Five dead, seven injured as student hits van carrying Cambodians

webfact

Five dead, seven injured as student hits van carrying Cambodians

1pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Five people died and seven were injured when a car driven by a student on the way to university collided with a minivan carrying Cambodian workers to the border. 

Most of the dead were from the same family and included children. 

The student survived and is in hospital. 

The accident occurred on the Wattananakhorn to Aranyaprathet Road in Sa Kaew province opposite the temple of Wat Non Jik. 

1pm1.jpg

Picture: Daily News

A Toyota Camry driven by Burapha University student Chaiwat Saithong, 20, was on its roof having taken half the side off a minivan. 

Police said the student had hit the central reservation kerb, collided with a tree then been propelled into the side of the minivan that was on its way to Aranyaprathet from Bangkok with workers from Cambodia and their family.

Dead in the van was the Thai driver aged 28 and four Cambodians aged 51, 17, 16 and 11. 

Two children were among the seven Cambodians injured and taken to Wattananakhorn Hospital along with the student. 

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-09-13

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What can you say.....

I suppose, at least they weren't trapped inside and burned to death like that other time.

Probably won't be enough to warrant another vocal crackdown that states they need to stop the carnage.

I really think that most Thai raised Thais aren't mentally developed enough to safely drive vehicles. 

How did a 20 yo manchild get a camry to drive.

Very sad for the passengers deaths

I came here 20 years ago and met guy in Bangkok he said Thais cant drive they cant go from buffaloes to cars in one step. Then i thought it was maybe a tad harsh 

NOW I know completely utterly true

Fast cars limited intelligence no forward thinking no driving test/ lesson to speak of he perfectly right

24 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

What can you say.....

I suppose, at least they weren't trapped inside and burned to death like that other time.

Probably won't be enough to warrant another vocal crackdown that states they need to stop the carnage.

I really think that most Thai raised Thais aren't mentally developed enough to safely drive vehicles. 

LAST sentance is perfectly correct.....I agree with you 100 %

26 minutes ago, poohy said:

Very sad for the passengers deaths

I came here 20 years ago and met guy in Bangkok he said Thais cant drive they cant go from buffaloes to cars in one step. Then i thought it was maybe a tad harsh 

NOW I know completely utterly true

Fast cars limited intelligence no forward thinking no driving test/ lesson to speak of he perfectly right

What a stupid thing to say

1 hour ago, essox essox said:

LAST sentance is perfectly correct.....I agree with you 100 %

And I agree with your agreement.  My wifes family come from Nan and last time they visited us they wanted to visit the hot springs . I suggested she took them as hot springs leave me cold. She told me they would prefer me to take them as they prefer  my driving.

3 hours ago, JoePai said:

Ok i will bite 

Why is it stupid ? Camrys are expensive cars, hes a 20 year old student

So its borrowed or Nicked i doubt hes bought with his pocket money has he???

2 hours ago, smedly said:

someone was speeding and driving way beyond their capabilities 

very sad loss of life

RIP

And drunk of course, which is normal here. Innocent people lose their lives and rich kids get a slap on the wrist. 

I hope that he'll have nightmares until the end of his days. 

There's nothing you can do about flying vehicles no matter how much hone your skills here over time its always in your mind how much will it hurt or will it be goodnight when the lethal weapon the pickup driving Thai careers out of control from any possible direction????

10 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

And drunk of course, which is normal here. Innocent people lose their lives and rich kids get a slap on the wrist. 

Or maybe he just had a blow out tyre ?? Or a mechanical failure ??

3 hours ago, JoePai said:

More than stupid coupled with a reference to lack of intelligence, now that Is really something, isn't it. 

2 hours ago, smedly said:

someone was speeding and driving way beyond their capabilities 

very sad loss of life

RIP

Would you care to post the thorough 1 minute accident investigation you undertook at the accident scene, I'm sure many would appreciate such an in-depth review of the situation. 

24 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Seems you were also part of the on-site accident investigation - see post #20 for more detail. 

4 hours ago, poohy said:

Maybe he bought it, had it bought for him or maybe it was the family car?  Around B200k for a car that could be 17/18 years old is not a lot to find/finance, is it?

What's with the derogatory "manchild"?

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Maybe he bought it or had it bought for him, around B200k is not a lot to find/finance, is it?

What's with the derogatory "manchild"?

man-child

noun

noun: manchild

an immature man.

For someone driving fast enough to turn his own car over and in the act  kill numerous others i would say its a pretty spot on 

5 minutes ago, poohy said:

man-child

noun

an immature man.

For someone driving fast enormouslyugh to turn his own car over and in the act  kill numerous others i would say its a pretty spot on 

Another expert accident analysis expert, unfortunately your investigation is flawed, the students car didn't "turn over" making the findings a complete waste of time. 

16 minutes ago, poohy said:

man-child

noun

an immature man.

For someone driving fast enough to turn his own car over and in teact  kill numerous others i would say its a pretty spot on 

Yes, it is spot-on, for a derogatory remark.  My point was, why use that term when you know nothing about the circumstances, or the driver?  Were you using it as a Thai-basher's generalisation, perhaps?

You read that the car hit a kerb first which could start the launch, before being assisted by a tree, didn't you?   A car can be rolled at 30mph if it hits a solid obstacle and the front wheels are turned, which is what would happen if a kerb is hit at an angle.  This car could have been on it's roof as a result of the impact with the van. 

Has it been stated that hitting the kerb was his fault?  Was this a high-speed road, perhaps his speed was perfectly reasonable for the circumstances?

Archived