Windows updates causing problems on laptop - anyone else having problems

Speedo1968

I have one machine with win 8.1 retro installed after  trying win 10 when first released. It will not update and both  Microsofts  manual and auto install package  fixes  don't work ! I now consider it is my good luck because I have no trust in  Microsoft any more  anyway. The  Win 8.1  install works  fine for the use I  have for it.

Otherwise I use a  machine with  Linux  mint, also works  fine.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Question 5. Why not install Windows 10?

What you are doing is the equivalent of driving a 1960s Ford Anglia.    LOL

Install ALL updates, OS & Security when they become available. NO PROBLEMS.

And no doubt, someone will suggest Linux.

Because some programs like Solidworks & Autocad Inventor will not run on Windows 10

I bought my laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed in Australia and when it did an update last month it took 3 hours and I have had nothing but trouble with it since. When I finally got my files opened I moved them all onto USB drives and now there is nothing of value left on my computer. Windows 10 to me has become a load of rubbish and as for their customer service that is a bloody big joke because it did not matter how many times I tried to tell them that the computer was bought new with the Windows 10 already installed they continually ask when I upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I removed all Microsoft products from my computer years ago and I will not use their browser or their email because I have found that they are rubbish also.

I use win 7 on my desk top, the updates a while back made it lock up on shut down, had to do it manually, I removed the update and it was fine again. All hardware installed(I built it) is more than good enough to run win 10 if needed but I prefer 7 for ease of use, have win 10 on my lap top and just dont like it but when I do my next build I will put 10 on the new one. To counter this problem I  stopped loading win 7 updates, still do 2016 office updates though but will let it load the new 7 updates again soon and see if they have sorted the problem out

14 hours ago, Beggar said:

It doesn't make sense to me that you are so worried that the support ends. If you use some anti virus protection and don't move around at sex sites and in the dark net there should be no problem. But if so you can use virtual OS/spaces on your computer. Then everything what you want will be destroyed after usage. 

If you use an Android device you will be wondering how many things you (have to) allow for apps - and normally they will not kill you. Have been using computers on an almost daily basis for the last almost 50 years (I started at a very young age since my father was in this business). I never ever had a problem because of missing updates. And I hate updates. Don't fix what is not broken. Some updates created even big problems. 

Thanks for your comments.I

I use a laptop and have a good paid for antivirus program.

I don't visit the dark net or other similar sites.

I keep important files on backup drives and only use for downloading TV series and music, if any are ones I would like to listen to / watch again I store on a seperate backup drive.

In my seventies I am just trying to clarify what is best to do.

In the end, you'll wind up on Win10.  Might be tomorrow.  Or you could drag this out for another week.  Even if/when you get through this hiccup, there will be another.  And then another.......

It's easier to stick with the comfortable old shoe.  Heck, I hung on to Win7 through all that Win8/8.1 krap, and then let the geeks work the bugs out of Win10 for quite a while before I finally relented.  And I also remember feeling personal satisfaction tinkering with and learning about Win7 and computer components.   I / we "get it". 

Honestly, Win10 is fairly intuitive IMO.  It'll take you a few hours to look around, then a bit of Youtube tutuorials when you want to adjust and personalize settings.  You can also find little "hacks" on Youtube, such as giving yourself the comfortable old Win7 look and feel, Control Panel layout, etc. 

If you figured out Win7, you can do Win10.  Once you do (and you will), you'll wonder why you waited so long and what all the fuss was about.

1 hour ago, Antonymous said:

OP, something within the 12 Sept Win 7 update has affected your sound. On my laptop using Win 7 it appears to have disabled bluetooth so that accessories like wireless headphones are showing as 'device not connected'.

I've tried everything I know to fix this to no avail. My only successful workaround so far has been to use direct wired headphones.

Win7 is an excellent version and disabling updates, or at least installing only those that you are certain you need, is the way to go as the end of support approaches.

Hang onto Win7 if you value privacy. Don't touch Win10!

Yes, me too, have found Bluetooth also an issue.   If I get it to work to watch something in the evening when i boot up in the morning the icon has gone.  Keep loosing the icon, I manage to get it back sometimes but never remember how I do it.

Perhaps someone on this thread can provide an answer, PLEASE !

43 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

Because some programs like Solidworks & Autocad Inventor will not run on Windows 10

They will if you upgrade. Business software on this level does not come with lifetime free lunch.

A lot of pirate users screaming foul when Autodesk compatibility issues surfaced.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

It would be a good idea to stop.

Up until about 4 months ago I had an ACER with Win7 and had stopped the updates a couple of years ago, never a problem. Unfortunately the computer, like me, had started to suffer from old age, battery gone, speaker gone and started to get the dreaded blue screen.

I went out and got a new machine which has Win 10, oh for the good old days of Win 7.

