Visa after divorce

SailingHome

As I am understanding, all my wife has to is go to immigration and they will make me leave the country. But I also read that in the case of divorce my visa is good until the end of the current visa. So, I am not only confused about that, but I also don't know what to for visa after the divorce. I am only 48.5 years old and I do NOT want to leave Thailand

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

VISA is good.

Extension of stay for marriage may not be good.

I'd just go to Vietnam or Cambodia or the Philippines for 3 or 6 months of the year.

Plenty of places just as good as Thailand to visit (and no mad cow looking to kill you).

Good answer!

5 hours ago, robblok said:

After my divorce I actually had to leave the country to cancel it. So a divorce does not cancel the visa. you cannot extend it anymore but for as long as its valid its good. At least that is my experience. 

Yeah, I get the whole visa until until the end of last renewal which in December.  I have thought about other countries... but I can you for sure all of those countries, my meds for Parkinson's disease cost too much. I tried each of thse for a few months before marriage. I like Thailand. . I would never make it elsewhere be it cost or immensities.

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

VISA is good.

Extension of stay for marriage may not be good.

I'd just go to Vietnam or Cambodia or the Philippines for 3 or 6 months of the year.

Plenty of places just as good as Thailand to visit (and no mad cow looking to kill you).

The other problem with is that I am a private scientist. How would I transport my gear? A shipping container?

5 hours ago, robblok said:

After my divorce I actually had to leave the country to cancel it. So a divorce does not cancel the visa. you cannot extend it anymore but for as long as its valid its good. At least that is my experience. 

Thus the reason I want her to promise  me we will stay in marriage until I can get retirement.

5 hours ago, SailingHome said:

Thus the reason I want her to promise  me we will stay in marriage until I can get retirement.

That is up to her not you. Maybe you should make some concessions or give her a reason to do so. She holds all the cards you do not.

A visa remains valid an extension of stay becomes void when you divorce. At most immigration offices you even sign a paper when you extend your stay stating that if the reason for the extension is no longer there, the extension becomes invalid.Only when the marriage ends because of the spouse death immigration allows you to stay till the end of your extension.

The visa you get abroad, the extension at your immirgation office. it is important that you understand the difference.

An extension of stay ( commonly CALLED a retirement or marriage "" VISA"" ) is a permit and NOT a VISA. Do you have some type of VISA or a "extension of stay based on marriage"?

IN ADVANCE :

Change from a "extension of stay based on marriage" to "extension of stay based on retirement" as soon as possible.  This can possibly be done (( depending on you IO POLICY )) when your current extension expires, providing that you are:

Over 50

Have 800,000THB in the bank, I suggest for 3 months.

All other paperwork is up to date, or you can update when you apply.

If under 50, you could possibly study the Thai language for several years at a language $chool. Most $chool$ will gladly do the nece$$ary paperwork.

6 minutes ago, edwardflory said:

IN ADVANCE :

Change from a "extension of stay based on marriage" to "extension of stay based on retirement" as soon as possible.  This can possibly be done (( depending on you IO POLICY )) when your current extension expires, providing that you are:

Over 50

Have 800,000THB in the bank, I suggest for 3 months.

All other paperwork is up to date, or you can update when you apply.

The OP gives his age as 48.5, making him ineligible for a retirement extension.

17 hours ago, robblok said:

That is up to her not you. Maybe you should make some concessions or give her a reason to do so. She holds all the cards you do not.

"Up to her" is not entirely true with regards to the divorce. Thailand does not have the concept of "no-fault divorce" like in the US. Both parties must agree to the divorce (uncontested), or grounds must be established to force the divorce (contested).

That said, it is entirely a moot point, since applying for the extension of stay will not succeed without the wife's cooperation.

Of course, the best option is to simply avoid making the wife want to divorce you.

There are two type of divorce, uncontested (both parties agree), and contested (one party does not agree):

https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/thailand-divorce.php

Contested divorce requires "grounds for divorce":

https://www.siam-legal.com/thailand-law-library/divorce_library/contested_divorce_in_thailand.php

The grounds are listed here:

https://www.siam-legal.com/legal_services/Thailand-Contested-Divorce-Faqs.php

Amazing how #2 stipulates "The wife has committed adultery;", while no such grounds for the husband.

#5 looks to be the most concerning: "One spouse has seriously insulted the other spouse or his/her ascendants;"

What is a 'private scientist'?

I hope you have been paying all your taxes here, and have a work permit and have been meeting all the criteria for such... otherwise you wife might use that against you and you might also get into a lot of trouble, not just loosing your visa based of marriage.  

And, if you have not got enough money for your medication in any other country, how have you got enough money for you planned retirement visa?

20 hours ago, justin case said:

I would love to see this law in our home countries, when the wife would be denied a further stay in your home country ... but that would be called ...

Actually if I had divorced my Thai wife in my home country before 4 years she would have to go back. So there was such a law in place in the Netherlands. 

I remember as i made sure she had 4 years so she could stay. I did not care about her but it meant her daughters could stay too.. I cared about them. 

21 hours ago, justin case said:

I would love to see this law in our home countries, when the wife would be denied a further stay in your home country ... but that would be called ...

This exists in Germany and probably in most other European countries as well

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Actually if I had divorced my Thai wife in my home country before 4 years she would have to go back. So there was such a law in place in the Netherlands. 

I remember as i made sure she had 4 years so she could stay. I did not care about her but it meant her daughters could stay too.. I cared about them. 

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

This exists in Germany and probably in most other European countries as well

You can add the UK to that list, at least while on FLTR.

Archived