New paint scheme for car?

RocketDog

I am considering buying a used car from a Thai national, but I don't like the color scheme and the paint is old.

I have been told by a paint shop that I cannot change the color scheme (red/white/black) because these are colors listed in the registration book for the car. I have verified that the colors are indeed listed in the registration book.

This seems highly unlikely to me but I'm often surprised by the apparent lunacy of some regulations in the Kingdom.

I would assume that when I register the car in my name the new color scheme would simply be recorded and that would be the end of it.

As per usual, getting straight information from the 'proper authoriries' seems to quickly become a circular dialogue.

Any information or clarification is appreciated.

Recently bought a car which had a colour change. DLT never questioned it.

Years ago I got pulled by the Police Dept at DLT Chatuchak for the same thing on another car. They appeared to think the colour might have been changed to cover up the fact it had been stolen. I told them the colour had been changed before I bought it so nothing to do with me. They checked their computer and nothing showed up except several unpaid parking fines, which I paid and they let me go. (Yes, you can get stuffed for the previous owner's fines).

ith

On 9/12/2019 at 4:59 PM, Don Mega said:

The book can be updated with a colour change but it can be a headache to do so.

Not an issue if the numbers match. Dealing with any bureaucracy is reason for a potential P.I.A.

Done it a few times. Only pain was hanging around while they had many private conversations before updating. 

Depending on age of the vehicle it's unlikely there would be any issue until it becomes an age whereby yearly inspections are required.

Archived