BANGKOK
bahtboy

Options for an aged friend

I have a friend in his eighties from England who comes to Thailand every year in October for 6 months to escape the English weather and he usually gets a non-O multi entry visa from the Thai embassy in London, but this year he can only get a single entry for 90 days. I used to be aware of the different options for long term stays but have not kept up to date recently. I'd like to give him some advice, so what would his options be, once he has the 90 day visa, to extend his stay in Thailand until April. He is active and has no problems doing border runs etc. Regards, bahtboy.

If not already obtained he might apply for a non immigrant O-A visa which provides a one year stay on any entry (could serve to this and next year stays) as any entry for the one year validity of visa gets a new one year permitted stay.  Have to show financials and provide a pro-forma medical certificate but this might not be a problem as does not have to be in Thailand.

If above not an option he can exit to obtain a 60 day tourist visa and then extend 30 days at immigration after the 90 day non immigrant O entry.  

• Like 1

Thanks lopburi3. I suspect he wouldn't go for the O-A but the 60 day tourist visa and extension at Jomtien sounds good. Where do you think is easiest for the 60 day? He has previously gone with other friends on a short holiday to Sihanoukville but that's no longer attractive. Last year he went to Vientiane for a few days. He loves going off on short "holidays". And the extension of the 60 day tourist visa is a valid option at Jomtien?

Edit....Just re read your post and seems the 30 day extension at Immi is straight after the non-O single entry visa. Is that correct?

Edited by bahtboy

Believe tourist 30 day extension, even of a visa exempt, is routine at any immigration office now.  Vientiane requires making online appointment now so many use Savannakhet (very busy Mon/Thu but OK other days).  Don't believe he will have issues being 80 and having had O visa entry previously but tourist visas are often assumed to be for illegal workers and as such can be subject to extra checks.  Be sure to have required cash for show on return in case asked and onward travel ticket.

Others may be able to reply better as I have not tourist traveled in many years.

Many thanks. I'll be sure to let him know about having 20,000 baht minimum on him along with onward ticket.

OP, answer just one thing. How long does he want spend in los per visit. Maybe I missed it. 

Personally I would skip the setv from UK.  Arrive los VE. Then obtain 30 day extension ...further advice depends on total stay. 

Easy to obtain setv Saigon (one option and easy). UK visa exempt to Vietnam.

He also has 2 visa exempt border crossings, that he can use.

Edited by DrJack54

He usually stays 6 months October to April.

7 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

He usually stays 6 months October to April.

Umm. Obtain METV UK.

Or setv extended gives 90 (with extension) then couple of border runs extended. Equals 180 days. Sounds like he is Jomtien. Could fly udon bounce friendship bridge. Other more experienced members will be along with better options.

Edited by DrJack54

I've just sent him a LIne message asking if he's already obtained a visa. I suspect he hasn't yet.

Edit...He's just replied. He has obtained a 90 day visa.

Edited by bahtboy

29 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

I've just sent him a LIne message asking if he's already obtained a visa. I suspect he hasn't yet.

Edit...He's just replied. He has obtained a 90 day visa.

90 day?....mean non o based on what. In any event he has his 90 day. The next 90 is pretty simple if able to border bounce.

Yes single entry non imm-O.  No....sorry, think single entry tourist visa.

Edited by bahtboy

32 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

Yes single entry non imm-O.  No....sorry, think single entry tourist visa.

Setv is 60 day. Can extend 30 day for 1900baht imm

Just to clarify....my friend tells me he has a 90 day visa. I dunno what type it is but I suspect a tourist visa. However, 90 days it is!

7 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

Just to clarify....my friend tells me he has a 90 day visa. I dunno what type it is but I suspect a tourist visa. However, 90 days it is!

Geezus. Setv is 60 day.

Non o is 90 day. His non o would be based on what?

Anyway get the facts and good advice will follow. 

4 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Non o is 90 day. His non o would be based on what?

Retirement, in receipt of UK state pension.