Pope Francis to visit Thailand, Japan in November

webfact

On 9/13/2019 at 7:10 PM, Sir Dude said:

I remember working at a Saint Mary's high school a long time ago and it was all about money, slave driving and pitiful contempt for the Thais, Philly and foreign staff working there for them ... money and nothing else. There are plenty of Catholics here, just it is not advertised too much. Look no further than the huge Assumption in Siratcha, it's massive and just one of many.

A lot of Thais send their kids to Assumption or other Catholic schools and colleges. They think pretending to be Catholics will help their kids. A lot I know tell me proudly they are Catholic. They look bewildered when I ask them where they go to mass!

Anything connected with the Catholic church is a money making scam peddling tosh for money.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/14/2019 at 3:05 PM, jondoe18 said:

Religions create cultures.

That is why citizens of nations built on Christianity have the most

freedom and they are individuals, not just masses to grind .

This is especially true for Catholics because they have the opportunity

to confess their sins and be forgiven...
and with a clear conscience they can begin to sin again 555

There is no religion that gives more freedom than Catholicism!

Yeah sure. The Spanish Inquisition, forced conversions, repression of knowledge, education, science, selling "absolution" to the rich, support of feudal hierarchies and divisive class systems, haven for sadists and sexual perverts, anti-semetic, etc etc etc.

The Catholic Church enjoyed good relations with Nazis, Fascists and still enjoys them with tin-pot dictators in South America and Africa for a reason. 

They might give you personal "freedom to sin and repent" for a price but collectively they repress and extort. 

On 9/14/2019 at 2:44 PM, spidermike007 said:

And to think all many of those victims would have required is a sharp pencil jammed into the eye or neck of the priest. Same applies to abusive nuns in school. It can do wonders, when faced with a difficult and awful situation. 

But to a young boy or girl, being abused by an authority figure, likely respected by the parents and family members and society at large, a paralyzing fear is more likely to take over. Very few people would react in the way you suggest whilst young and against an extremely authoritarian figure.

The comes the shame and the guilt; that it's their fault somehow. Totally exploited by these disgusting hypocrites who think it's all their god's will and that confessing makes it all o.k. until the next time. Then repeat the cycle.

On 9/13/2019 at 7:05 PM, Terek said:

religions are poison for mind. but considering most of people don't have much brain on their own, they need them, imho

...but great for schools, as most people in the UK seem to find religion pretty quick to get their kids into the best ones, eh... The real question is, why are secular schools so bad? With all the backing and funding, you'd think they'd be the best ones, but people vote with their feet, and religious schools seem to be the best.

On 9/13/2019 at 8:05 PM, Cadbury said:

I am sure the Thai monkhood has kiddie fiddlers just like the Catholics.

That's your opinion. Any evidence? Is it has widespread and been going on for so long as in the Catholic Church? Have they also moved people around to try and hide things in the full knowledge of what they've done and are likely to do again?

15 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Yeah sure. The Spanish Inquisition, forced conversions, repression of knowledge, education, science, selling "absolution" to the rich, support of feudal hierarchies and divisive class systems, haven for sadists and sexual perverts, anti-semetic, etc etc etc.

The Catholic Church enjoyed good relations with Nazis, Fascists and still enjoys them with tin-pot dictators in South America and Africa for a reason. 

They might give you personal "freedom to sin and repent" for a price but collectively they repress and extort. 

Those things might be true, but they don't refute the points that western religion played an important role in the arts, culture, politics, human rights, and education. It's a double-edged sword. Sometimes religions stay in horrible places because they feel that if they weren't there, that the people suffering in those conditions would have noone else to turn to for help and to get information out.

On a more superficial level, in the west, parents crowd around church schools because the state schools are seen as inferior. I grew up with as much enmity towards it as you, but the facts are more mixed.

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

That's your opinion. Any evidence? Is it has widespread and been going on for so long as in the Catholic Church? Have they also moved people around to try and hide things in the full knowledge of what they've done and are likely to do again?

Some of it's also over-exaggerated <deleted>.

13 hours ago, Rimbuman said:

Interesting, I didn't  know that about Duarte being abused by a priest. 

You better believe it... he absolutely despises the Catholic Church. There are more reasons than just the abuse of children though... The Catholic Church in the Philippines preaches to young people about the sins of contraception, but when all these children are born with nothing to eat, where is the Catholic Church then?.... nowhere to be seen. The Catholic Priests charge money to baptize these children too while they walk around fat and contented. I don't think Francis will be setting foot in the Philippines anytime soon.

Just an aside here lest people believe I'm anti-Christian. I am not. I take each denomination on its own merits. There are lots of missionaries from other churches feeding the poor in the Philippines, just not the Catholic Church. And guess who has arranged weekly and bi-weekly feedings for poor children at school? Duterte! He's the one who genuinely cares for his people.

