savannakhet tourist visa - how recent mus the bank statement be?

They assume that you can print it right there at an internet shop if need be, so you're taking a chance if your statement is outdated. They might just send you there to print an up to date one. Mine were usually dated 1-2 days before the application date.

What exactly is acceptable to them is anyone's guess! It might also depend on your balance, if it's just slightly above the minimum they might be more inclined to suspect that the balance has fallen below in the meantime if the statement isn't very "fresh".

Edited by Caldera
Typo

My statement was from July 15th and I applied on August 12th. They checked my docs and it was all ok, got my visa.

Tho I was worried about the dates too.

But my balance was more than 20k so maybe that’s why they didn’t complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BrakkaToss said:

My statement was from July 15th and I applied on August 12th. They checked my docs and it was all ok, got my visa.

Tho I was worried about the dates too.

But my balance was more than 20k so maybe that’s why they didn’t complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Oh that's good to know.. Ill try and print it out as close as i can, but will print a backup statement some days before, just in case funds dip below 20k just before i apply... Money's been a bit tight lately. Thanks!

6 hours ago, dandeedo said:

Oh that's good to know.. Ill try and print it out as close as i can, but will print a backup statement some days before, just in case funds dip below 20k just before i apply... Money's been a bit tight lately. Thanks!

Yes, I assumed it was that kind of reason. Can you please tell how its possible to live in Thailand on back to back tourist visas and not have enough funds? 20k to show for get a tourist is, is far below any living standard for 60 days, plus a possible 30 more. It´s a shame that people can´t plan just a little bit better.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matzzon said:

Yes, I assumed it was that kind of reason. Can you please tell how its possible to live in Thailand on back to back tourist visas and not have enough funds?

Who said back to back? But since you brought it up, that's a good point for the OP to consider besides the bank statement issue. Savannakhet won't issue a tourist visa if the OP has spent "too much" time in Thailand recently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Caldera said:

Who said back to back? But since you brought it up, that's a good point for the OP to consider besides the bank statement issue. Savannakhet won't issue a tourist visa if the OP has spent "too much" time in Thailand recently.

Oh, i know. Nobody said back-to-back straight out. On the other hand, the comment below do state a hint to such behaviour, due to that a tourist on his/hers first visa usually see to that they have enough money to travel. On the other hand, maybe you are right. I can be that I am the only one that understands that. ????

11 hours ago, dandeedo said:

just in case funds dip below 20k just before i apply... Money's been a bit tight lately. Thanks!

Can you not just have the 20,000 Bt. in your pocket.

I wanted to transfer 1MB to my Euro bank a/c from the TMB bank in Ban Chang recently. They wouldn't allow me to do it without a work permit. I told them I didn't need a work permit to transfer it from Europe in the first place and I have been on Retirement Ext. since coming to Thailand 20 years ago. No go...so I withdrew it in cash and went down the road with the money in an envelope to the Bangkok bank to lodge it in there (did it through them before, no problem). They wanted me to pay fees to lodge the money as I had opened my a/c originally in a Pattaya branch  (this is a different province, Ban Chang is in Rayong). So, I said "No thank you"...took my envelope back off them, walked back to my motorbike that I left outside the TMB...put it under the seat and drove down the road to Sattahip...(which is in Chonburi, as is Pattaya). 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Can you not just have the 20,000 Bt. in your pocket.

I wanted to transfer 1MB to my Euro bank a/c from the TMB bank in Ban Chang recently. They wouldn't allow me to do it without a work permit. I told them I didn't need a work permit to transfer it from Europe in the first place and I have been on Retirement Ext. since coming to Thailand 20 years ago. No go...so I withdrew it in cash and went down the road with the money in an envelope to the Bangkok bank to lodge it in there (did it through them before, no problem). They wanted me to pay fees to lodge the money as I had opened my a/c originally in a Pattaya branch  (this is a different province, Ban Chang is in Rayong). So, I said "No thank you"...took my envelope back off them, walked back to my motorbike that I left outside the TMB...put it under the seat and drove down the road to Sattahip...(which is in Chonburi, as is Pattaya). 

Good Job! ???? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/14/2019 at 6:24 AM, Matzzon said:

Yes, I assumed it was that kind of reason. Can you please tell how its possible to live in Thailand on back to back tourist visas and not have enough funds? 20k to show for get a tourist is, is far below any living standard for 60 days, plus a possible 30 more. It´s a shame that people can´t plan just a little bit better.

I'm a digital nomad, and work online...  I have regular monthly clients but had a lot of expenses recently, had to buy a new laptop and some other big payments. That's why I asked the question so I Can make sure to plan things out properly! Well it's more of a shame when people assume how people are living from a single comment. 

On 9/14/2019 at 11:15 AM, Matzzon said:

Oh, i know. Nobody said back-to-back straight out. On the other hand, the comment below do state a hint to such behaviour, due to that a tourist on his/hers first visa usually see to that they have enough money to travel. On the other hand, maybe you are right. I can be that I am the only one that understands that. ????