My current machine is an ACER, battery gone once already.  I couldn't find anything suitable in the Toshiba range as I wanted a CD drive.  Also my last Toshiba at 3 years old started to overheat, sound kept failing although sound card ok then the motherboard gave up.   Design wise, keyboard etc it was perfect for me.    I have seen a new motherboard for about 200US, Toshiba said they would not repair.

27 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

I bought my laptop with Windows 10 pre-installed in Australia and when it did an update last month it took 3 hours and I have had nothing but trouble with it since. When I finally got my files opened I moved them all onto USB drives and now there is nothing of value left on my computer. Windows 10 to me has become a load of rubbish and as for their customer service that is a bloody big joke because it did not matter how many times I tried to tell them that the computer was bought new with the Windows 10 already installed they continually ask when I upgraded my computer from Windows 7 to Windows 10. I removed all Microsoft products from my computer years ago and I will not use their browser or their email because I have found that they are rubbish also.

It's the Win 10 updates that cause me headaches. Even last Thurs night when shutting down,,,,updating do not turn off your computer [Always happens at bedtime]. It went on and on and on, Finally stopped. Friday morning turned on laptop and lo and behold "Please wait while Windows updates." Went off and made a cup of coffee; came back to greyish screen with a little white box in top left hand corner saying "Windows Explorer not working."

Nothing seemed to work so hard turn off with button and then switched back on. Exactly same result.

So go and have a shower to take it in to shop, Come out of shower and the screen has become normal ready to use. Why? I have no idea !!!

2 hours ago, wgdanson said:

By whom may I ask?

Industrialists.  Those who use windows to run important, for profit processes.  Built a photo op system using Windows7 running a bit a python.   As that was three or four years ago, they may have migrated to 10.  As I avoid most of what MS has to offer, I don't keep up.  Much happier with anything Debian, puppy and Slack in that order. 7 only needed 40MB to run.  It saved the company from loosing money and looking foolish after the VEESTA fiasco.  So, it was great.

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Yes agree. Sonar Platinum DAW music production suite will not run on Linux.   LOL

It does with virtual box. You can then snapshot your windows system to a working state for when it will break again.  LOL

22 hours ago, wgdanson said:

What you are doing is the equivalent of driving a 1960s Ford Anglia.    LOL

Jolted my memory. Ford Anglia 105E was a fantastic car and I was driving one (Maroon/White color) during my teens! Had some lovely times! No AC, no music etc but the times I had with it were good!

22 hours ago, wgdanson said:

I have had numerous problems with Win 10 updates, twice requiring reinstallation of Win 10 (plus all of my myriad other programs), a real and hated inconvenience.  Currently, whenever Win 10 updates, it puts my computer out of order for a half hour or longer as it updates, then says it can't complete the updates and must "undo changes." I have tried five fixes for this with none of them succeeding, so am now faced with yet another clean installation of Win 10 (and everything else).  Sucks!

20 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:
22 hours ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 in 2015. So guess it's obsolete. Yes up date to Windows 10 try and find version 1809. It your system does not have the hardware to support windows 10 you will have to upgrade or buy a new computer.

Yes they stopped supporting so why should I continue loading updates ?

Believe it was good old Windows XP that stopped being updated in 2015 – I changed to "7" due to thai issue – my Windows 7 Pro still updates and works fine (on PC, not laptop)...????

Just now, oobar said:

I have had numerous problems with Win 10 updates, twice requiring reinstallation of Win 10 (plus all of my myriad other programs), a real and hated inconvenience.  Currently, whenever Win 10 updates, it puts my computer out of order for a half hour or longer as it updates, then says it can't complete the updates and must "undo changes." I have tried five fixes for this with none of them succeeding, so am now faced with yet another clean installation of Win 10 (and everything else).  Sucks!

There is an option to install updates outside business hours, really whatever time you want. So really the half hour out of order does not matter. As I said in my earliers post, both my PC and Intel NUC are up to date no problems. Sorry to hear about yours.

17 minutes ago, ravip said:

What you are doing is the equivalent of driving a 1960s Ford Anglia.    LOL

Jolted my memory. Ford Anglia 105E was a fantastic car and I was driving one (Maroon/White color) during my teens! Had some lovely times! No AC, no music etc but the times I had with it were good!

Started driving in my dad's Ford Popular - no indicator lights only little flag that you had move from inside the car or put your hand out the window making a circular motion.    Sorry this is off topic for my original posting ...

22 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

My questions are:-

1 – Has / Is anyone else had the same problem ?

2 – Which of the updates could have caused the problem.

3 – What would the repair shop have done to solve the problem ?

4 – Should I stop installing updates ?

1. No, but I use win7 on PC.

2. ?

3. They might have turned Win7 back to an earlier version (before updates), or updated drivers, or software to play video/dosund.

