Bat crud crazy

SailingHome

My Thai wife and I just can't get along any more. She says she will stay married and help with visas and such, but now is saying wants a divorce because I have a live-in nurse/maid for my Parkinson Disease. Heck - my penis does not even work, it's not like my nurse is my lover.

1) Can she in any way force me to go to an Amphur for divorce?

2) Can I tell her she must sue me in court if she wants a divorce? If so, I will counter sue for a lot of damages

3) If we divorce, what do I do for a visa? I am from USA and am only 48.5 years old.

10 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If you can afford the nurse perhaps you can afford the elite visa.  Or sail on. (sorry but your name said it).

image.jpeg.445abdfbcb5f0f7a44d195e744dd9635.jpeg

Indeed, I wish I could sail away. But Parkinsons has me trapped. SSDI is not going to make much o a life in USA, and the maid is only 12k/mo. Is that enough for elite?

OP - some of your questions may be answered here ... https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/grounds-divorce.php

Ground for Divorce in Thailand

1. a 3-year period of separation
  2. One spouse has deserted the other for over one year
  3. The husband has taken another woman as his wife
  4. The wife has committed adultery
  5. One spouse is guilty of misconduct (criminal or otherwise)
  6. One spouse has physically or mentally harmed the other
  7. Lack of Maintenance and Support
  8. One spouse has had incurable insanity for at least 3 years
  9. One spouse has broken the bond of good behavior
  10. One spouse has an incurable, communicable and dangerous disease
  11. One spouse has a physical disadvantage so as to be unable to cohabit as husband and wife.

Just now, CharlieH said:

As far as I am aware, she only has to contact immigration and inform them the relationship is finished and you will have a problem, assuming the visa is based on marriage, you will have to find alternate visa classification.

She might do that. It is based on marriage. I have 1.5 years to go to get a retirement visa.

2 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

She might do that. It is based on marriage. I have 1.5 years to go to get a retirement visa.

I would seek legal advice and guidance, you may be able to string it out under "hope of reconciliation" for the duration of the current visa, but after that you will need to make other arrangements.

She cant force you to the Amphur, the best she could do would be to file and wait for 3 years.(afaik). If she wanted to re-marry, she could force it with relevant grounds.

4 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

More information here. https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/Thailand-Contested-Divorce-Faqs.php

If either party contests the divorce it must go to court.

OK. I am beginning to see it all... If I do not want to go to an amphur she must file with the courts and I can contest it. Yes?

44 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

If you can afford the nurse perhaps you can afford the elite visa.  Or sail on. (sorry but your name said it).

image.jpeg.445abdfbcb5f0f7a44d195e744dd9635.jpeg

best easiest way if you have the  money, least hassle  etc 500k 5  years, dump the uncaring  wife she deserves  nothing.

31 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

<deleted>? I have Parkinson's so my wife can leave me? What kind of wife leaves a man who needs her care?

Unfortunately you cant force someone to stay with you. (in my opinion a good thing .. people should always be allowed to break up)

13 hours ago, robblok said:

Unfortunately you cant force someone to stay with you. (in my opinion a good thing .. people should always be allowed to break up)

4 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

That is true but has nothing to do with topic.

If your above refers to the robblock post I would say it has everything to do with it - you stated your intent to block wife from divorce in OP although you do not get along and only want the marriage paperwork, not a wife, to obtain your extensions of stay.  

13 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

Let's hope she as as stupid as she acts and not tell immigration

That wont work as you need her for your next extension, she will have to come with you pics of you and her need to be there. So i doubt its an option.

But as I said if she wants a divorce she is entitled to one. You only seem to be worried about staying here not your wife. So its not as if you want her to stay for love or anything like that. 

4 minutes ago, robblok said:

That wont work as you need her for your next extension, she will have to come with you pics of you and her need to be there. So i doubt its an option.

But as I said if she wants a divorce she is entitled to one. You only seem to be worried about staying here not your wife. So its not as if you want her to stay for love or anything like that. 

Well, first off you do not know our situation, yes,I agree, I need to be in Thailand is a higher priority than an a woman who is emotionally abusive and manipulative.

3 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

Well, first off you do not know our situation, yes,I agree, I need to be in Thailand is a higher priority than an a woman who is emotionally abusive and manipulative.

Sorry to say she holds all the cards in her hand.. if she does not come with you to immigration for your next extension you will be in trouble.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/12/2019 at 9:08 PM, SailingHome said:

You stated your not quite old enough for a retirement visa or extension. Are you aware that unlike a marriage visa or extension by reason of marriage a retirement will require a monthly income of 65,000 baht a month or 800,000 baht deposit in a Thai bank.  Marriage only requires 40,000 baht a month or 400,000 deposit in a Thai bank. Is your SSDI going to give you the means to stay here?

On 9/13/2019 at 11:23 AM, SailingHome said:

300k? That is $10,000 US. On SSDI I do not thing that is an option

500K for Elite he said.  so more like 15K USD. 

Yet you mention only 1.5 years to retirement visa, when you will have to keep another 400K in the bank (800K total compared to 400K for marriage extension you have now)

How were you planning on getting that extra 400K into a thai bank in 1.5 years?  Actually 1 year 3 months as it has to be seasoned for 3 months

Wish you luck on divorce, or whatever happens.  Please keep us updated

Archived