Marriage Visa by Agent

Hi members,

I've not had a marriage visa for over 15 years  but need one soon, for hopefully just one year.

My question is that I've been offered, by a reputable agent, that he can get me one, without needing the 400,000 in the bank.

What do the immigration say when you go to do the 90 day reporting? Can they question why you didn't  get the Visa in your home province etc. Basically, how safe/legit is it?

If you are not complying with the 400k or the monthly income rule, for money in your name, then it's not legit.

I've no idea how safe it is, as I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. As someone who's also been here a while like yourself, t's just not worth the risk that somewhere along the line it causes an issue - unless you're desperate and no other choice. 

Immigration has also had a real push with compiling electronic data and linking data/ matching data in their systems in recent years. As they do that, automating data checks, audit trails and inconsistencies becomes easier for them too, as they claim in the interests of national security.

Example: look at the TM30 where they are capturing everyone's address electronically now. It would be easy to cross ref that digitally to where a visa has been issued, and generate an exception report for those that don't match as to location and even specific date. That's the type of thing they could do digitally if they chose to, when they talk of data collection being in the interests of natural security. Visa done on 13 Sep in Nakorn Nowhere, but you are shown as living in Udon Out There on 13 Sep = exception. They could also pin the visa details input into the system down to a specific user ID too.

We live in very different times than when all these stamps were paper and manual only. Sure they still collect a lot of paper, but key fields now get input and there's a lot of digital data around, making checks much easier.

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1

OP, I dont know of any agents that can do marriage extensions, usually because of the fact that everything gets sent to head office for further checks. They are not just getting immigration to sign off on some missing funds like a retire extension, a marriage extension is photos, home visits etc would all need to be fabricated. If you are going down the agent route why not keep it simple and get a retire extension.

The out of province shouldn't present any problems, you lived elsewhere for some time, thats not illegal. So long as you officially move back to your province (TM30, TM28 etc) then you can do 90 day reports etc.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I need a work permit.

I also extend based on marriage so that if I ever want to I can work. 

A lot of agents don't seem to understand or don't want to understand that you can have a WP on top of a marriage visa.

One reason for that is that agents like to sell combined packages for visa extension + work permit, so they can make more money out of you. If HR get back-handers they will also go along with it too. 

So my recommendations would be:

1) Just do the marriage extension completely + legally and above board yourself. Keeps you in control

Then whenever you work anywhere get your company to do the WP which they usually outsource to an agent.

I know that it is possible to use the marriage extension for a work permit, so this is what I do. Most employers and agents are fine when you say you've done in the past, even if they aren't familiar with it and you're the first to do.

WP is a completely separate process. They only need a copy of your passport which of course shows the relevant pages for extension stamp, re-entry, etc

The advantage is if you leave your job you carry on life as normal

2) If the 400k is an issue. Get your employer to do the extension based on business + do the WP as a package. Some even throw in the 90 days in theat package and also cancellation when you leave

Disadvantage is when you leave your visa extension gets cancelled, and you have limited time to either leave the country or extend based on something else. This is why I chose marriage extension.

I did once in the past and it was a bit messy when I once switched from business to marriage, and I ended up with a small fine for petty stuff, but again not rocket science.

You could also go back to retirement.

Both options are much better than paying an agent to avoid the 400k, which is not legit. Even if the agent claims to be or appears "reputable" the practice isn't reputable or legit at all.

Cheers 

Fletch ????

Edited by fletchsmile

Just to add, there are plenty of agents that will help you thru a legit marriage extension, if you really aren't comfortable doing yourself. You could then use a separate or same agent to do your WP if and when you get a job.

e.g.

https://www.sunbeltasia.com/marriage-visa

If the 400k is an issue. Then wait and switch to business when you actually get a job, and let an agent handle that legally

15 minutes ago, fletchsmile said:

One reason for that is that agents like to sell combined packages for visa extension + work permit, so they can make more money out of you. If HR get back-handers they will also go along with it too. 