4. No, updates are essential for security if you use the system online – which you do to play BBC and like.

If you have problems you can always restore to an earlier version of Windows – i.,e. before the latest updates – in System restore; you should be able to undo the system restore, if nothing changed.

Remember to update drivers – i.e. for soundboard, and graphic board, etc. – and also check for updates in your player apps/programs. Some might update automatic, some might need to be both checked for updates, and updated, manually.

It's a shame some of these posts are just flaming other posters and not addressing the problem. There is a lot of contradictory information on the web so be care what you believe. I would dump windows and buy a chromebook, windows has become so top heavy. 90% you which you will never use, it's just taking up disk space.

22 hours ago, PattayaGuy2019 said:

Microsoft stopped supporting Windows 7 in 2015. So guess it's obsolete. Yes up date to Windows 10 try and find version 1809. It your system does not have the hardware to support windows 10 you will have to upgrade or buy a new computer.

So sorry about the date it's a bit of a trivial point as windows 7 is so old now contradictory to other comments you may get updates to 2020 but you won't get any support

Just now, PattayaGuy2019 said:

It's a shame some of these posts are just flaming other posters and not addressing the problem. There is a lot of contradictory information on the web so be care what you believe. I would dump windows and buy a chromebook, windows has become so top heavy. 90% you which you will never use, it's just taking up disk space.

Gotta let them agonize for a while before the penny drops.  The inevitable course of action has to be their idea. 

2 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

My current machine is an ACER, battery gone once already.  I couldn't find anything suitable in the Toshiba range as I wanted a CD drive.  Also my last Toshiba at 3 years old started to overheat, sound kept failing although sound card ok then the motherboard gave up.   Design wise, keyboard etc it was perfect for me.    I have seen a new motherboard for about 200US, Toshiba said they would not repair.

I am not into high tech so bought dealer refurb HP Elitebook on ebay for £185, picked it up when I was back in the UK. My Acer was a refurb for about the same price and lasted over 5 years, didn't owe me anything.

Noticed your post on the car. I bought my first car in 1965, a 1954 Ford Anglia 100E, was your "Pop" a 'sit up and beg', I think it was 59 before the "Pop" changed to the 100E shape.

Win 10 is <deleted>, win 7 is so much better but support ends Jan 2020.

Do a system restore, choose a point before all the trouble started, then let restore run.

In preferences for updates, set to allow you to choose.

After restore check your problem is gone, then go to update and progressively update, each time making a new restore point.

After each update check the problem hasn't emerged again, if it has then the last update was the problem, note it's number, check for updates, right click on the troublesome update, select hide update, then continue updating.

It's possible you may get fully updated without the trouble emerging again, thus it would have initially been a troublesome update/didn't install correctly or some other glitch.

Windows updates are continuously causing issues for both Win 7 and 10 users - it is all over the net. Even respected columnists have issues -

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2019/08/patch-tuesday-august-2019-edition/comment-page-1/

If the tone of this post sounds a wee bit cantankerous, it might be because at least one of the updates I installed last month totally hosed my Windows 10 machine. I consider myself an equal OS abuser, and maintain multiple computers powered by a variety of operating systems, including Windows, Linux and MacOS.

Nevertheless, it is frustrating when being diligent about applying patches introduces so many unfixable problems that you’re forced to completely reinstall the OS and all of the programs that ride on top of it. On the bright side, my newly-refreshed Windows computer is a bit more responsive than it was before crash hell.

Even Microsofts own page on one of the September 10 updates for 7 show's they have an issue with the audio on Toshiba/Dynabook? with a solution due "later in September"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4516065/windows-7-update-kb4516065

Some great info on this site https://www.askwoody.com/ and have a look at a couple of posts down where he talks about updates and changes plus addition of telemetry........

On his forums are a lot of posts about issues and how people solved them.

An older article which may help to diagnose and fix issues

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-fix-problems-caused-by-windows-updates-2625775

This is like using Android 2.0 on your phone and expecting Google to still take care of it.  I have done all Windows updates since Windows 3.x and have only had minor glitches. Those glitches could always be fixed with update rollbacks or manual update downloads.

When you look at the sheer number of hardware and software variations, it is hardly surprising that some glitches will exist.  That is an issue that Apple does not have to worry about since they control all of that (at a cost).

Everyone should get a good uninstaller which will actually look for remnants that the programs built in uninstaller does not have.  Whenever an program/app is installed, if it is not useful or behaves in an odd manner, the program should be uninstalled with a proper uninstaller. 

The only drivers that should be installed are the ones released by the manufacturer unless it is a home built model.  Windows update usually does a good job of not updating drivers over manufacturer version.

But windows 10 is the way to go.  Linux is good but not for the novice.

Archived