PM Johnson denies lying to Queen Elizabeth over the suspension of parliament

snoop1130

PM Johnson denies lying to Queen Elizabeth over the suspension of parliament

efrgr.JPG

Britain's Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks with year four and year six pupils during a visit to Pimlico Primary school in London, Britain, September 10, 2019. REUTERS/Toby Melville/Pool

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has denied lying to Queen Elizabeth over the reasons for suspending parliament for five weeks after a court ruled his decision to do so was unlawful.

Parliament was prorogued - suspended - on Monday until Oct. 14, a move opposition lawmakers argued was designed to thwart their attempts to scrutinise his plans for leaving the European Union and to allow him to push through a no-deal Brexit on Oct. 31.

Scotland’s highest court of appeal ruled on Wednesday that the suspension was not lawful and was intended to stymie lawmakers, prompting Johnson’s opponents to accuse him of lying to the queen as to the reasons for the suspension.

Johnson said on Thursday those claims were “absolutely not” true.

With seven weeks to go, the government and parliament are locked in conflict over the future of Brexit, with possible outcomes ranging from leaving without a deal to another referendum.

Johnson said the government is waiting to hear an appeal next week against the Scottish court ruling by the Supreme Court, the United Kingdom’s highest judicial body, and he respected the independence of the judges.

“I’m not going to quarrel or criticise the judges,” he told reporters. “It’s very important that we respect the independence of the judiciary. They are learned people.”

He said he was hopeful the government would reach a divorce deal with the EU next month.

“I’ve been around the European capitals talking to our friends - I think we can see the rough area of a landing space, of how you could do it,” he said. “It will be hard, but I think we can get there.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-09-12

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I know all he had to do was ask Her Majesty to Prorogue Parliament, she probably asked him why, I doubt he told an out and right lie, but probably mislead her or evaded the answer as he and the others have practised well when being interviewed by John Humphrys on Radio 4. 

Two points here, firstly in law there is a difference between ''unlawful'' and ''illegal''. Secondly the Queen does not act in isolation but in consultation with the Privy Council. The Privy Council is composed of members of Parliament, barristers, industrialists, etc., a bit difficult to get a lie past that lot. 

6 minutes ago, anterian said:

Two points here, firstly in law there is a difference between ''unlawful'' and ''illegal''. Secondly the Queen does not act in isolation but in consultation with the Privy Council. The Privy Council is composed of members of Parliament, barristers, industrialists, etc., a bit difficult to get a lie past that lot. 

The privy council meeting which was organised to propose proroguing parliament consisted of only 3 members plus the Queen - Mogg along with Baroness Evans, the leader of the Lords, and Mark Spencer, the Tory party Chief Whip, all 3 hardcore brexiteers.

1 hour ago, Number 6 said:

555 six weeks to go. Here come the long knives and sh1++y propaganda.

No food , no medical supplies ,  power outages,  from our french supplier . 

Apart from that , look on the bright side , without lights..

An off topic troll post along with multiple replies and further replies to those have been removed.

Stick to the topic under discussion.

Thoughts on Brexit itself and if it is good or bad, comparisons to hurricanes paths in America are absolutely not relevant.

Comments regarding others perceptions on Brexit and their intelligence are not relevant.

Multiple posting holidays on offer for anyone who can't understand that.

1 hour ago, RuamRudy said:
1 hour ago, anterian said:

The privy council meeting which was organised to propose proroguing parliament consisted of only 3 members plus the Queen - Mogg along with Baroness Evans, the leader of the Lords, and Mark Spencer, the Tory party Chief Whip, all 3 hardcore brexiteers.

I don't have the numbers at hand, but how many million people he got his lies past when campaigning for the referendum?

6 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

I’ve been around the European capitals talking to our friends - I think we can see the rough area of a landing space, of how you could do it,” he said. “It will be hard, but I think we can get there.”

What utter bullocks this man comes out with. 

11 hours ago, elliss said:

No food , no medical supplies ,  power outages,  from our french supplier . 

Apart from that , look on the bright side , without lights..

OK - so you’ll be packing today then and selling the house? - and dont let the door hit you on the way out. and by the way @no food@ just laughable left wing remoaner garbage scaremongering - we had food before we joined the EU!!

7 hours ago, wilcopops said:

Par fir the course with BJ, why would he make an exception for the queen?

His vascillations are well established 

69931282_501291743774283_6313324839599865856_n.jpg

but now the majority of voters voted for it - something that democrats seem to very very undemocratic in their left wing thinking about accepting!!

3 minutes ago, bizboi said:

Oh great so its uplifting to ignore democracy? good point - maybe we can ignore the result if Corbyn wins the next election!!

Tch tch, we won't ignore it, just come to the conclusion that it is advisory...

Boris and Donald are two plods in a pee. Both lie so often we simply expect whatever they say to be lies.

Okay, I'm a simple Yank: what is so clock stopping vital about 'the Queen's speech"? That it takes a month to cook up?  Lincoln wrote Gettysburg address on back on envelope while on the train to Gettysburg...

13 hours ago, Basil B said:

As far as I know all he had to do was ask Her Majesty to Prorogue Parliament, she probably asked him why, I doubt he told an out and right lie, but probably mislead her or evaded the answer as he and the others have practised well when being interviewed by John Humphrys on Radio 4. 

Pure supposition. When did he not lie?

30 minutes ago, Emdog said:

Boris and Donald are two plods in a pee. Both lie so often we simply expect whatever they say to be lies.

Okay, I'm a simple Yank: what is so clock stopping vital about 'the Queen's speech"? That it takes a month to cook up?  Lincoln wrote Gettysburg address on back on envelope while on the train to Gettysburg...

"Okay, I'm a simple Yank..."

So is Boris, born in New York.

1 hour ago, flossie35 said:

Pure supposition. When did he not lie?

Or more to the point when did he lie? such meetings with the queen are private and normally neither makes public the detail of any of the conversation, so to say Boris lied is "pure supposition".

What I was suggesting was he probably more economical with the truth than say any out & out lies.

Archived