Which agent in or near Pattaya can provide this combined package?

PM is is fine. ????

31 minutes ago, fletchsmile said:

Nobody sells this package, a lawyer etc will set you up a company (3 thai employees etc) that gives you a job, WP etc.

There are not any agents doing magic extensions that include a WP

53 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Nobody sells this package, a lawyer etc will set you up a company (3 thai employees etc) that gives you a job, WP etc.

There are not any agents doing magic extensions that include a WP

Rubbish

There are loads of agents that offer a package of business visa extension + WP. All the major accountancy firms have departments that do this, eg PWC, Mazars etc.

All it is doing is pricing together two separate services in a combined price as a package.

My last company used PWC. I was on a marriage extension. They wanted to change it to business extension + WP. I refused so they did just WP. Following year they wanted to do business extension + visa package again. 

By packaging the two services into a single price they were saying if you want our services as an agent you must pay for the package and effectively buy both. I didn't want that. For this reason I would not recommend PwC to anyone on visa services.

I actually had to find another agent for my employer (so used the one my previous employer did) and get approval not to have someone do all services and pay the full whack when I needed only one.

But most expats will be happy with agents combining all the services in a single package price. Particularly if the employer is paying.

There were something like 20 expats in the company and PWC were charging a package price to virtually all of them to do both services (and others) of business visa extension + WP.

I was the exception being on marriage visa I was doing myself + agent doing WP. For everyone else the agent did all Visa stuff, original, extension, 90 days etc + WP

Absolutely no need whatsoever to set up a company

Edited by fletchsmile

20 minutes ago, fletchsmile said:

Rubbish

There are loads of agents that offer a package of business visa extension + WP. All the major accountancy firms have departments that do this, eg PWC, Mazars etc.

All it is doing is pricing together two separate services in a combined price as a package.

My last company used PWC. I was on a marriage extension. They wanted to change it to business extension + WP. I refused so they did just WP. Following year they wanted to do business extension + visa package again. 

By packaging the two services into a single price they were saying if you want our services as an agent you must pay for the package and effectively buy both. I didn't want that. I actually had to find another agent for my employer and get approval not to have someone do all services and pay the full whack when I needed only one.

But most expats will be happy with agents combining all the services in a single package price. Particularly if the employer is paying.

There were something like 20 expats in the company and PWC were charging a package price to virtually all of them to do both services (and others) of business visa extension + WP.

I was the exception being on marriage visa I was doing myself + agent doing WP. For everyone else the agent did all Visa stuff, original, extension, 90 days etc + WP

Absolutely no need whatsoever to set up a company

You have a job !!!!! Otherwise why have a WP ???

To get a WP you need a JOB. Nobody is doing extensions and a magic WP with no job.

Maybe I am not understanding you. You are saying these companies will do an extension and get you a WP without a job ? If so, why are you needing a WP, you dont have a job.

Of course there are agents that will provide "the service" of running around and take care of extension, WP, they will pick up your dry cleaning if you pay them. But As Above, "There are not any agents selling extensions that include a WP" 

1 hour ago, ExpatDraco said:

Which agent in or near Pattaya can provide this combined package?

PM is is fine. ????

Sorry I don't know specifically for Pattaya.

As I say any of the major accounting firms will have a paralegal department that does this.

The company I used in Bangkok which I was very happy with was Apisith & Alliance. The company I worked for before the last one did that. Their service was excellent in contrast to PwC. They would do WP only with me doing the marriage visa - they just wanted copies of my passport.

For all other expats they did WP + extension + 90 days etc etc. The lady who used to help me 3 or 4 years ago is still in the paralegal team at the bottom

http://apisithalliance.com/our-team/

Sunbelt used to do, and I believe they still do. They used to even have all the prices listed on their website. eg work permit; visa extension; work permit + visa extension (combined). But they no longer publish prices. 

https://www.sunbeltasia.com/visas-and-immigration

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

You have a job !!!!! Otherwise why have a WP ???

