Drivers advised to avoid Pattaya Beach Road until next year

Rimmer

Drivers advised to avoid Pattaya Beach Road until next year

p1-N-Sept-10-01-Beach-road-pipe.jpg

PATTAYA:--With all the construction going on around town, and all the traffic snarls it’s causing, it might be a bit disheartening to learn that city hall has announced the work will not be completed until next year.

As reported last month when complaints rained in to city hall, along with requests to limit construction to one area at a time, city hall countered that it received a 95 million baht budget for various projects from laying drainage pipes to burying electricity lines and that the budget must be spent.

This has resulted in roads being dug up, holes left with barriers, and lanes closed in a patchwork of projects that leaves no area free of congestion.

Read more: https://www.pattayamail.com/featured/drivers-advised-to-avoid-pattaya-beach-road-until-next-year-264055

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2019-09-12--

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well that's Thailand for you. No planning, no co-ordination, just plough ahead and use that budget ASAP (along with a skim off the top no doubt), and to hell with the inconvenience it creates. It wouldn't be so bad if you could have any confidence that any of the projects would actually be successful in providing long term solutions.

I remember back in oh 2005 or so there were flower beds on the northern end of the sidewalk there. The park benches were all along the sidewalk and nice to sit and pause for a rest on.  The sea wall had that walk way you could use and wander north to wong mat.  Year after year just worst and more money spent.  Hack and butcher job on the trees.

1 minute ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

Please please can we have public toilets and baby changing facilities that are a basic requirement of any beach resort and it would be nice if they put back some seats like a normal resort has.

Ha ha ha! This isn't a normal beach resort. It's a world class beach resort.

Although judging by all the spin they put on it, it would be better described as a whirled class beach resort.

42 minutes ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

Please please can we have public toilets and baby changing facilities that are a basic requirement of any beach resort and it would be nice if they put back some seats so us oldies can take a rest in our walk.

I agree. However, based on past observation, any such facility would slide into decay and be unfit for its intended use. I plan my day with intake and output to be well within access to the necessary facilities. As for basic baby changing facilities, that would be nice, but I doubt any such thing would last very long before neglect took its toll.

22 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

After closing the hole Make the road just max one lane and give the whole beachfront area back to the pedestrians and the cyclists. 

Beach Road, drainage etc., It would be interesting to see how many times large drainage projects have been done in the last 30 years, and the cost and most of these projects achieved nothing.

My guess is large drainage projects about 10 times.

1 hour ago, Benmart said:

I agree. However, based on past observation, any such facility would slide into decay and be unfit for its intended use. I plan my day with intake and output to be well within access to the necessary facilities. As for basic baby changing facilities, that would be nice, but I doubt any such thing would last very long before neglect took its toll.

No to baby changing facilities.  Just a politically correct fad.

Meanwhile, in Japan...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/15/japan-fixes-vast-fukuoka-city-sinkhole-repaired-two-days

In a typical demonstration of Japanese workmanship and efficiency, workers toiled around the clocks and had practically filled in the section of road in just two days, according to local media.

It would be so easy to ban all parking on second road for a start and then you could drive both directions with no hassle. There’s enough width as long as there is no obstruction. Beach  road, one way   towards walking street. No parking, big prom . 

On 9/12/2019 at 3:21 AM, PatOngo said:

I've lost count of the number of times Beach Road has been dug up to replace drainage in the last 30 years. I got the hell out of Dodge (y) City years ago!

You are correct!  Tearing up Beach Road seems to be a ritual that occurs every few years.  The issue is it is always for the same thing, to put in new drainage pipes.  Does no one in the Thai government ever question this misappropriation of funds?

What's worse is that they are doing it right during the height of the tourist season.  Just another way to kill off the low numbers of tourists already planning to go somewhere else.

44 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Tearing up Beach Road seems to be a ritual that occurs every few years.  The issue is it is always for the same thing, to put in new drainage pipes.

I have from a reliable source that this time they gonna put the pipes at the right side of the road e.g the lower side

11 hours ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

Please please can we have public toilets and baby changing facilities that are a basic requirement of any beach resort

Perhaps you havent noticed that the desired "QUALITY" tourists don't require such things... 

My suspicion is that they tore up the entire road but are actually only working on it in small sections. Thai thinking.

When they are working on the city drainage maybe they want to disconnect the pipes that still dump raw sewage into the bay

I'm certain this will be a huge high season draw.

The nation is just one stupid plan after the next

Archived