold is on silicone or grout I prefer bleach as shown in post #16 because the mold disappears all by itself without any work and stays off for longer. Everywhere else I use vinegar; windows, floors, toilets, everything. I don't use duck anymore. And I doubt it's too good for the groundwater or wherever the drain takes it.

Duck and Vixol are about 15% HCl.
Quite good for cleaning grout in large areas but u gotta keep moving and rinsing as it makes the grout sizzle so it must be eating into it.....presumably on doesn’t want to go deeper than the surface.
You really do need ventilation.

My wife got something online for glass screens.
I’d bought vinegar, baking soda, and even found some wallpaper paste, but though she paid s lot for it I didn’t expect it to work for a second.
But I gave it s go and I gotta say it worked near instantly.
As I have Parky’s I can’t smell properly but it c ertainly wasn’t heavily noxious like HCl which can make u cough.
I wondered if it was Justus soaking into the film of scale like oil and water do and making it more transparent temporarily, but I wiped it clean three times with dry tissue and I reckon it was clean and clear. I had little time so will check again soon.....stay tuned.

The Duck product only foams up on the dirty areas, it does not foam up on clean tile or grout. I squirt it on, wait 5-10 minutes and go over it with a scotch-brite pad. As far as I can tell it does not dissolve the grout.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Be very careful with products containing HCl.  Very corrosive and prone to volatilizing unless there is an inhibitor and the concentration is relatively low. You do not want to breathe acid fumes in an enclosed space, or at all.   When I worked for a company in the USA, the guy in charge of the hazardous materials said that the company could not use many products that are commonly sold to consumers because they were quite dangerous. 

I like chemicals, but I do not want raw HCL or anything with Hydrofluoric acid (HF) anywhere around my home.  Big companies have a lot to lose.  Individual consumers only have their lives to lose.  I had training at college about pesticides.  The Professor always said, "Read the label, read the label, read the label!"

EUREKA!

Wife bought a product ."....expensive 700baht two for one.

But. It goes a long way and removes the scale with the lightest of rubs.

I could hardly believe it

No I don’t own the company.

Look on Facebook at D Care Clean

Would love to know whats in it.

Doesn’t seem to be noxious either I just left the shower fan on

12 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

EUREKA!

Wife bought a product ."....expensive 700baht two for one.

But. It goes a long way and removes the scale with the lightest of rubs.

I could hardly believe it

No I don’t own the company.

Look on Facebook at D Care Clean

Would love to know whats in it.

Doesn’t seem to be noxious either I just left the shower fan on

No label on the bottle?

Care to share a picture?

Archived