Repatriating to Australia with a child. Newstart, pension?

Kenny202

For a single parent with a 3 year old child the following benefits are available:

Parenting Payment    $776.10
FTB A                       $186.20
Supplement              $ 29.48    
FTB B                       $153.34
Supplement              $ 14.04
Rent Allowance          $161.14 
                                $1320.30 per F/N or $34,327.8‬0 per annum

Health Care Card

State Govt Concessions (D/Licence, Public Transport, Cost of Living, Electricity/Gas/Water etc)

Child Care Subsidies

NB:

Parenting Payment will be income tested for financial assets of more than $198k (Super is excluded)
FBT A Benefit (Income tested for income more than 80k Per Annum)
FBT B Benefit (Income tested for income more than 100k Per Annum)

https://www.qld.gov.au/families/financial/payments#single

7 hours ago, LosLobo said:

For a single parent with a 3 year old child the following benefits are available:

Parenting Payment    $776.10
FTB A                       $186.20
Supplement              $ 29.48    
FTB B                       $153.34
Supplement              $ 14.04
Rent Allowance          $161.14 
                                $1320.30 per F/N or $34,327.8‬0 per annum

Health Care Card

State Govt Concessions (D/Licence, Public Transport, Cost of Living, Electricity/Gas/Water etc)

Child Care Subsidies

NB:

Parenting Payment will be income tested for financial assets of more than $198k (Super is excluded)
FBT A Benefit (Income tested for income more than 80k Per Annum)
FBT B Benefit (Income tested for income more than 100k Per Annum)

https://www.qld.gov.au/families/financial/payments#single

Wow thanks for putting so much effort into that for me. Really appreciate it.

When you say 198k financial assets does that include cash in the bank ie as long as I have under $198k cash no penalties? 

I will be eligible for my super in 2 years. If I withdrew all of it in cash and it exceeded the 198k I assume I would be penalised. Better draw down smaller or a monthly amount?

FTB A and B are they actually received as a payment or just a reduction in tax payable if you are working?

I have been out of the country for around 5 years now and  don't have any property in Oz anymore so definitely not a resident for tax purposes. Will that be any sort of problem or I should qualify immediately?

Thanks again for your trouble

When you say 198k financial assets does that include cash in the bank ie as long as I have under $198k cash no penalties? 

Correct.

I will be eligible for my super in 2 years. If I withdrew all of it in cash and it exceeded the 198k I assume I would be penalised. Better draw down smaller or a monthly amount?

Correct, your payment will reduce by 40 cents for every dollar you earn over this amount. I don't think small irregular lump sum withdrawals will be a problem. Though you will have to inform CL of additional cash at bank. 

FTB A and B are they actually received as a payment or just a reduction in tax payable if you are working?

FBT A & B are regular F/N payments but are checked by the ATO at tax time for allowable income. The supplements are only paid after this reconciliation and are only paid yearly.

Will that be any sort of problem or I should qualify immediately?

Payment after one week shouldn't be a problem. As there is dispensation for no previous residence if your son is an Australian citizen.

I would call CL and double check all of this information to be on the safe side.

Lump sum withdrawals and waiting periods are complex!

Also remember your entitlements change as your son ages.

Good Luck! ????

Just wondering, after my child turns 8, I believe the parenting allowance above will cease as detailed above, though I think Part A and B continue until the child is 16 yo?

So what then? I would be just over 60 yo. Assuming I hadn't found work would I have to go onto Newstart or does the parenting allowance decrease or ??? 

I arrived back in Australia a year ago after several years away , and applied for  Newstart the following day . It was granted immediately and the first payment was back dated to that day , So you'll have that money till you get the parenting payment sorted out . Be aware though , that you have to show evidence of applying  for 20 jobs a month and report weekly to an employment office while on Newstart 

20 hours ago, gimo said:

I arrived back in Australia a year ago after several years away , and applied for  Newstart the following day . It was granted immediately and the first payment was back dated to that day , So you'll have that money till you get the parenting payment sorted out . Be aware though , that you have to show evidence of applying  for 20 jobs a month and report weekly to an employment office while on Newstart 

This year C/L introduced the liquid assets waiting period for Newstart.

If you have 11k to more than 23k in the bank there is a waiting period of 1 to 13 weeks.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/topics/liquid-assets-waiting-period/28631

22 hours ago, Kenny202 said:

Just wondering, after my child turns 8, I believe the parenting allowance above will cease as detailed above, though I think Part A and B continue until the child is 16 yo?

So what then? I would be just over 60 yo. Assuming I hadn't found work would I have to go onto Newstart or does the parenting allowance decrease or ??? 

Once the child turns 8 you transition to Newstart (Principal Carer)

Newstart Allowance (Principal Carer) is a payment for single parents whose youngest child is between 8 and under 16 years of age.

Single, with a dependent child or children $601.10 F/N.

Parents on this payment are required to spend 15 hours per week on an approved mutual obligation activity ie looking for work, job club, retraining etc.

