BANGKOK
Kenny202

Repatriating to Australia with a child. Newstart, pension?

Only throwing things around at the moment but LOS starting to lose it's shine for me a bit. Originally came over here with a Thai girl, things didn't work out the way I planned. I am ok financially, not swimming in money. Retired young and now 55yo with a 3yo son. My son is Thai born but an Aussie citizen. Cost's me around $2000 AUS a month to live here. We live reasonably well in a nice house. Eat like kings etc so not a lot to complain about but with the climate, traffic, uncertainty of being in a foreign country, no medical etc....starting to think moving back to Oz could be an option. Worst thing for me would be selling everything I have here (no property. Only vehicles, furniture etc)

I would ideally like to start some sort of small manageable business but so far from my enquiries a lot of red tape and nanny state stuff for anything I would be interested in. Probably almost impossible for me to find work at my age and in any case I would prefer to be home with my son at least for another few years. I have been out of the country just over 5 years now. Would there be any waiting time to get Newstart or pension or whatever I would be entitled too?  I have money in the bank, no property. Last time I read it's ok to have up to $400k in cash or property and I am no where near that.

Like there is no way I could live off $400 a week but if I supplement that with some of my own money per month which I am doing in Thailand anyway it may not be too bad. From there I can work on what I want to do business wise. Has anyone done a similar thing or knows current conditions to qualify for Newstart / pension? 

Edited by Kenny202

As a responsible parent, do what is best for your child's future! 👍

• Like 2

My brother informed me yesterday that they are going to start drug testing people on Newstart soon,so you can look forward to peeing into a bottle every two weeks to collect you Newstart allowance.Good luck trying to put up with that kind of draconian form of gubment.Also I would check to make sure that the 400K in cash is for the pension and not Newstart as they are making it increasingly difficult.

Edited by FarFlungFalang
Add Text
  • Like 1

Unless there is something specific to you, that you know about, you do not get a pension 'til 67 years old. Keep changing it upward every now & then.

There may be a waiting time before you get any Newstart.Not sure.

If there is no actual need to do it this month, think & plan ahead.

There is an Australian pensioners thread here somewhere.

• Like 1

Parenting Payment is available until child is 8 years old if single, 6 years old if couple.

$501.70 F/n (couple)

$776.10 F/n (single)

Newstart is available with a child 6/8 to 16 years old.

$501.70 F/n (couple)

$601.10 F/n (single)

Newstart has liquid assets test, there can be up to 13 weeks waiting period.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/liquid-assets-waiting-period/28631

If entitled, rent allowance is $161.14 F/n.

(Rates as at May 2019)

Superannuation in the accumulation phase will not be income/asset tested.

Financial assets will be income tested and benefits will be adjusted over $160k not $400k.

• Like 2

If I was unemployed with a 3yo child would that be a Newstart benefit or a parenting benefit?

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

If I was unemployed with a 3yo child would that be a Newstart benefit or a parenting benefit?

If you are single you would be eligible for the single parenting benefit which is almost $300 more than Newstart.

• Like 2

Read the whole article, it has not been passed and will, if passed only affect a very few people.

pro is that it will enable people to get rehab easier. Con is that it might increase crime by the desperate addicts

10 minutes ago, bluejets said:

Newstart is fence-ringed with a number of obligations, such as applying for jobs and doing a lot of BS paperwork. You are correct in assuming gaining employment as a 55 yo is difficult.

Given the cost of living in Australia is 2-3 times that of Thailand, perhaps you would be better off staying here and budgeting carefully. The only real benefit to you in Australia is the Medicare system. The benefit to your son is better education.

Be aware you have to be in Australia when you become eligible for the Age Pension, otherwise it is two years staying there to qualify.

Good luck with your choice, it's not an easy one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1