Immigration: Reporting Address Changes no Longer Required!

1 hour ago, Jadam said:

They haven't specified the form number.  They've said we don't need to report changes in address.  So as far as I'm concerned, we don't.  They can't say "don't do it" and then fine us for not doing it.

As far as reporting yourself on behalf of your landlord, it never should have happened in the first place.  It completely defeats the purpose of  the rule.

Oh really?? They can interpret that any way they like, besides those on extensions, would not qualify I guess. It speak to visitors, please define visitor, those with families, businesses, staying one year to next are really not "visitors" , if no PR .

Remember the catch all " at the IO discretion",

Edited by RJRS1301

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Nothing new.

It is only for section 37 of the immigration act for address reporting.

Only these 2 clauses are waived. 

"3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty
– four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not
located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the
police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.
4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such
alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time
of arrival."

It mentioned in this line for section 37. "The provision of ( 3 ) and ( 4 ) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as prescribed by the Director General."

yup, indeed only 3 and 4 waved for a certain type of persons, but nr 2... is not waived...

"2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place. "

Somehow things keep contradicting it selves... so , i don't have to notify that i am arriving at any place, but still notifying that i am leaving ?
Isn't it the same? changing adres ?

To be complete:
"

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the following : 
1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment unless authorized by the Director General. or competent official deputized by the Director General . If , in any case , there is a law concerning alien employment provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with the law concerned. 
2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place. 
3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival. 
4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival. 
5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division , in writing , concerning his place of stay , as soon as possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office. 
The provision of ( 3 ) and ( 4 ) shall not apply to any cases under Section 34 by any conditions as prescribed by the Director General. 
In making notification under this Section , the alien may make notification in person or send a letter of notification to the competent official , in accordance with the regulations prescribed by the Director General ."

Don't know if this was available earlier here, but when you click at the picture in the immigration Homepage the following "English" text appears:

Immigration office Please release the following news releases.

Foreigners throughout Thailand do not need to notify the change of accommodation.
---------------
Immigration office is concerned and requests for publicity For tourists, business people, investors, teaching and education, sports, artisans or foreign experts that are allowed to enter and stay in Thailand temporarily. 

If having travel, change accommodation Except Do not notify the authorities  
----------------

(According to Article 5 of the Police Department regulations Regarding the notification of change of residence Moving Moving Traveling to the province for more than 24 hours and staying in the Kingdom for more than 90 days for aliens who are temporarily allowed to stay in the Kingdom Announced in the Government Gazette, 15 June 1979)

As this mentions also tourists, I am questioning the logic that this (probably) official interpretation of the law does not apply to retirees or married to Thais. The fact that these two categories are not mentioned, means probably nothing. Would not be the first time a rule is published which is not proof read and analyzed for logical completeness.

14 minutes ago, Rastaputin said:

As this mentions also tourists, I am questioning the logic that this (probably) official interpretation of the law does not apply to retirees or married to Thais. The fact that these two categories are not mentioned, means probably nothing.

They are not mentioned because they are not exempt. Foreigners who stay here based on a retirement/marriage visa/extension have to submit a TM28 if they change their place

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeyHeyHey said:

Wasn't it fake news 15 hours ago?

Nowhere it says it's only about TM28

It was first published by BBC journalist after they received an email from immigration. Which I posted in the thread that was locked as fake news.

He specifically made hashtag #TM30. Personally I'm going to trust BBC instead of ThaiVisa warriors until proven otherwise.

https://twitter.com/8td/status/1172120499133927424

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lashay said:

Yet the whole issue over last few months is they were using TM30 as an temporary address update and residence form combined. Hence the <deleted> of  you go stay overnight elsewhere and then either you or landlord had to do it all over again. Your legal residence does not change if you go on holiday.

While early days highly optimistic this is them walking back whole thing in typical Thai manner, first they misapplied the law and then after fightback repeal wrong law to make whole thing go away

Exactly! ^^ This.

I went to Chiangwattana last week to report moving address; I asked which forms I need to fill in the staff didn't really know so gave me both TM30 and TM28. I filled in both.

They threw away the TM28 and kept the TM30; so hence very confusing.

So, would it be correct saying that TM28 is for if you MOVE address and TM30 is for if you let's say go to a different province for the weekend? However, CW is using TM30 for both?

????

1 hour ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Regardless of interpretation otherwise where does this exempt expat long stayers?

I  have  just been thinking about my question? If the wording is  in reality as loose as put in the "flyer" style notice then is  a weekend away playing golf (sport) or domestic sightseeing (tourism) a valid exemption for  long stayers?I can only guess that this announcement is an interim recognition of unrealistic legislation.

At the same time I have to credit Thai administration for recognizing a problematic issue for business employees and more who theoretically at the least  had to consider  the implications.

It can only be  hoped  that there is an eventual revamp of legislation that combines the reality of intent with regard to  national security etc with the recognition of proven genuine long stay residers.

I have  no  issue with the removal of  non compliants although sympathetic to those  who  are victim  to  economic  variations re' income requirements but  I  have no such sympathy  for those that have so willingly  and blatantly subscribed  to bribery, corruption  or outright defiance of legal presence because in the longer term it  has an impact on my own legitimate status.

Yet I also recognize the perhaps more subtle similar social application of subjugation to Thai citizens in compliance with antiquated  bureaucratic processes which are objectionable  but maybe simply are also a demonstration of the equal inclusion of non Thai in the way of things.????

The OP has only partial information from an original article.

https://coconuts.co/bangkok/news/its-official-expats-in-thailand-traveling-overnight-need-not-notify-immigration/

The above is the complete article and the situation has been adequately and correctly explained by Ubon Joe here:

In order to avoid anyone being mislead or misinterpreting what has been said any further.

CLOSED

• Thanks 2