BANGKOK
Elves377

Rental deposit - Unreasonable Claims of Damage?

In the last Condo I lived in, the rollers ofmy computer chair made some minor damage to the floor as shown in the pic. Damage is in the living room. (fwiw, the same chair did no damage to the wooden floor of my previous and current condo rooms).

One quote is from the a contractor appointed by the juristic office and one quote is from a sub contractor through my real estate agent. They both quote to redo the whole living room instead of just tht damaged area, claiming that otherwise the colour will be inconsistent. 

In there is a sub quote for 18k to rewax the whole floor of the living room, which I think the owner is happy with. But to me this still seems excessive given how minor the damage is. If the owner insists, what can I do? She had already delayed my deposit for 6 weeks until I chased her up. She has given some back now but I still have 45k with her. 

line_1568346759722.jpg

line_1568346718010.jpg

1568347026789.jpg

Looks bad to be sure.. if this is a lot worse then the rest of the room I can understand the owner. Often they can't replace just a part of it. 

If waxin solves it then that would be great. How long did you stay.. if that is in just a year then I can understand the owner wanting it fixed if it is several years i am more on your side.

• Like 2

@brokenbone

Didn't even think I would get charged for this. Owner only bought this issue up 4 weeks after I moved out when I chased up about my deposit. 

Freshly painted toenails ftw

2 minutes ago, sherwood said:

If it was my floor I would want it fixed. 

Get rid of that chair mate, seems like it causes nothing but trouble 55

Yeah ti's just an ikea chair. As I said, didn't cause any damage at two other rooms I lived in so never considered thsi would happen. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, madmen said:

Your kidding? 

Certainly not. See post #5, it's obvious that the landlord don't want to return the deposit (or all of it). Normal in Thailand.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

And this is why i refuse to move in anywhere thats 2+ months deposit as they just keep ya money, 1 is about manageable although still <deleted>.

• Like 2

it has come off because it is old and the surface has started to break down(cheap coating, we have the same problem in our house) probably due to sunlight on the floor area and the rollers simply putting pressure  on it. A sand and re-coat would bring it back up, they do not prepare the surface area properly before coating here, this only happens when it is poorly done originally, the coating they put on has not bonded with the timber.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Certainly not. See post #5, it's obvious that the landlord don't want to return the deposit (or all of it). Normal in Thailand.

indeed

the flux of money seems to work only in a one way here

the landlord try always to charge you with something and do not give the deposit back or a part of it.

The best thing IMHO is aceept only 1 month deposit and do not pay the last month of rental

so when you give them the key back the last day of the last month they can try to rip off you

but at least you are free to agree or not.