BANGKOK
bahtboy

Not receiving texts from UK bank

Hi. My bank in England has implemented new security procedures. When I want to log in to their internet banking online (via their website, not via their app), they sometimes will ask me to input a code which they will send by text to my mobile number here in Thailand. I have, over the past two weeks been "chatting" to them on the internet and eventually I am assured that they have my number in the correct format. However I still am not receiving their texts. They are saying now that it must be a problem with my service provider (AIS), but I've just asked a friend in England to text me in 2 different number formats, and I have received both his texts within a minute. Back "chatting" with my bank and they still say that everything is correct at their end and that I still should go in to see AIS. Before I make the trip into the AIS office, does anybody have any suggestions?

On 9/12/2019 at 4:38 PM, bahtboy said:

they sometimes will ask me to input a code which they will send by text to my mobile number here in Thailand.

Presumably this is a Thai number? If this is, indeed, the case, are you 100% certain that your UK bank does text codes to non-UK mobile numbers?

My UK bank has also just introduced similar security procedures for their online banking service (which, as in your case, I access via their website). However, they have made it clear to me that security codes cannot be texted to non-UK mobile numbers. But they are prepared to send these codes to me by email instead (and, indeed, have already done so).

Hi OJAS, I don't suppose your bank is Natwest by any chance? They are my bank. I have been on their "chat" online maybe 4 times and spoken to an actual person live, and at no time have they mentioned that they won't send texts to Thailand. I went into AIS and they said nothing wrong at this end. However, the service guy said he did find and alter something and all should be ok now. When I was walking away from the counter I received an sms from AIS saying that voicemail had been activated. If that's what he did then I'm very sceptical if it would have any effect. Since I've been back I tried to access my online banking twice but each time they let me through to my account without the necessity of having to send me a text, so I'll have to wait until the next security check before I'll know if I can now receive texts from them. If I can't I'll ask them the direct question whether they will indeed send texts to a Thai telephone number, and if not, I'll ask them if they'll email me in future. Many thanks for your input. Regards, bahtboy.

Further to above post I tried to log in to internet banking again and lo and behold I received a text from the bank in England. I never believed that AIS would have been able to fix whatever the problem was. Call me sceptical, but I've probably lived in Thailand too long!