One in seven public transport vehicles flunk new safety tests

webfact

One in seven public transport vehicles flunk new safety tests

By The Nation

800_bacf88230fb1b94.jpg?v=1568350408

About one in seven public transport vehicles have failed safety checks in the first week of a new programme by the Department of Land Transport (DLT).

Of the 7,088 vehicles tested nationwide September 2-11 in attempt to improve the standard of public transport, as many as 1,020 have failed.

The department ordered land transport offices nationwide to conduct a full check-up of public transport vehicles and drivers, DLT director-general Peerapol Thavornsubhajaroen said. “The check-up campaign is expected to take three months to complete,” he said. “During the first week (September 2-11), we already performed checks on 7,088 vehicles and found that 1,020 of them failed the evaluation.”

Peerapol said 1,212 of the tested vehicles were regular route vans, 2,381 were non-regular route vans, 2,219 regular route buses, 838 non-regular route buses, and 438 minibuses.

Vehicles failed the evaluation mostly because of a low-quality brake system, excessive black smoke emissions or an unauthorized modification to engines and gear systems, he said. “We ordered the owners to fix their failed vehicles and bring them back for another check-up within 15 days.”

There was better news concerning the public transport drivers, with three of 10,236 drivers failing the exam.

“We have already advised them how to prepare themselves before taking a remedial exam.”

The director-general said the vehicle tests include checks of the engine, vehicle body integrity, brake system, wheel alignment, lights, smoke emissions, acoustics, as well as ensuring there were no gas leaks.

The physical check-up for drivers include physical fitness, color blindness, reactions, eyes (depth and width perception), as well as a test on their general suitability as a public transport service provider.

Operators of public transport can bring their vehicles and drivers for a check-up at all land transport branches daily from 8.30am to 4.30pm, said Peerapol.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30376156

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-09-13

Well it's a start, let's hope it continues in the same vein and not just a flash in the pan like a lot of the crackdowns here.

I'm not surprised by the number of vehicles failing, I personally thought it would be higher, I am however very surprised at the number of drivers failing, I thought that would have been much much higher.

30 minutes ago, webfact said:

Vehicles failed the evaluation mostly because of a low-quality brake system, excessive black smoke emissions or an unauthorized modification to engines and gear systems,

So perhaps it's not so much of a joke after all?

We keep hearing about brake failure being blamed at accident scenes, looks like some of it could be true.

26 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

Well it's a start, let's hope it continues in the same vein and not just a flash in the pan like a lot of the crackdowns here.

Be a first if it truly turned out to be a "crackdown"

How many so called "crackdowns" have there been in the last year, from pollution to buses to public vehicles, the only "crackdown" that appears to have had any substance is the immigration ridiculousness! the rest are forgotten about before they ever really start!

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

“During the first week (September 2-11), we already performed checks on 7,088 vehicles and found that 1,020 of them failed the evaluation.”

Does anyone else think that is a rather long week? I was under the impression a week is seven days. 

It would be interesting to find out the percentage of each class of vehicles passed or failed and for what. The mini-vans are a popular target, but some of the busses also have issues. I am not surprised that brakes rated a mention in the report.

I drive in the city every day, and the number of buses belching those black clouds is MUCH more than a mere 15%...closer to 50-60%! And I always get stuck behind one. Not sure how they’re measuring it, but just using plain eye sight would give you a greater number. 

1 minute ago, P Funk said:

I drive in the city every day, and the number of buses belching those black clouds is MUCH more than a mere 15%...closer to 50-60%! And I always get stuck behind one. Not sure how they’re measuring it, but just using plain eye sight would give you a greater number. 

The  special  tool  needs  calibration  for  each  vehicle ie 500-1000,  you  cant  rely  on  eyes.

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

So perhaps it's not so much of a joke after all?

We keep hearing about brake failure being blamed at accident scenes, looks like some of it could be true.

It's only true if the vehicle/brakes aren't serviced /maintained periodically.

4 hours ago, Vacuum said:

What would this mean, especially the latter?

I assume things like diesels running on petrol and vice versa, the lack of air box,  rope instead of bolts to secure etc etc etc, on the gearbox side, i cant think if anything they could do to make it go faster with more noice that could be seen by an eagle eyed person, but that is some sort if going 10.000 in one week well done you guys, what am i saying Mrs can you get me a cold towel.

17 hours ago, Chazar said:

The  special  tool  needs  calibration  for  each  vehicle ie 500-1000,  you  cant  rely  on  eyes.

17 hours ago, Chazar said:

When i used to take HGVs for testing admittedly yonks ago in the UK a white board was placed alongside the exhaust, throttle to the floor and when the fuel pump governor kicked in it had to stop black smoke. So yes it can be checked by eye.

but to test the brakes without a rolling road and a weight simulator on the back, well very doubtful there is any accuracy at all !

so all the drivers are going to be tested for colour blindness??

Just what does this test entail??

I hope it is not the test i, along with about 50 others, did at Pattaya D L T...

we had to distinguish between RED, GREEN and YELLOW....like traffic lights....

The problem, in MY opinion, was that every body passed due to the fact that the TRAFFIC LIGHTS were all the size of DINNER PLATES...so how can anyone be identified with colour blindness???

On 9/13/2019 at 12:48 PM, webfact said:

“The check-up campaign is expected to take three months to complete,”

And there you have it......how can this campaign have any effect if it is just a one off?

Do they seriously think that 9ne burst of testing will set right what is an endemic situation?

What us needed is a yearly test on all vehicles which a network of testers and testing that really does the job. In other countries public transport is constantly monitored, not a one-off media circus

On 9/13/2019 at 1:03 PM, Golden Triangle said:

I'm not surprised by the number of vehicles failing, I personally thought it would be higher, I am however very surprised at the number of drivers failing, I thought that would have been much much higher.

A bus is an inanimate object, (notwithstanding the number of loose bits flapping as it runs along), and as such has neither influence, friends nor the ability to make a suitable contribution.

Archived