living in Lamphun in 2019

jctv1944

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:38 PM, jctv1944 said:

I would appreciate all that I can get. Thanks

Up to late 2017, but it won't have changed much.

Unless there is some great reason to live there, like married to someone that has a house there ( my reason ), don't, IMO.

Chiang Mai isn't the greatest place to live, but it's better than Lamphun- IMO almost anyplace would probably be better.

It's got an old city wall, a river ( where the girlie bars are ) one of the oldest temples in Thailand, a night market on Friday, a Big Bhudda Temple on a hill and that's about it. The roads are terrible, and the traffic at start and end of work shifts is appalling ( Lamphun has many factories ).

Actually, there are two Lamphuns; the old city and the satellite area where the factories are. The supermarket is in the new area. It should have a cinema by now.

Don't expect everyone to speak English.

Both of the roads linking Lamphun and Chiang Mai are too small for the amount of traffic.

On the positive side, Lamphun has a lot of restaurants.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:11 AM, donnacha said:

During the rest of the year, Lamphun would be better than Chiang Mai because it doesn't have gridlocked traffic and red buses.

LOL. Did you never go on the roads before or after work shift? Traffic jams ++. Not as bad as CM, but only because not as many people.

No red buses, correct, but only m'bike taxis. If want a hire songtheaw to transport a lot of stuff, have to go to bus station and find a blue one prepared to do a private hire.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:49 PM, bkk6060 said:

I rarely have seen any large tour groups in buses here.

Loads of big tour buses going to the old temple by the river beside the old city- mainly Thais, far as I could see.

On ‎9‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:49 PM, bkk6060 said:

And there really is nothing of the sort in Lamphun.

LOL. It's easy to miss the girlie bars that cater to the local Thais, but there are plenty down by the river. I'm sure they'd be happy to cater to any stray farang wanting a bit of the you know what.

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

LOL. Did you never go on the roads before or after work shift? Traffic jams ++.

That is why I used the term "gridlocked" when describing Chiang Mai traffic. Every town in Thailand experiences traffic jams during the rush hour times you mention, but Lamphun has nothing close to what you get on Huaykaew or Nimman for several hours every afternoon.

These distinctions matter to anyone deciding where to live. Nowhere is perfect but some places are marginally better than others in certain regards.

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Not as bad as CM, but only because not as many people.

Yes. That was my whole point.

Unless there is some great reason to live there, like married to someone that has a house there ( my reason ), don't, IMO.

Chiang Mai isn't the greatest place to live, but it's better than Lamphun- IMO almost anyplace would probably be better.

It's got an old city wall, a river ( where the girlie bars are ) one of the oldest temples in Thailand, a night market on Friday, a Big Bhudda Temple on a hill and that's about it. The roads are terrible, and the traffic at start and end of work shifts is appalling ( Lamphun has many factories ).

Actually, there are two Lamphuns; the old city and the satellite area where the factories are. The supermarket is in the new area. It should have a cinema by now.

Both of the roads linking Lamphun and Chiang Mai are too small for the amount of traffic.

They actually do have a cinema at the mall.

The road from CM is currently going thru a major widening project looks like 3 lanes at least in each direction.

Loads of big tour buses going to the old temple by the river beside the old city- mainly Thais, far as I could see.

LOL. It's easy to miss the girlie bars that cater to the local Thais, but there are plenty down by the river. I'm sure they'd be happy to cater to any stray farang wanting a bit of the you know what.

Interesting.

Any ST hotels around there?

This is the new Lamphun Immigration office.  Hard to see but the backside but it has a second story.

Anyway, like I mentioned I think it is a future big growth area.  I bet in 7 to 10 years malls, restaurants, golf courses.  A smaller version of CM.

I personally like the old downtown pretty much undiscovered by tourists at this point.

I would buy land in and around the place for investment but my days of real estate purchases are behind me.

Should all be interesting how it eventually pans out.

IMG-20190916-WA0025.jpg

On 9/16/2019 at 8:33 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

Never been lucky enough to eat any decent food in Lamphun.

Be good if you could recommend some normal Thai places to eat. 

Thanks 

Archived