No I don't have back to back visas... I have 2 visas in my passport. I work online... There are plenty of digital nomads in Thailand, Is it really such a big surprise?

6 minutes ago, dandeedo said:

No I don't have back to back visas... I have 2 visas in my passport. I work online... There are plenty of digital nomads in Thailand, Is it really such a big surprise?

No, it´s not a big surprise! What it is, is a disgrace and abuse of tourist visas for staying and working in Thailand which is illegal.

But, I´ve heard lot´s of noise about that the embassies and consulates, as well as the Immigration checkpoints are cracking down on that now and refusing many people visas and entry based on too long stay on tourist visas. Good Luck with your next one. 

16 minutes ago, dandeedo said:

I'm a digital nomad, and work online...  I have regular monthly clients but had a lot of expenses recently, had to buy a new laptop and some other big payments. That's why I asked the question so I Can make sure to plan things out properly! Well it's more of a shame when people assume how people are living from a single comment. 

No, surprise, it was exactly as I thought. They will soon close the little hole in the system that you are crawling in and out of.

Just because you are one of the modern digital nomads, that will not make you invisible to the rules and regulations.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1

Just now, Matzzon said:

No, it´s not a big surprise! What it is, is a disgrace and abuse of tourist visas for staying and working in Thailand which is illegal.

But, I´ve heard lot´s of noise about that the embassies and consulates, as well as the Immigration checkpoints are cracking down on that now and refusing many people visas and entry based on too long stay on tourist visas. Good Luck with your next one. 

It's not illegal, my clients are in Australia! I have shown my business to immigration when they asked and there was no issue! I don't know why everyone on this forum is so miserable. 

15 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Sure, you have. 

Ok so i will try and close the loop hole on your broken logic. Because it appears you may have suffered a stroke and might need some help with this... 

Immigration doesn't want foreigners working in thailand because that actually takes away work from other thais, it pulls FROM the thai economy rather than putting it in. If a digital nomad has clients in Australia he is only putting back into the economy, it is in NO WAY the same as working in thailand. It's basic logic, don't worry bud, just keep trying, not everyone is cut out for thinking. 

2 hours ago, dandeedo said:

Ok so i will try and close the loop hole on your broken logic. Because it appears you may have suffered a stroke and might need some help with this... 

Immigration doesn't want foreigners working in thailand because that actually takes away work from other thais, it pulls FROM the thai economy rather than putting it in. If a digital nomad has clients in Australia he is only putting back into the economy, it is in NO WAY the same as working in thailand. It's basic logic, don't worry bud, just keep trying, not everyone is cut out for thinking. 

I don´t worry, and I do not have a stroke at the age of 49. However, it does not make any difference to the law how many times you come with excuses and explainations. You still break the law.

18 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I don´t worry, and I do not have a stroke at the age of 49. However, it does not make any difference to the law how many times you come with excuses and explainations. You still break the law.

But its not the law. That's the point.... If there was a law against remote working, then when i showed my business to immigration when extending my visa, they probably would have had a bit more to say than เก่งมาก... my girlfriend was also recently in a motorcycle accident, i went with her to the police station, and the investigator and i chatted for a while, he asked what i did and i showed him my online business, he thought that was great and told me he would love to start his own business to make some extra income, i think he would have had more to say also if it was an issue. So does Matzzon law supersede thai law? And if your going to tell me that there is no law specifically perimissing digital nomads, well is there a law permissing the consumption of pumpkin pie or wearing blue shoes? i dont think so... But there is no law against eating pumpkin pie or wearing blue shoes, and that's why im free to eat my pumpkin pie and wear my blue shows, the law is not PREVENTING me from doing so. The point is, why do you think your stupid opinion is above the law?

Edited by dandeedo

24 minutes ago, dandeedo said:

But its not the law. That's the point.... If there was a law against remote working, then when i showed my business to immigration when extending my visa, they probably would have had a bit more to say than เก่งมาก... my girlfriend was also recently in a motorcycle accident, i went with her to the police station, and the investigator and i chatted for a while, he asked what i did and i showed him my online business, he thought that was great and told me he would love to start his own business to make some extra income, i think he would have had more to say also if it was an issue. So does Matzzon law supersede thai law? And if your going to tell me that there is no law specifically perimissing digital nomads, well is there a law permissing the consumption of pumpkin pie or wearing blue shoes? i dont think so... But there is no law against eating pumpkin pie or wearing blue shoes, and that's why im free to eat my pumpkin pie and wear my blue shows, the law is not PREVENTING me from doing so. The point is, why do you think your stupid opinion is above the law?

As for now they do not enforce that law. However, as you are physically working in Thailand on tourist visa without a work permit which you can´t get on a tourist visa. You are breaking the law. In other words it is not an opinion.

As you probably have been reading a lot about, they always had a rule and law about how much money need to be shown, for getting long stay visas in Thailand, but they did not enforce the laws. It´s exactly the same with your situation. There is a law that states you cannot work in Thailand without a work permit and the right visa for that.

So, again not my opinion, but the already written law. Hey, what the heck. Enjoy, have fun as long as it last. They will take care of that too in a near future.

