motorcycle and alcohol.

harry1465

6 minutes ago, MadMuhammad said:

I’ve seen 24K for a first offence before. Along with a warning if the judge sees him again he’ll be deported. Says 3rd time in OP, I wouldn’t offer him much hope 

wow 24k is harsh.... do you spend much time in court to see what fines are handed out ?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

wow 24k is harsh.... do you spend much time in court to see what fines are handed out ?

I was in court for a whole day waiting for my friend to be ‘sentenced’. He’s the one that received the 24K fine, his first and only offence. I saw 2 other foreigners, 7 & 12K. One guy said he had only had 2 beers.

A little known fact is that if you have had your license less than 5 years your breath alcohol limit is 0.02 not 0.05. 

10 minutes ago, William Osborne said:

Amazing how some the posters here think that going for a few beers and driving scooter home is crime of the century...... i for one am quite capable of driving a scooter after 6,7,8 plus beers without being a risk to anyone....on the other hand i would never drive a truck/car after drinking..

Amazing.

Personally, for you friend or is it you?  Many like myself complain a lot about the Thai drivers here for good reason what reason does your friend have should really know better if he doesn't time to speak up and give him a reality check before he kills himself most important someone else.

Personally, I hope the police throw the book at him then deport him ban for 3 years should give him time to get some help with AA.

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

Amazing.

It's indeed this "I can" attitude that alcohol addicts bring forward.

From the OP: escaped two times with a penalty. Good chance that he might be ripe for a prison sentence and that should imply deportation.

He could extend his stay by appealing.

Can take many months and include confiscation of passport and forbidden to leave the country (being listed).

EDIT: was he offered bail or not? (20 to 40k).

If not it does not look good.

Time seem to have changed since the story my friend told me about his motorbike drive home from a bit too wet Mekong-Coke nightlife night – and it was a friend, I don't drive motorbike...???? 

My friend reckoned that if he turned the light off and drove in the wrong side of the road – the island was very deserted at night back then, so no harm – he could be mistaken for a Thai, and nobody, especially police, would take notice. He did fine for about 10 kilometers, only a few more to go, but unfortunately he tilted with the motorbike right in front of the 24-hour manned police box close to his bungalow. The few officers on duty ran out, checked him, dusted him of, checked that the motorbike was Okay, put him back on the motorbike, and with a hand clap on his back sent him off for the last short ride...????

21 hours ago, Inn Between said:

I can't take this post seriously, so I'll advise "your friend" not to worry and to please continue getting drunk and driving around on his scooter. The police won't bother doing much until the 5th or 6th time he's caught, so all is good.  

You give bad advice for drink and drive. You should be arrested yourself for condoning drink and drive.

3 minutes ago, khunPer said:

the island was very deserted at night back then, so no harm

Ko Samui is different :biggrin:

But seriously: Pattaya is not as "relaxed" with the DUI handling anymore.

(just noticed the OP did not specify location?)

2 hours ago, William Osborne said:

Amazing how some the posters here think that going for a few beers and driving scooter home is crime of the century...... i for one am quite capable of driving a scooter after 6,7,8 plus beers without being a risk to anyone....on the other hand i would never drive a truck/car after drinking..

Like all drunken drivers, they think, its no risk.....Drunken idea????

1 hour ago, Captain 776 said:

3rd. Offense~~~!!! I hope like hell he gets deported.

Should get at least 5 yrs in jail too before deportation.

48 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's indeed this "I can" attitude that alcohol addicts bring forward.

Err... no some people can actually go out have a meal and a few drinks, drive home at a nice leisurely pace without causing multiplie traffic pile ups or mowing down kids at 11.00 at night....i really think these posters asking for deportation or jail time have mental issues that need to be addressed....seriously ????????

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You mean a temporary 2 year licence

Including temporary licenses. Some people live here and have 5 year licenses....

Thailand's legal blood-alcohol limit for drivers is 0.5 grams per liter of blood, and 0.2 grams for drivers who have possessed their license for less than five years. The fines for drunk driving in Thailand are usually heavy and can increase during holiday seasons

http://thailawforum.com/tourst-guide-laws-Thailand-2.html

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Time seem to have changed since the story my friend told me about his motorbike drive home from a bit too wet Mekong-Coke nightlife night – and it was a friend, I don't drive motorbike...???? 

My friend reckoned that if he turned the light off and drove in the wrong side of the road – the island was very deserted at night back then, so no harm – he could be mistaken for a Thai, and nobody, especially police, would take notice. He did fine for about 10 kilometers, only a few more to go, but unfortunately he tilted with the motorbike right in front of the 24-hour manned police box close to his bungalow. The few officers on duty ran out, checked him, dusted him of, checked that the motorbike was Okay, put him back on the motorbike, and with a hand clap on his back sent him off for the last short ride...????

Yeah, i've got a few off my face in the middle of nowhere stories set in Thailand.

Inc with the local law, as above, most helpful.

However, i'm not mentioning them on this thread in case i get hung, drawn and quartered.

And then lynched.

By the anti-fun Nazis.

40 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

Yeah, i've got a few off my face in the middle of nowhere stories set in Thailand.

Inc with the local law, as above, most helpful.

However, i'm not mentioning them on this thread in case i get hung, drawn and quartered.

And then lynched.

By the anti-fun Nazis.

I know where you are coming from.

I better not talk about when I lived on Phuket in the early 2000's :whistling:

Including temporary licenses. Some people live here and have 5 year licenses....

Thailand's legal blood-alcohol limit for drivers is 0.5 grams per liter of blood, and 0.2 grams for drivers who have possessed their license for less than five years. The fines for drunk driving in Thailand are usually heavy and can increase during holiday seasons

http://thailawforum.com/tourst-guide-laws-Thailand-2.html

Nope. That link is 8 years old and says "held a licence for less than 5 years".

It's those that hold a temporary 2 year licence, which then gets converted to another 2 or 5 year licence depending

14 hours ago, MadMuhammad said:

I was in court for a whole day waiting for my friend to be ‘sentenced’. He’s the one that received the 24K fine, his first and only offence. I saw 2 other foreigners, 7 & 12K. One guy said he had only had 2 beers.

A little known fact is that if you have had your license less than 5 years your breath alcohol limit is 0.02 not 0.05. 

5 yr licence is .05, 2 yr temp licence is .02.

Your "friend" should hold off on the drink driving until he has the 5 yr licence before trying again.

1 minute ago, Don Mega said:

5 yr licence is .05, 2 yr temp licence is .02.

Your "friend" should hold off on the drink driving until he has the 5 yr licence before trying again.

Should hold off being over the allowed limits forever, his life may not be worth considering for him , but some consideration for others on the road.

Archived