Immigration: Reporting Address Changes no Longer Required!

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing new.

I respect you Joe, but I disagree.  This is huge news.  It means no more re-filing TM 30 after staying overnight in another province.

The wording states "...aliens are not required to report..." which to me says they aren't going to hold us responsible for failing to report a change.  Either they will change/do away with the system or they will shift the responsibility to the landlord (which they should have done a long time ago IMO).

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

So what exactly does it mean.

When you move permanent address you/wife/landlord only has to do once???

If you go on holiday out of Thailand you/wife/landlord doesn't have to do when you return 'home'?

If you leave BKK and go to CM for a week and the hotel does report you then do you/wife/landlord have to do a new TM30??

Edited by overherebc

2 minutes ago, madmen said:

Phuket office just enforced t28 via announcement on TV few days back .?

Can of course be, then i didn't see this news yet. But most foreigners are exempt from TM28, as we can see from this picture.

Then Phuket has just become less attractive for people or retirement or marriage visas/extensions.

5 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Be interesting to know what is said next week.

Well said.

I maintain my opinion that, regardless of article number, form number, etc. this is big news and things are changing for the better.  This might be the beginning of the end of the TM30.

50 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

All you have to do is read the immigration act.

Section 37 is for address reporting which is a TM28 form.

Section 38 is for reporting of your residence using a TM30 form.

Yet the whole issue over last few months is they were using TM30 as an temporary address update and residence form combined. Hence the <deleted> of  you go stay overnight elsewhere and then either you or landlord had to do it all over again. Your legal residence does not change if you go on holiday.

While early days highly optimistic this is them walking back whole thing in typical Thai manner, first they misapplied the law and then after fightback repeal wrong law to make whole thing go away

In theory, the TM30 has never been about the foreigner reporting his address. In practice, if not staying in a hotel, immigration has usually found it convenient to force you to get the housemaster to satisfy the TM30 requirement, and to pay the fines. I will be amazed if the TM30 is going away without any announcement, or if immigration will suddenly decide to chase housemasters themselves rather than put the onus on the foreigner.

That was my first thought looking at OP.  

Never considered the TM28 requirement to be unreasonable, but the 24 hour leash was unrealsitic and over-controlling.  Most folks are busy unpacking boxes and getting utilities organized after a house move.  Those with jobs are still going to work in and among all that.  But sure, you need to notify relevant government agencies that you've moved..... same in my country. 

I think doing away with this might be tossing a bone to the dogs, while the TM30 remains the elephant in the room.  Or, one of a few things they've worked out and this was just the first........ we'll see. 

Edited by 55Jay
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jadam said:

Well said.

I maintain my opinion that, regardless of article number, form number, etc. this is big news and things are changing for the better.  This might be the beginning of the end of the TM30.

Nothing changed, these people have been exempt since 40 years. Somebody at immigration just made a picture out of a ministerial order from 40 years ago.

• Like 1