No wages in three months: Kan’buri factory in hot water

snoop1130

No wages in three months: Kan’buri factory in hot water

By Suphot Kaewkasi
The Nation

800_4f034440b4dfc86.jpg

Three hundred Thai and Myanmar workers on Thursday filed human-trafficking complaints against a company in Kanchanaburi that processes vegetables and fruit for export, saying they hadn’t been paid for three months, costing them a combined Bt100 million.

Tha Maka police superintendent Colonel Natthawuth Kantayot assigned 10 officers to record their individual complaints while Immigration Police 3 superintendent Colonel Samran Klanma, provincial labour officials and other agencies provided assistance.

Lawyer Atchariya Ruangrattanapong, chairman of a crime victims’ assistance club and representing the workers, accused Vita Food Factory (1989) Ltd, which has registered capital of Bt400 million and several subsidiaries, of unfair treatment in withholding their wages.

He said the workers had been unsuccessful in a prior complaint to other agencies against the company, filed under the Labour Protection Act, so they were now asking that criminal charges be brought against Vita’s executives under the Human Trafficking Suppression and Prevention Act.

As of publication time on Thursday, police had been unable to contact any executives in a bid to arrange negotiations.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376115

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-12

I hope the EU gets to find out that Thailand still has an abundance of human trafficking and slave labour.

That will make them worry even more about entering into a Free Trade Agreement with Thailand.

The "own goals" just keep on coming. Idiots!

12 hours ago, Cadbury said:

I hope the EU gets to find out that Thailand still has an abundance of human trafficking and slave labour.

That will make them worry even more about entering into a Free Trade Agreement with Thailand.

The "own goals" just keep on coming. Idiots!

I doubt the EU would consider this factor, they didn't seem to when they considered the fishing industry.

2 minutes ago, alant said:

I doubt the EU would consider this factor, they didn't seem to when they considered the fishing industry.

Thailand and the EU still don't have an FTA so they must have considered something.

With respect they did consider it but it was probably not the major reason why Thailand and the EU don't and have an FTA. The fact that Thailand was run by a military junta (and now as a democratically veiled military junta) might be a big reason.

They have now removed Thailand from their list of "Warned Countries". To quote:

The European Commission has removed Thailand from its list of “warned countries” after significant improvements in the Thai fishing industry.

https://www.governmenteuropa.eu/thai-fishing-industry-eu-approval/91773/

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Three hundred Thai and Myanmar workers on Thursday filed human-trafficking complaints against a company in Kanchanaburi that processes vegetables and fruit for export, saying they hadn’t been paid for three months, costing them a combined Bt100 million

No wages stop working... they will soon come to the negotiating table...  while you work they will continue to abuse you.

7 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

No wages stop working... they will soon come to the negotiating table...  while you work they will continue to abuse you.

7 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

And perhaps risk beeing replaced by other workers?

Who would be dumb enough to go work for a company that doesn't pay it's workers?

7 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Well, the've done it for three months. Personally, I wouldn't work even if I got paid.

Read somewhere that the wage of sin is death. An individuals choice I suppose. Not an easy choice if you're needy and nulling the radar. 

Emollients will negate the wages due and the needy will be replaced. Job done and all's well. Until next time. 

Then repeat, as required.

23 hours ago, jethro69 said:

300 people, 3 months, 100 million..? 

That would be a salary of way over 111.111 bath.

Something is wrong in the numbers.

Math is not a Thai strong point.....the numbers never add up...but that always seems to benefit the rich and powerful.

On 9/13/2019 at 8:32 AM, rwill said:
On 9/12/2019 at 11:38 PM, jethro69 said:

300 people, 3 months, 100 million..? 

That would be a salary of way over 111.111 bath.

Something is wrong in the numbers.

Yes, perhaps 10 million.  Just an editor error.

Just as the water (bath) currency.      :cheesy:

Archived