Requirements for tourist visa extension

Next week, I must extend my 60 day tourist visa in Chaengwatthana. I have been told that I must have the documents below. When I extended my visa exempt stay earlier this summer I gave only the name of the guesthouse I was staying in, and that sufficed.

My landlord doesn't know anything about these requirements and thinks they are a recent introduction.  I did not register any house address after coming back from Laos almost two months ago as I was staying in hostels at that time. It has been suggested that I will likely be fined for not doing so. Is this the case? Would I need all the documentation below if I was still residing in hostel accommodation? Is it only at Chaengwatthana that all these documents are required?

Any help much appreciated.

TM30 signed by the landlord
-a copy of the title deeds of the property
-rental contract
-house registration
-Landlord's ID

Gosh, if on a 60 day SETV I would not have any of those things!   I would be staying in a hotel, and most likely would have visited a few different places in Thailand, Phuket or some other province, been in a few different hotels, etc.  I did some visa exempt extensions many years ago and for convenience I used Key Visa agency and they saved me a trip to immigration ( I was in Pattaya at the time).  I didn't give them anything except passport and photos and some Baht as I recall. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

>> I have been told 

Who told you ?  A TM30 for a 1 month extension of a tourist visum ? Till a couple of months ago you needed your passport, a copy of the passport, copy of visum page, copy of TM6 (?), a passport photo and 1900 Baht. That's all.

I

Most tourists will stay at a hotel. I don't believe that a hotel will give you things like the title deeds of the property, or a Landlord's ID.

If you are sure about these new requirements it is probably best to book a hotel for a couple of nights.

I was denied a 30 day visa exempt extension 2 weeks ago. They gave me a  paper that showed all those requests. It was the first time i had been denied a extension in 13 years.

I had to leave and re enter and had no issues.

some really wacky stuff is happening nowadays. the immigration here would not process my extension unless i showed a copy of my gf's ID card. I said no , you dont need a girlfriend to extend a tourist visa. Then they said ok you have to show the ID card of your apartment landlord if you want the extension.

4 hours ago, at15 said:

some really wacky stuff is happening nowadays. the immigration here would not process my extension unless i showed a copy of my gf's ID card. I said no , you dont need a girlfriend to extend a tourist visa. Then they said ok you have to show the ID card of your apartment landlord if you want the extension.

At what immigration office was this?

At  Jomtien IO they will not give you an extension of your tourist visa or visa exempt If you do not have the Notification of address slip  of paper in your passport. I do this every time I stay. AT the same time, i see many people fined and told to do their their TM28 first. 

There are 2 options:

1. You can stay at a Hotel the night before visiting your provincial IO. 

Note 1: The Hotel should ask for your passport as they need to fill in your data (name / passport number - issue and validity date / TM6 number) to file the TM30 (which will turn up in the IO database).  

Note 2: To be on the safe side you could book for 2 nights, to ensure that you are not checked-out before visiting your provincial IO, as they are looking for a filed TM30 of the place where you are currently staying.  

2. If you don't stay in a Hotel, you could simply go to the provincial IO and bring a copy with you of the house-book where you are presently residing, as well as a front-back copy of the ID-card of the owner.  That will allow you to do the TM30 on the spot (in fact you are then doing it on behalf of the owner).  However, be prepared that you are likely to be fined (800 - 1600, or max 2000 THB) as you were not in compliance with TM30 regulations.

Note 3: If your IO does not strictly adhere to the book, it is indeed possible that they will simply approve your extension of stay even if you are not in compliance with TM30.  

1 hour ago, Peter Denis said:

There are 2 options:

On hindsight there is also 3rd option worth considering:

3. Your landlord and/or yourself could register the place where you are staying on the TM30 website.  Doing so only requires filling in the correct address and other relevant data on the website, as well as uploading a scan of the house-book and a front-back copy of the owner's ID-card.  When the information is complete and correct, the registration will be approved and your landlord or yourself will receive a username:password that will allow you to file the TM30 yourself.  

Previously I would not have suggested that course, since you indicated your extension of stay is due in 1 week, and the process from registering till receipt of username:password took a couple of weeks.  However, it seems the process has been sped up and there are now reports of TVF-members that received their username:password next day.

Going for option 3, has the obvious advantage that it would avoid you having to take a Hotel (option 1) or having to pay the fine for non-compliance (option 2).  So, it's worth registering and hoping that your provincial IO (which has to issue the username:password) is quick to respond.

Note: You can find all the info to register on the Forum, but if you have questions or need specific info, you can PM me.

12 hours ago, at15 said:

So is that what you did?  Seems like they just keep making stuff up with each application they see.

6 hours ago, geisha said:

At  Jomtien IO they will not give you an extension of your tourist visa or visa exempt If you do not have the Notification of address slip  of paper in your passport. I do this every time I stay. AT the same time, i see many people fined and told to do their their TM28 first. 

I have self reported my address through the TM30 as the possessor (as a tenant) twice at Jomtien Immigration. I have never been told to submit the TM28. I have seen many being fined when landlords haven't reported them,but never for not submitting the TM28.

• Like 1

Max, every time I have applied for an extension on my SETV, they have asked for the slip of paper they staple in your passport proving you have done your Notification of address within the 24 hrs .  (My condo office also report my arrival .) They then add the date onto the slip of paper. 

53 minutes ago, geisha said:

Max, every time I have applied for an extension on my SETV, they have asked for the slip of paper they staple in your passport proving you have done your Notification of address within the 24 hrs .  (My condo office also report my arrival .) They then add the date onto the slip of paper. 

Notification of address is done with the form TM.28. Is this what you are talking about?

28 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Notification of address is done with the form TM.28. Is this what you are talking about?

I don't understand that this topic doesn't get more attention.

I am 100% sure that until about 3 months ago you could just get a 1 month extension on a tourist visum or VE without any TM28 or TM30. At least in BKK.  

• Like 1

I guess I maybe fined. Don't know any of this stuff with tm30 or tm28. In Bangkok for 1 mo to then 1mo in Pattaya on 2 mo tourist visa. Staying at Airbnbs both times.  If there is a fine I'll pay it. Can't be bothered with this BS.  Leaving for KL after Pattaya. I would have booked a hotel but I wanted to open a bank account which I did. The hotels' internet was spotty so I decided to go w Airbnb place again in Pattaya.

Edited by yahboo11

37 minutes ago, dimitriv said:

I don't understand that this topic doesn't get more attention.

I am 100% sure that until about 3 months ago you could just get a 1 month extension on a tourist visum or VE without any TM28 or TM30. At least in bkk. 

+1,im pretty sure things hasnt changed. 

Thanks for all the replies, many helpful ideas.

Like some of the posts, I too had extensions to an SETV in previous years without any of this, I only ever had to supply an address of a hostel or hotel.

I had done the same as in the first of Peter’s suggestions on a previous occasion and it was hassle free, and it might even have been sufficient this time.

I opted to do a border run instead as I will likely be able to go for a Non-B visa next month.

I will incur an 800 baht fine over the delayed TM30 when I present next time, regardless.

A friend faced increased scrutiny in Vientiane recently regarding a second SETV so there is certainly a change in operational procedures across much of the service. And, it seems from the posts on the query, there’s no consistency.