Pothole Warning

KhaoYai

Locals will already be aware of this but others travelling to Nakhon Ratchasima may not be.  Potholes are nothing new in Thailand but...........

Last Sunday night I was driving from Pak Chong to Nakhon Ratchasima on Mitraphap Road (Highway 2) when I hit a huge pothole, quickly followed by another even bigger one.  The result was a bent alloy wheel and a knackered tyre.  I hate driving in Thailand at night and usually avoid it because of this and other things like the idiots on motorbikes with no lights on but on this occasion I had no choice.  The traffic was quite heavy so by the time the car in front of me had passed over the holes and revealed them, it was too late to avoid them.

This was approaching the city from the west, around the area where the large roadworks are - I think it's where the new Bang Pa In - Korat highway will rejoin highway 2.

It's possible the holes may have been filled in by now but just be careful around there - these were not the usual potholes, they were massive.  The scary thing is, I would normally have been making that journey on my motorbike - that would have been a completely different story.

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Yes alloy rims are not as strong as the originals....happens all the time.

These are actually very, very strong but the hole was very, very big.  I've never seen a pothole like it in a main highway in 18 years of driving in Thailand.

17 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

These are actually very, very strong but the hole was very, very big.  I've never seen a pothole like it in a main highway in 18 years of driving in Thailand.

Yes , the potholes are not visible , under some ten inches of water , causing many accidents . 

Archived