Do thais have to register in their Embassy when living abroad?

No mandatory requirement, and not sure if it's even possible to do so voluntarily. Check with the embassy concerned.

My wife and stepdaughter moved to the UK nearly 19 years ago and have never registered at the Thai embassy. This has not caused a problem, even when dealing with said embassy to renew their Thai passports.

Do you have to? No

Can you? Sometimes. When we were in Australia I recall being on a mailing list so that you know when the Passport and Thai ID card mobile services were coming to town, but that was a few years ago now.

So worth asking from a purely practical perspective.

Thai passports only last for 5 years, so they have to report to the embassy then to apply for a new one. Unless they get it done when traveling to visit family in Thailand. 
In wich case the Authorities probably cann tell from the old passport where the person resides. 

plain and simple; No but as a matter of convenience I do had advice and take my Thai wife to her Embassy to register on places we have stayed for long periods of time. (4 years working in Myanmar); for security reasons eg; political unrest or natural disaster is good to be accountable in case  the country needs to evacuate its citizens. I do the same to my embassy(USA) everywhere I go. do it on line is simple, for the sake of you and your family. 

On 9/13/2019 at 9:14 AM, 7by7 said:

No mandatory requirement, and not sure if it's even possible to do so voluntarily. Check with the embassy concerned.

My wife and stepdaughter moved to the UK nearly 19 years ago and have never registered at the Thai embassy. This has not caused a problem, even when dealing with said embassy to renew their Thai passports.

Do they have to notify UK immigration every time they’re away from home overnight?

28 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

Do they have to notify UK immigration every time they’re away from home overnight?

10 minutes ago, whitemouse said:

No. Western democracies are free countries, not police states.  

Indeed, in the UK but they should notify UKVI if they change any of their circumstances.

Report a change of circumstances if you have a visa or BRP

12 hours ago, Fairynuff said:

Not always easy - When my wife gets a UK settlement visa, we'll be living around 500 miles from the Thai Embassy in London

Alan

22 hours ago, Gimbo said:

Thai passports only last for 5 years

Newly-issued Thai passports are now valid for 10 years, according to an article which appeared in the Bangkok Post newspaper on 26th April. Unfortunately forum rules preclude me from attaching the relevant link, but a Google search along the lines of "Thai passport validity period" should readily unearth it.

On 9/16/2019 at 10:47 PM, Fairynuff said:

Some nationals like Chinese and some African countries have to register with the police station within 7 days of arrival to the UK. and yes, if you didn't, there'll be trouble upon visa extension or even next re-entry. 

Thai passport holders seem to be exempt from this rule in the UK. 

On 9/13/2019 at 3:14 PM, 7by7 said:

One caveat here... My Mrs left Thailand so long ago that her ID card had a picture of her in a school uniform. It was only very recently that she happened to be in the London embassy with me, and the staff there got her to get a new style Thai ID card. Without it, some aspects of life in Thailand would be a bit of a chew.

Archived