When that happens, we can start talk about who was stupid and talked to everyone about his illegal work in Thailand. ????????

I can assure you, that it wont be me. But, by all means. Eat your pumpkin and walk in your blue shoes as long as it last.

Edited by Matzzon

5 hours ago, dandeedo said:

I don't know why everyone on this forum is so miserable. 

Me neither, but once you have accepted them for the free entertainment they provide and entirely predictable responses you can trigger, it's actually great fun to wind them up.

Edited by Caldera
Additional Thought

As for now they do not enforce that law. However, as you are physically working in Thailand on tourist visa without a work permit which you can´t get on a tourist visa. You are breaking the law. In other words it is not an opinion.

As you probably have been reading a lot about, they always had a rule and law about how much money need to be shown, for getting long stay visas in Thailand, but they did not enforce the laws. It´s exactly the same with your situation. There is a law that states you cannot work in Thailand without a work permit and the right visa for that.

So, again not my opinion, but the already written law. Hey, what the heck. Enjoy, have fun as long as it last. They will take care of that too in a near future.

When that happens, we can start talk about who was stupid and talked to everyone about his illegal work in Thailand. ????????

I can assure you, that it wont be me. But, by all means. Eat your pumpkin and walk in your blue shoes as long as it last.

Alright look man... If this was true, the immigration officers would have enforced that when i showed them i am working remotely, as a digital nomad, it was not an issue to them... So I dont see what your issue is, i dont plan on staying here for years either... I'll be heading back soon. 

Yeah it's true, I talked a bout my remote work online, and with the thai police and immigration too.. they were ok with it, it's only captain Matzzon who's got an issue, his mast is higher than the rest. 

I get it, the internet brings out guys like you who feel the need to shoot people down, that's how it is, that's probabaly how it always will be... So it's all good. 

Sure they probably will change things in the future, but it's not the future. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Caldera said:

Me neither, but once you have accepted them for the free entertainment they provide and entirely predictable responses you can trigger, it's actually great fun to wind them up.

Haha yeah probably a better way of looking at it.

14 minutes ago, dandeedo said:

Sure they probably will change things in the future, but it's not the future. 

It´s not the point. What I am saying is that the law is there, and it is illegal but they do not enforce it at the moment. Sounds like you have a lot to learn about Thailand.

You are saying that there is no law in place, which is wrong.

After that you can call me what you want, you will still be wrong.

It´s not the point. What I am saying is that the law is there, and it is illegal but they do not enforce it at the moment. Sounds like you have a lot to learn about Thailand.

You are saying that there is no law in place, which is wrong.

After that you can call me what you want, you will still be wrong.

Im no lawyer, but it seems like quite a grey area with different laws, or at least the authorities and immigration would treat each case differently... It all boils down to whether or not you are taking work away from thais... Thats the bottom line, and that seems to be how a digital nomads work is considered to be working in thailand under thier law or not. 

So check this link, 

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-can-digital-nomads-legally-work-in-thailand-p177

This was compiled by lawyers (by the way, are you a lawyer?)

"""1. A Digital Nomad works on his dropshipping shop in a co-working space in Chiang Mai. Work or no work, concern or no concern?

The verdict: " From the perspective of the Work Permit Office, the Digital Nomad is allowed to manage his online shop during the duration of his stay in Thailand without a work permit. Even if some of his customers are in Thailand, he is just continuing to do something he was doing before he came to Thailand anyway.

However, if his products or market are mainly from Thailand, then YES this is considered to be work and it is a concern to us. "

2. A website designer offers his services to fellow Digital Nomads in Chiang Mai. Work or no work, concern or no concern?

The verdict: " YES, this is clearly work and he should get a work permit for it. This job could have been done by a Thai website designer, the foreigner is competing with Thai workers and so he needs a work permit. This can be a concern to us. "

This is a typical case, that regularly appears as a job advertisement on social media such as Facebook, which might go unnoticed or unpunished by the authorities because of its minor scale, but which is actually clearly illegal and might attract the attention of the authorities at some point.

4. A foreigner sits in his apartment in Chiang Mai and teaches Chinese students online via Skype.

The verdict: " Officially, work, however it is not a main concern to our office now, so we allow the foreigner to do this without a work permit. "

This verdict considers the scale of the work and the environment.

5. An overseas company recruits foreigners in Chiang Mai to teach Chinese students online via Skype.

The company is officially established in Hong Kong, but the teachers gather in an office space with computers to ensure a smooth teaching schedule.

8. A Digital Nomad is making vodcasts for his online course on Uemy on how to make money online.

He uses a space in Chiang Mai to cast the video editorial.

The verdict: " Can be considered work in the same way all most digital nomad work, however not a main concern. He didn't take a job from Thai people. Also, the content of his blog is not about Thailand and so it is not using sources of Thailand. <"

"""""

OK... So, my business is simlar to #4 ... I am NOT compeitting with thais, and ALL of my clients are australian... 

So again, are you a lawyer?

Edited by dandeedo
  • Like 1