To get a WP you need a JOB. Nobody is doing extensions and a magic WP with no job.

Maybe I am not understanding you. You are saying these companies will do an extension and get you a WP without a job ? If so, why are you needing a WP, you dont have a job.

Of course there are agents that will provide "the service" of running around and take care of extension, WP, they will pick up your dry cleaning if you pay them. But As Above, "There are not any agents selling extensions that include a WP" 

Of course a job links with the WP and business visa extension ????

I can explain it for you but I can't understand it for you LOL

Neeranam was talking about getting a job , so I said as a second option

2) If the 400k is an issue. Get your employer to do the extension based on business + do the WP as a package. Some even throw in the 90 days in theat package and also cancellation when you leave

Perhaps I should also have explained to you that if you have an employer you also likely have a job .

But I assumed that was kind of obvious, particularly when I added:

If the 400k is an issue. Then wait and switch to business when you actually get a job, and let an agent handle that legally

Edited by fletchsmile

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I can think of some reasons.  Perhaps if someone is going for Permanent Residency, but doesn't need to work.

8 hours ago, fletchsmile said:

Just to add, there are plenty of agents that will help you thru a legit marriage extension, if you really aren't comfortable doing yourself. You could then use a separate or same agent to do your WP if and when you get a job.

e.g.

https://www.sunbeltasia.com/marriage-visa

My issue is that I need a marriage Visa then a WP without having to leave the country. If I get a working visa, it could be difficult. 

If you are on any kind of non-imm visa now, there will be no need to leave the country:

1st: go to immigration and change your extension of stay to based on marriage to a Thai wife. You are just changing your non-imm visa/extension status (assuming you have one)

You need 400k in the bank 2 months before and one month after;  or 40k a month income

rest of the requirement are here:

http://www.samutprakanimmigration.go.th/list-of-documents-for-support-thai-wife/

If you need any help, just shout.

If you aren't comfortable doing the marriage extension yourself then reputable agents can and will provide the service to do the marriage extension.

I did it myself first time. Got a couple of things wrong as my case was complicated because of an ex-employer messing up. But they just told me what I needed to do to proceed

and I made the corrections

2nd: Once successful they give you 1 month extension pending approval. If you leave the country during that month you need a re-entry permit. If not, nothing more to do. 

During that month they check at the ampheur you are still legally married. After 1 month you come back again to hear the result and they give you the other 11 months. You also need to show them the 400k is still in the bank account 

3rd: Once you have that. Your visa status is sorted. If you are going to leave Thailand for any reason in the next year then get a re-entry permit same day. I just do a multi-re-entry every time so no need to make another trip

4th If and when you get a job. The company should look after your work permit. Any agent who knows what they are doing knows that as long as you have an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai (and most other non-imm extensions except retirement), then you can apply for a WP.

The agent I gave in the link above did a great job for me getting a work permit knowing I had a marriage extension already (and of course now had a job)

They will need your original passport and copies of the key pages of married to a Thai wife. The labour/WP department doesn't mind what extension of stay or visa (whether marriage or business) it is as long as based on non-imm status; and not a retirement. All they want to see is you're legally here for visa purposes. The rest of the stuff the WP department need is all company and job driven. That likely will require an agent or a very competent employer.

5th The beauty of the marriage visa/extension is that it doesn't rely on you having a job/WP, it relies on you being married. If at any time you stop work it's still valid if you're still married to your Thai wife. So you can take a job as and when you feel like it, without leaving the country for all the visa stuff, as long as you get a WP, every time you get a new job.

The only thing I'd seriously recommend is don't go for any agent who promises to be able to do a marriage visa without 400k in the bank or 40k a month. That's a legal  requirement. You may well cheat the system and may never have a problem.

But if it did go pear shape (and the risk of it doing so these days is increasing as their systems improve), you have trouble with immigration, fraud, your employer etc etc

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1