Windows updates causing problems on laptop - anyone else having problems

Speedo1968

3 hours ago, oobar said:

I have had numerous problems with Win 10 updates, twice requiring reinstallation of Win 10 (plus all of my myriad other programs), a real and hated inconvenience.  Currently, whenever Win 10 updates, it puts my computer out of order for a half hour or longer as it updates, then says it can't complete the updates and must "undo changes." I have tried five fixes for this with none of them succeeding, so am now faced with yet another clean installation of Win 10 (and everything else).  Sucks!

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

Fit an SSD and clean install Windows 10 to it. You won't even notice updates taking place.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Windows 7 ???  Recommendations from Dell about some of their older Windows 7 computers were just not capable of being upgraded to Windows 10 as the hardware available in W7 days would not support it.

Sounds like it may be time for a new computer anyway.  Assuming you are at least moderately computer literate switching to using a W10 operating system would not require any extensive learning curve.  In fact, in a very few days you may wonder why you had not purchased a new computer with W10 on it.  Advice to install an SSD device is well worth the slight added expense.  Would go for the largest SSD you can afford along with the largest hard drive. 

18 minutes ago, dlclark97 said:

Windows 7 ???  Recommendations from Dell about some of their older Windows 7 computers were just not capable of being upgraded to Windows 10 as the hardware available in W7 days would not support it.

Sounds like it may be time for a new computer anyway.  Assuming you are at least moderately computer literate switching to using a W10 operating system would not require any extensive learning curve.  In fact, in a very few days you may wonder why you had not purchased a new computer with W10 on it.  Advice to install an SSD device is well worth the slight added expense.  Would go for the largest SSD you can afford along with the largest hard drive. 

I've never seen a DELL, less than twelve years old, that is not compatible with Windows 10. Fake news! ????

as the hardware available in W7 days would not support it

is a totally made up statement.

Even hardware from XP days can be compatible. 

On 9/14/2019 at 12:23 PM, khunPer said:

1. No, but I use win7 on PC.

2. ?

3. They might have turned Win7 back to an earlier version (before updates), or updated drivers, or software to play video/dosund.

4. No, updates are essential for security if you use the system online – which you do to play BBC and like.

If you have problems you can always restore to an earlier version of Windows – i.,e. before the latest updates – in System restore; you should be able to undo the system restore, if nothing changed.

Remember to update drivers – i.e. for soundboard, and graphic board, etc. – and also check for updates in your player apps/programs. Some might update automatic, some might need to be both checked for updates, and updated, manually.

Many thanks khunPer for the clear and easy to understand comments.

For updates all the programs I have are "Ask first".

Not being a techie I have not remembered to update drivers - will do - hopefully they won't throw any wobblies with how they work now.

Archived