On 9/13/2019 at 7:10 PM, Sir Dude said:

I remember working at a Saint Mary's high school a long time ago and it was all about money, slave driving and pitiful contempt for the Thais, Philly and foreign staff working there for them ... money and nothing else. There are plenty of Catholics here, just it is not advertised too much. Look no further than the huge Assumption in Siratcha, it's massive and just one of many.

I teach in a Catholic School ( I am a Catholic). About 1000 pupils, three Philippine teachers, one chap from West Africa and me as the token white man! Three or four nuns including the Director and the Principal Most of the staff are Thai, (only a few are Catholics) as are probably 80%+ of the pupils. Few of the pupils at the big RC schools like "Assumption" are Christian, let alone Catholic. The Roman Catholic Church runs schools in Thailand, not specifically for Catholics but for all denominations and religions. A few - like Assumption are prestigious, "Hi So" establishments. Most are not and offer an economical alternative to the Government Schools. In fact it is cheaper to send a child to the school I teach at than it is to pay the various extra and top up charges at the better resourced government schools in the city! They are pretty popular with the parents, and therefore well subscribed. 

One of the big selling points is that the Nuns, whilst sometimes perhaps annoying to work for, ( they have a casual attitude to paying their staff punctually, having taken a vow of poverty they don't bother with money) but are generally not on the take in the same way as the senior management in many other schools. If your salary is a couple of days late it is because they do not "do money", not because it has been spent on the down payment for the Director's new Merc!

As for the Holy Father's visit. good oh, it will cheer up the small Catholic community here in Thailand no end, and give all of the atheists here on TVF something to really get their teeth into - win win, no?

On 9/14/2019 at 3:05 PM, jondoe18 said:

I don't really want to get into an argument on theology, but for the absolution gained through the Sacrament of Confession to be valid: 1) the repentance must be genuine, and 2) the intention at least must genuinely be to not sin again.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

You forgot to add drugs and radioactive materials smuggling

under the cassock. .. 555

I am not a pious person, I have not been to the church for years

but learning about different cultures and observing the world
I did a significant shuffle in my opinions and I give credit where credit is due IMO.

I'm a bit surprised that people who are ex-pats in Asia and know the world

more than the average person still can't connect the dots.

18 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

But to a young boy or girl, being abused by an authority figure, likely respected by the parents and family members and society at large, a paralyzing fear is more likely to take over. Very few people would react in the way you suggest whilst young and against an extremely authoritarian figure.

The comes the shame and the guilt; that it's their fault somehow. Totally exploited by these disgusting hypocrites who think it's all their god's will and that confessing makes it all o.k. until the next time. Then repeat the cycle.

You are wrong. They do not think it is God's will for them to molest children. They know how wrong it is. They are pathological super freaks. God has nothing to do with this. He does not even know the first names of these priests, and they know nothing of their creator. They are simply imposters, and they deserve execution. Life is prison would be too good for them. 

On 9/14/2019 at 10:28 AM, tropo said:

It may be a "perfect example" of why the Catholic Church is failing, but there's no need for sweeping generalizations. You probably don't realise that the Catholic Church does not speak for the rest of Christian denominations. Far from it. Apparently it's (Catholic Church) about 50% of all christians world wide.

It's interesting that he hasn't planned to visit the Philippines, the most populous Catholic nation on earth. Duterte has shown the catholic church his middle finger since he came to power in 2016, along with choice words of condemnation. He was abused by priests as a young boy, so there's no love lost there. Despite this, he's set to become the most popular president in 33 years (since democratic era began).

He did already visit the Philippines just few years ago after the tragic typhoon which did strike  Tacloban. He already has millions of Roman Catholics there and a follow up will also need significant logistic plans given the masses he can move around in Manila. No need to "advertise" over there for a few more years.

On 9/16/2019 at 11:08 AM, NicoBKK said:

He did already visit the Philippines just few years ago after the tragic typhoon which did strike  Tacloban. He already has millions of Roman Catholics there and a follow up will also need significant logistic plans given the masses he can move around in Manila. No need to "advertise" over there for a few more years.

You don't say? I was near Tacloban when he last visited the Philippines in 2015. I had to delay my flight because of his visit. This tragic typhoon wrecked our house too - ripped off the roof.

This is all beside the point. Duterte came to power in June 2016, so it's a whole new ball game now. Duterte is no plastic warrior and puts on no pretense. I would not be surprised if (theoretically) Francis visited Philippines he would be shunned by Duterte. I read he's been invited to visit in 2021 but doubt he'll set foot there until Duterte's 6 year term ends in 2022.

I was specifically drawing attention to the fact that the president openly despises the Catholic Church, yet he's extremely popular and set to become the most popular president since the Marcos regime.

Archived