BANGKOK
Speedo1968

Windows updates causing problems on laptop - anyone else having problems

I use a laptop

Running Win7 ( out of choice ) and MS Office.

About 2 months ago after installing updates I found there was a lag time of around 10 – 15 minutes before there was any sound e,g, BBC Radio or for a video to play.   Further, when using Bluetooth speaker the sound track sync when watching a downloaded video was out by +500 or more.

Yesterday morning ( Thursday 12th September ), I downloaded the following updates, I lost all sound and video.    Sound could be played via a Bluetooth speaker.

Please note I had made no changes to any other programs on my machine.

I went to a computer repair shop in KK they fixed it with sound and video starting almost straight away, lag time on sound when watching the same downloaded video is now 200.

The shop advised not to download updates.

My questions are:-

1 – Has / Is anyone else had the same problem ?

2 – Which of the updates could have caused the problem.

3 – What would the repair shop have done to solve the problem ?

4 – Should I stop installing updates ?

Below is a list of the updates that were download.

2019-09 Servicing Stack Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4516655)

2019-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4516065)

2019-09 Security Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4474419)

2019-09 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4516065)

Installation status: Failed

Error details: Code 8E5E01FE

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Question 5. Why not install Windows 10?

What you are doing is the equivalent of driving a 1960s Ford Anglia.    LOL

Install ALL updates, OS & Security when they become available. NO PROBLEMS.

And no doubt, someone will suggest Linux.

Ah, those were the days except I was driving a 1952 Simca.

Perhaps at my age the idea of moving to Win10 or buying a new laptop ( which don't seem to last long anymore; my first was a Packard Bell that traveled 1,000's of miles every year only memory was not big enough; my daughter had a Toshiba that lasted 14 years with only damage to the hinge for the top, I had a Toshiba that died aged 3 years and 1 month, my recent machine just over 3 years old i have had to replace the battery !!! ) is a bit scary.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 in 2015. So guess it's obsolete. Yes up date to Windows 10 try and find version 1809. It your system does not have the hardware to support windows 10 you will have to upgrade or buy a new computer.

Yes they stopped supporting so why should I continue loading updates ?

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

no doubt, someone will suggest Linux.

Gentoo or Arch. 

• Like 1

"– Should I stop installing updates ?"

You should start to make backups or at least use restore points.

• Like 1

It's time for you to fit a solid state drive to your laptop. The poor performance of your laptop is creating creating a domino effect. With an SSD, update will install more smoothly and without you even noticing.

With HDD, you have to be a lot more careful of the order of the update installation. 

Fit SSD, clean install operating system. You can re-install Windows 7, but you should take the opportunity to install Windows 10 Pro. It really is not that different in use.

Installed properly, you'll likely find it more convenient.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Amazing how many post lengthy life stories about computer hardware issues but provide little or no information about the computers brand or model number.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beggar said:

"– Should I stop installing updates ?"

You should start to make backups or at least use restore points.

I do but not as often as I should.

Is there a way to remove an update if things go wrong again ?

3 hours ago, JamJar said:

Because his assertion is completely erroneous.

Support ends on the 14th of January 2020.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4057281/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020

He is confusing Mainstream Support meaning feature updates, with Extended Support, which means Security Updates and some dodgy telemetry add-ons.

02-Windows-10-life-cycle.jpg-13639953874

Yes, thats what I thought and thats why I continued to download updates.

1 hour ago, Speedo1968 said:

I do but not as often as I should.

Is there a way to remove an update if things go wrong again ?

Yes, thats what I thought and thats why I continued to download updates.

It doesn't make sense to me that you are so worried that the support ends. If you use some anti virus protection and don't move around at sex sites and in the dark net there should be no problem. But if so you can use virtual OS/spaces on your computer. Then everything what you want will be destroyed after usage. 

If you use an Android device you will be wondering how many things you (have to) allow for apps - and normally they will not kill you. Have been using computers on an almost daily basis for the last almost 50 years (I started at a very young age since my father was in this business). I never ever had a problem because of missing updates. And I hate updates. Don't fix what is not broken. Some updates created even big problems. 

• Like 2

How  about update drivers, many ignore  this. go to the  search  box  type  device manager to find them all.

• Like 1