Oh Man! Foreign tourist racks up 50K bar tab after ringing the bell 20 times!

webfact

5 hours ago, kensisaket said:

I don't even drink; but, I know damn well they would not have allowed anyone to ring up a 50k bill without making sure they got paid long before it got to that amount.  

This isn't true. They place the bill in your bin after every buy, and the better places have the running balance update type bills, but asking for actual payment has never been asked of me until I leave in any bar in Bangkok or Patts - and we've had some nights where 50k is gone past pretty comfortably. 

I'd agree that the bar might want to make sure you knew how much the bill had gotten to after it gets into bigger numbers but they don't ask for payment until the end in my experience 

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Oman Oman Oman he's a very bad example for his teetotalling country out with his tongue when he gets home????

Not a teetotalling country at all,you have obviously never been there.

Oman is a very progressive Arab country where alcohol is very much available.

Last time I went to my favourite bar i managed 35K and thought that was excessive (It was my Birthday) until I looked at the hall of fame!. Who the hell spends 195K in 3 hrs! I would have though most of the staff would have been on the floor paralytic with that bill!

Not necessarily. It depends on the bar. Some bars ask what they would like to drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I was in a bar in Pattaya, and I bought 1 lady a drink, and I had a small Leo.

I decided to move on, and was presented with a bill of over 700 baht, and when I questioned it, the owner said I had ordered drinks for other girls. Had I been a newbie, I probably would have paid it begrudgingly, and moved on, but as I first visited there in 1991, and have lived in the N.E. for 15 years, as a matter of principle, I disputed it.

She wouldnt back down, and either would !, so she called the police, and minutes later they arrived in a pick-up (probably expecting a good pay day from stupid farang !).

It was then decided that I would have to go to Soi 9, in the back of the pick up, and when there, I was told I would be put in a cell for the night, and would appear in court in the morning. They were probably expecting me to bribe my way out of my now predicament, but, instead, I called a highly influential lawyer in Khon Kaen, and passed the phone over to the officer. To this day I do not know what was said, but on handing me the phone back, he told me I was free to go, and the matter was closed.

I find in a lot of places, up here included, some bars are trying scams, as an awful lot of them must be losing money day after day, with customer numbers drastically reduced. 

I want that lawyers number.....

5 hours ago, Steve Vincent said:

thats some party trick ‘ can’t believe he got a 44,000 waver from the police,. Everybody who’s visited Thailand know about the bell learnt very early after visiting Pattaya after being handed a 11,000 baht bin..... luckily back then it was 72 baht to the £ so didn’t take a big hit. Would have been disappointed with my Thai girlfriend who for some reason didn’t explain the bell routine - makes me laugh when reading with girlfriend which would indicate he’s just met her from a bar as clearly he don’t understand Thai culture ???? there one born every minute.

First night ever in Thailand , pre internet days and I was clueless.Walked into a sidestreet bar and one of the girls said to ring the bell in order to grab the tenders attention lol.

Fortunately the bar was pretty empty and sterling riding high so very little damage done , and as a bonus I got the barfine system explained to me, happy days !

I was on a package deal , staying at a 5* hotel on the south end of Patong bay , popular with honeymooners , absolutely no overnight ' guests ' allowed , never spent a single night actually sleeping there.

11 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Oman Oman Oman he's a very bad example for his teetotalling country out with his tongue when he gets home????

You can buy alcohol in Oman. 

It’s a relatively laid back place compared to much of the region. However that isn’t saying much when you consider it’s neighbours. 

That said, I’ve visited a few times, it’s a nice place. 

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe I go to the "wrong" places. But where I go if a customer would ring the bell he would get the bill for that right away. And if he does it again he would get another bill.

And if he does not notice his bill they would probably tell him that he just got another 2000B bill.

Are there any bars where you can ring the bell 5 times and nobody explains the rules? Maybe 2nd floor Patpong but otherwise I don't think so. But please correct me if I am wrong.