As your Aged Pension age will be 67 years you will be eligible when your son is 15 years old.

Welcome back to Oz ????

FAMILY TAX BENEFIT PART A

For each child Per fortnight
0 - 12 years $186.20
13 - 15 years $242.20
16 - 19 years (who meets study requirements) $242.20
0 - 19 years in an approved care organisation $59.78

FAMILY TAX BENEFIT PART B

Age of youngest child Per fortnight
0 - 5 years $158.34
5 - 18 years $110.60
2 hours ago, LosLobo said:

Once the child turns 8 you transition to Newstart (Principal Carer)

Newstart Allowance (Principal Carer) is a payment for single parents whose youngest child is between 8 and under 16 years of age.

Single, with a dependent child or children $601.10 F/N.

Parents on this payment are required to spend 15 hours per week on an approved mutual obligation activity ie looking for work, job club, retraining etc.

As your Aged Pension age will be 67 years you will be eligible when your son is 15 years old.

Welcome back to Oz ????

FAMILY TAX BENEFIT PART A

For each child Per fortnight
0 - 12 years $186.20
13 - 15 years $242.20
16 - 19 years (who meets study requirements) $242.20
0 - 19 years in an approved care organisation $59.78

FAMILY TAX BENEFIT PART B

Age of youngest child Per fortnight
0 - 5 years $158.34
5 - 18 years $110.60

So at the Newstart (principal carer) stage the fortnightly payment would be

$601.10 + 186.20 + 110.60 = $897 F/N

I could top that up with 500 F/N from Super

About $700 a week. Would be tough going with even cheap rent around $300 a week. Be only just doable living on $400 (8000 baht these days ???? ) a week to cover food, electricity, fuel etc in Thailand let alone in Australia. Mind you with so many people with serious debt commitments every month $400 a week possibly what a lot of people are living on in Oz after loan / credit card payments. 

Can anyone living in Australia now think it is possible / comment? I don't drink nor need to go out to restaurants etc. Fishing, beach, picnics I am happy with. When most people talk about cost of living in Oz it seems to be all about how much a carton or a Schooner of beer is lol. Not a concern for me. Two of the biggest savings living here and by far trumps Australia is cheap rent (around a 1/4 rental costs in Australia) and food providing you can cook. We eat like kings every day here usually between 100-150 baht for three people a meal and left overs next day as well. 

I'm guessing rental assistance doesn't apply after child 8yo

Really going to have to sit down and have a good look at everything. Been over here 5 years now so pretty much out of touch with the cost of living in Oz. I'm quite happy to have a simple life these days. Pretty much have everything I need or want.   

6 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

So at the Newstart (principal carer) stage the fortnightly payment would be

$601.10 + 186.20 + 110.60 = $897 F/N

I could top that up with 500 F/N from Super

About $700 a week. Would be tough going with even cheap rent around $300 a week. Be only just doable living on $400 (8000 baht these days ???? ) a week to cover food, electricity, fuel etc in Thailand let alone in Australia. Mind you with so many people with serious debt commitments every month $400 a week possibly what a lot of people are living on in Oz after loan / credit card payments. 

Can anyone living in Australia now think it is possible / comment? I don't drink nor need to go out to restaurants etc. Fishing, beach, picnics I am happy with. When most people talk about cost of living in Oz it seems to be all about how much a carton or a Schooner of beer is lol. Not a concern for me. Two of the biggest savings living here and by far trumps Australia is cheap rent (around a 1/4 rental costs in Australia) and food providing you can cook. We eat like kings every day here usually between 100-150 baht for three people a meal and left overs next day as well. 

I'm guessing rental assistance doesn't apply after child 8yo

Really going to have to sit down and have a good look at everything. Been over here 5 years now so pretty much out of touch with the cost of living in Oz. I'm quite happy to have a simple life these days. Pretty much have everything I need or want.   

You forgot FTB A & B Supplements = $43.52 F/N (though paid annually)

Rent Allowance is payable $161.14 F/N

So total is $1,102.56.

C/L is a bit vague about regular lump sum withdrawals from Super... they are happy with one off withdrawals. Refer attached link.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/topics/lump-sums-while-income-support/28961

As I said before lump sum withdrawals are complex and you really need to check with C/L first.

$300 would be a good estimate for accommodation in a regional centre not in Sydney/Melbourne/Brisbane.

I would suggest living close to friends/family for support.

Live in a regional centre close to schools where you don't need a car and can use free local off peak public transport.

Running a small car at $160/week (based on State Automobile Assn calculations, irrespective if new or used) is prohibitive. Uber can be your friend.

Living say in Queensland would save money on heating/cooling, clothing costs.

You would have a lot of spare time on your hands maybe growing vegetables for yourself and bartering at growers markets would help.

You are only 55 years old, there is always work for those who want it. You like cooking there is always work in the food industry.

You could get free trade training as a chef, courtesy of the Govt.

Good Luck

Archived