Windows updates causing problems on laptop - anyone else having problems

Speedo1968

I use a laptop

Running Win7 ( out of choice ) and MS Office.

About 2 months ago after installing updates I found there was a lag time of around 10 – 15 minutes before there was any sound e,g, BBC Radio or for a video to play.   Further, when using Bluetooth speaker the sound track sync when watching a downloaded video was out by +500 or more.

Yesterday morning ( Thursday 12th September ), I downloaded the following updates, I lost all sound and video.    Sound could be played via a Bluetooth speaker.

Please note I had made no changes to any other programs on my machine.

I went to a computer repair shop in KK they fixed it with sound and video starting almost straight away, lag time on sound when watching the same downloaded video is now 200.

The shop advised not to download updates.

My questions are:-

1 – Has / Is anyone else had the same problem ?

2 – Which of the updates could have caused the problem.

3 – What would the repair shop have done to solve the problem ?

4 – Should I stop installing updates ?

Below is a list of the updates that were download.

2019-09 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4516655)

2019-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4516065)

2019-09 Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4474419)

2019-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4516065)

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 8E5E01FE

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question 5. Why not install Windows 10?

What you are doing is the equivalent of driving a 1960s Ford Anglia.    LOL

Install ALL updates, OS & Security when they become available. NO PROBLEMS.

And no doubt, someone will suggest Linux.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Question 5. Why not install Windows 10?

What you are doing is the equivalent of driving a 1960s Ford Anglia.    LOL

Install ALL updates, OS & Security when they become available. NO PROBLEMS.

And no doubt, someone will suggest Linux.

Ah, those were the days except I was driving a 1952 Simca.

Perhaps at my age the idea of moving to Win10 or buying a new laptop ( which don't seem to last long anymore; my first was a Packard Bell that traveled 1,000's of miles every year only memory was not big enough; my daughter had a Toshiba that lasted 14 years with only damage to the hinge for the top, I had a Toshiba that died aged 3 years and 1 month, my recent machine just over 3 years old i have had to replace the battery !!! ) is a bit scary.   

1 hour ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 in 2015. So guess it's obsolete. Yes up date to Windows 10 try and find version 1809. It your system does not have the hardware to support windows 10 you will have to upgrade or buy a new computer.

Yes they stopped supporting so why should I continue loading updates ?

10 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Because his assertion is completely erroneous.

Support ends on the 14th of January 2020.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4057281/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020

He is confusing Mainstream Support meaning feature updates, with Extended Support, which means Security Updates and some dodgy telemetry add-ons.

02-Windows-10-life-cycle.jpg-13639953874

It's time for you to fit a solid state drive to your laptop. The poor performance of your laptop is creating creating a domino effect. With an SSD, update will install more smoothly and without you even noticing.

With HDD, you have to be a lot more careful of the order of the update installation. 

Fit SSD, clean install operating system. You can re-install Windows 7, but you should take the opportunity to install Windows 10 Pro. It really is not that different in use.

Installed properly, you'll likely find it more convenient.

3 hours ago, Beggar said:

"– Should I stop installing updates ?"

You should start to make backups or at least use restore points.

I do but not as often as I should.

Is there a way to remove an update if things go wrong again ?

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

Because his assertion is completely erroneous.

Support ends on the 14th of January 2020.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4057281/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020

He is confusing Mainstream Support meaning feature updates, with Extended Support, which means Security Updates and some dodgy telemetry add-ons.

02-Windows-10-life-cycle.jpg-13639953874

Yes, thats what I thought and thats why I continued to download updates.

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

I do but not as often as I should.

Is there a way to remove an update if things go wrong again ?

Yes, thats what I thought and thats why I continued to download updates.

It doesn't make sense to me that you are so worried that the support ends. If you use some anti virus protection and don't move around at sex sites and in the dark net there should be no problem. But if so you can use virtual OS/spaces on your computer. Then everything what you want will be destroyed after usage. 

If you use an Android device you will be wondering how many things you (have to) allow for apps - and normally they will not kill you. Have been using computers on an almost daily basis for the last almost 50 years (I started at a very young age since my father was in this business). I never ever had a problem because of missing updates. And I hate updates. Don't fix what is not broken. Some updates created even big problems. 