I was in a Walking Street bar, something I do once a year, and was having a very good time with five girls. When the check bin hit around 6,000 the owner came over and had a friendly chat and explained that they don't accept credit cards; cash only. Could I cover it? No problem.

12 hours ago, Mac98 said:

I was in a Walking Street bar, something I do once a year, and was having a very good time with five girls. When the check bin hit around 6,000 the owner came over and had a friendly chat and explained that they don't accept credit cards; cash only. Could I cover it? No problem.

And then what happened next ?

13 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I was in a bar in Pattaya, and I bought 1 lady a drink, and I had a small Leo.

I decided to move on, and was presented with a bill of over 700 baht, and when I questioned it, the owner said I had ordered drinks for other girls. Had I been a newbie, I probably would have paid it begrudgingly, and moved on, but as I first visited there in 1991, and have lived in the N.E. for 15 years, as a matter of principle, I disputed it.

She wouldnt back down, and either would !, so she called the police, and minutes later they arrived in a pick-up (probably expecting a good pay day from stupid farang !).

It was then decided that I would have to go to Soi 9, in the back of the pick up, and when there, I was told I would be put in a cell for the night, and would appear in court in the morning. They were probably expecting me to bribe my way out of my now predicament, but, instead, I called a highly influential lawyer in Khon Kaen, and passed the phone over to the officer. To this day I do not know what was said, but on handing me the phone back, he told me I was free to go, and the matter was closed.

I find in a lot of places, up here included, some bars are trying scams, as an awful lot of them must be losing money day after day, with customer numbers drastically reduced. 

and they wonder why tourist numbers are down

8 hours ago, batata said:

he's from Oman, muslim country..... muslims don't (are not supposed to) drink alcohol and don't frequent bars quite surprised with the post

Just because he is from a Muslim country does not mean he is a muslim!

18 minutes ago, bristolgeoff said:

telephone or line calls come on down here.my customer is ringing the bell.bet the bar was full and no one told him why the bar was full,strange that.then the bill

Plus it must have been the only "Full" bar in Pattaya.

17 hours ago, darksidedog said:

That's a serious reduction from the 44,300 the bar allege was outstanding, suggesting his claim of "padding the bill" was probably justified to some degree. Got to be pretty stupid though not to notice how excited everyone in the bar was after each time he rang the bell and realise what was going on.

I wonder if he clanged the bell multiple times but all at once and they counted each clang?  That is quite a bit different than clanging it once, then doing it again ten minutes later, then ten minutes later etc. 

18 hours ago, CharlieH said:

The Police should have immediately charged the bar owner with attempted fraud ! or extortion, and send a message to others not to try and fleece tourists, obvious they were not being truthful to allow/agree a reduction/settlement of that size.

He rang the bell twenty times, and I would presume every female staff member would get a drink at LD prices, maybe a rip-off tequila. It works out only about 15 drinks per round. 

It is far from 'obvious' that by doing a deal they were originally dishonest. With the high profit margins on a small glass of water being about 200 baht there is plenty of room for a deal, even leaving a share for the police which I guarantee they got!

Just another mug tourist too dumb for his own good acting the big man. Self control isn't big in that race. 

29 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

A lady drink a lot of the times is not alcoholic.

I have seen them use coconut milk and call it Malabu. If i buy a lady a drink i say, 'same price me ?' and that is normally accepted Coz if not, no drink. 

new law coming soon all bar bells must have a warning sign to protect the hordes of tourists arriving.       ???? ????

19 hours ago, sanemax said:

2500 baht per bell ring sounds reasonable , if there were 10 girls in the bar , plus the owner and cashier and his drink , 2500 Baht isnt an unreasonable amount .

He paid 700 Baht per bell ring ,which would buy 3 ladies drinks .

It would depend on how many people were in the bar as to whether his bill was padded or not .

The 50 000 Baht may have been the correct bill , as it was the bar owner that called the police

If correct nobody was capable of going home sober 555

Archived