Rental deposit - Unreasonable Claims of Damage?

On 9/13/2019 at 11:15 AM, Elves377 said:

They both quote to redo the whole living room instead of just tht damaged area, claiming that otherwise the colour will be inconsistent. 

Looking at your photo, the colour/shade is not consistent to begin with!

23 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Yeah I'd want the whole floor re-done unless it can be guaranteed the new pieces of wood match.

If it was mine though I'd get the floor sanders in and sand it all back to bare wood and redo the stain and wax.

Yup, that is what we do with people who do not take care of our property.  Sorry, no sympathy, pay up and move on and maybe next time you will respect the next accommodation that you rent.

On 9/13/2019 at 6:37 AM, Vacuum said:

What a load of <deleted>. The damage is hardly noticeable, and could be called normal wear and tear.

Was your first sentence a comment to your second one?

The only thing that is BS here, is your view on it. The damage is clearly enough to ask for compensation. Maybe not to you, but to most other persons.

7 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Was your first sentence a comment to your second one?

The only thing that is BS here, is your view on it. The damage is clearly enough to ask for compensation. Maybe not to you, but to most other persons.

I compared the "damage" to the floor in front of my desktop. But I understand from the replies, that many posters whould need a psychiatrist if they noticed a small scratch on their vehicles.

On 9/13/2019 at 11:56 AM, Don Mega said:

Yeah I'd want the whole floor re-done unless it can be guaranteed the new pieces of wood match.

If it was mine though I'd get the floor sanders in and sand it all back to bare wood and redo the stain and wax.

I agree that's the right way to do it, too.

3 hours ago, Vacuum said:

I compared the "damage" to the floor in front of my desktop. But I understand from the replies, that many posters whould need a psychiatrist if they noticed a small scratch on their vehicles.

Yes, I know. It´s is always the many that are wrong and need help in the mind of the ones that really need it. :cheesy::crazy:

Your problem is that you no longer have any leverage regarding your deposit. Had you still been living in the condo, a little manual sanding, wood stain and varnish would have taken care of what appears to be very minor wear and tear, though if your landlady is as venal as I suspect she is, she would no doubt have found some other excuse to keep your deposit.

I notice that item 1 in the handwritten estimate refers to water damage, not damage from wear as you state; is this just a mistake on the part of the potential contractor?

In any event, for what is clearly an already worn wooden floor, your landlady has set you up nicely for getting the whole shebang done over, at your expense. 

I would advise against a confrontational, direct approach, but you may want to try the consumer hotline that deals with disputes of this kind - show them the picture and the estimates - even if they only arbitrate the claim to, say, half the estimate, it would help you, though you'd have to be sure that any settlement would involve you receiving the balance of your deposit - cash in hand and count your fingers afterwards.

Super easy to fix...

Fixing that once a year in my computer room, 1500 Baht to the condo guy, just because i am generous. After all it's half an hour work.

They quote you 880 Baht per sqm, that should be the price... if color doesn't match then that's because they are unskilled fools who don't know their work. And how do they even know if it doesn't match if they didn't try it..

As a tenant AND landlord, you are getting skrewed here. 

They just want to redo the whole room floor paid by you.

On 9/13/2019 at 12:51 AM, Elves377 said:

Yeah ti's just an ikea chair. As I said, didn't cause any damage at two other rooms I lived in so never considered thsi would happen. 

You should also be able to get those plastic sheets you can put underneath the chairs at IKEA. These work great, allow you to roll unimpeded and protect the floor.

7 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Depends on how you were raised. Some of us were taught to be respectful of others and their property.

15 hours ago, alacrity said:

Depends on how you were raised. Some of us were taught to be respectful of others and their property.

I was raised in a country where landlords don't ripoff there tenanants and everything is done with common sense.

There's nothing on the wood guys, open your eyes. 

Look at the marked spots, it's the wax that is coming off, that's why it looks like bubbles that popped. There are no scratches, this is total normal from use.

You also see there's too much wax applied, some monkey that doesn't know anything has prolly done this.

Every 12-18 month you should rewax a wood floor, that's usual maintenance, i bet she never did it - now she wants op to pay for it.

It's just so typical here.

wax.PNG

On 9/13/2019 at 1:26 PM, alacrity said:

Damage is obviously apparent and [the assumption is] it wasn't present when the tenant moved in. Ergo, it was caused by the last tenant.

Yes, but a floor is for walking on, put furnitures on, sometimes you have to move a table or chairs, which will leave some sort of marks on the floor after a time.

On 9/16/2019 at 1:19 PM, Vacuum said:

Yes, but a floor is for walking on, put furnitures on, sometimes you have to move a table or chairs, which will leave some sort of marks on the floor after a time.

Can't disagree with that premise. However, repeated marking in a localized area shows a lack of care and attention by the attendant.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2019 at 11:33 AM, brokenbone said:

i would go with wax, much cheaper and its not deep damage, just the surface.

must say your painted toenails goes well with

the surface damage color tho,

why dont you stay and fix it yourself ?

I would say those blue toenails are more damaging than the surface damage to the wooden floors.

On 9/14/2019 at 8:53 AM, Joromei said:

Never had a problem with deposit return when I rented, just didn't pay the equivalent of deposit in rent. After first loss of deposit I learnt to be careful, Thais don't like to return money once it's in their hands 

So what did you pay as a deposit?

Archived