BANGKOK
snoop1130

Student broke no laws with Buddha-Ultraman paintings: law expert

"He also pointed out that the face of Ultraman, designed by Thai filmmaker and special-effects creator Sompote Saengduenchai"

Excuse me? Sompote didn't have anything to do with the creation of Ultraman. He tried to claim he had the international rights to the character at one point, but it was ultimately established in court that the document he had as "proof" was fake, and he was banned from using the character and had to pay for infringement.

• Like 1

Art is not a crime other than in the worst societies. If it is, then it is a sad reflection on the control freak nature of said society. Thailand will soon out-Nazi the Chinese on several fronts, which is nuts.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sir Dude said:

Art is not a crime other than in the worst societies. If it is, then it is a sad reflection on the control freak nature of said society. Thailand will soon out-Nazi the Chinese on several fronts, which is nuts.  

The problem with art is that its only "art" in the eye of the beholder.

And those who defend art qua art are the true control freaks, since they want to everyone to accept what their eyes behold.

Its an unsolveable philosophical battle.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Nyezhov said:

The problem with art is that its only "art" in the eye of the beholder.

And those who defend art qua art are the true control freaks, since they want to everyone to accept what their eyes behold.

Its an unsolveable philosophical battle.

Art isn't something you accept or reject. It's not true or false. It's something you conjure with.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So would these be illegal? ... all my own work btw!

527239840_Designs01.jpg.169867e79e2656af7845f343ae33cc71.jpg

• Like 1

Does anyone have a link or just information regarding this academic's assertion that Greek artists created the first known images purporting to represent the Buddha? I know there was Greek contact with India, in the times of Alexander and other, but this is something I've never come across.

• Thanks 2

Farcical and sad. The whole idea of suing her for defaming the Buddha goes against Buddhist teachings completely. Alas, just like the Christian nut jobs. And Muslim nut jobs. And Jewish nut jobs. And.... Have I left anybody out? I surely have. Religion poisons everything.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1