I stopped automatically updating Microsoft  years ago because every now and again they send an update which cause probems with our computers. Too many Microsoft Moments. I update only after their updates have been proven to not cause problems, so at the present time I do not update Windows 10.

6 minutes ago, Estrada said:

I stopped automatically updating Microsoft  years ago because every now and again they send an update which cause probems with our computers. Too many Microsoft Moments. I update only after their updates have been proven to not cause problems, so at the present time I do not update Windows 10.

Before win 10 had  many problems, since win 10 almost  nothing. Use  Dell xps13  ssd  drive

•  Get SSD drive as main system drive 240gb (you are still using HDD as the system drive??) You can get hdd tray and replace the DVD drive with a 2nd HDD.
  •  I would put win8.1 pro x64 + classic shell. 
  •  install windows firewall controll (wfc); use the medium profile with "display notifications" enabled.  (initially you can leave it at "low profile")
  •  install thai language pack (if needed)
  •  Disable windows updates (do not install)  and disable the windows update service.  Or choose "notifiy me but let me choose when to install".
  •  Use a derivative of chrome or mozilla/firefox browser that is up to date. 

Windows security updates are not all that necessary (on a constant basis). Other updates windows updates are usually not necessary either. Only install trusted programs that you actually need to solve a specific problem and monitor the internet traffic of what goes in/out.  Update individual programs as needed.

Windows 10 (even Pro) seems to take away user's ability to be left alone.

OP, something within the 12 Sept Win 7 update has affected your sound. On my laptop using Win 7 it appears to have disabled bluetooth so that accessories like wireless headphones are showing as 'device not connected'.

I've tried everything I know to fix this to no avail. My only successful workaround so far has been to use direct wired headphones.

Win7 is an excellent version and disabling updates, or at least installing only those that you are certain you need, is the way to go as the end of support approaches.

Hang onto Win7 if you value privacy. Don't touch Win10!

30 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

OP, something within the 12 Sept Win 7 update has affected your sound. On my laptop using Win 7 it appears to have disabled bluetooth so that accessories like wireless headphones are showing as 'device not connected'.

I've tried everything I know to fix this to no avail. My only successful workaround so far has been to use direct wired headphones.

Win7 is an excellent version and disabling updates, or at least installing only those that you are certain you need, is the way to go as the end of support approaches.

Don't touch W10 unless you want your Bluetooth phones to work.

18 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

It would be a good idea to stop.

Up until about 4 months ago I had an ACER with Win7 and had stopped the updates a couple of years ago, never a problem. Unfortunately the computer, like me, had started to suffer from old age, battery gone, speaker gone and started to get the dreaded blue screen.

I went out and got a new machine which has Win 10, oh for the good old days of Win 7.

34 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

I had problems getting Bluetooth to work 100% on 2 Win 7 laptops.

I solved it after reading various solutions online one of which was to install Windows Mobile Device Centre even though it states it is for Vista.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14

Download links are also available on CNet

You could try it - it may or may not work. Set a restore point first so you can undo if necessary.

40 minutes ago, Antonymous said:

Win 7 did not come with Bluetooth, you had to install it yourself. I tried everything I could to install it and never did get it to work and had to settle for direct connection on the Bluetooth headphones. 

Problem disappeared with Win 10 but you are right, wish I could go back to Win 7 even with the wires.

4 minutes ago, topt said:

I had problems getting Bluetooth to work 100% on 2 Win 7 laptops.

I solved it after reading various solutions online one of which was to install Windows Mobile Device Centre even though it states it is for Vista.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=14

Download links are also available on CNet

You could try it - it may or may not work. Set a restore point first so you can undo if necessary.

I tried that in my attempts to get Bluetooth working but unsuccessful. Glad to hear it is a solution in some cases.

Good point with the restore suggestion, I had to use that several times trying to get it to work.

18 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

Well there are a few very bad exploits that will let people do very nasty things to you or with your computer to others. 

They are so bad that Microsoft actually put out patches for them in September this year even as far back as Windows XP, (Security Update for Windows XPSP3 (KB4500331))I still have a couple of XP virtual machines that I spin up very occasionally.

Windows has so many hackers looking for unpached systems as soon as updates are released that while you may have been OK before you probably are not now. 

Of course if you never ever use your windows system online or on a network that is online you have no problems.

Archived