TH DL in USA can use?

oMega69

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Yes - your TDL is recognized & accepted in the U.S......Both my wife & I have used them....

This was with the major rental companies.....

Depends on the state if Thai DL can be used. As far as I can remember it can be used nearly anywhere though.

7 hours ago, oMega69 said:

May i use my TH DL in America? . . going to florida for 2 week and going to rent a car . . .

Welcome to Florida, please turn your left hand signal off after a while unless you are traveling around the world to the left.:tongue:

No problem using your Thai licence in FL but might have a problem renting as many rental agencies might not be able to read your licence or tell if it is valid.  Call the rental agencies first and ask if you would need an international translation or what? 

As Macahoom says its easy at the rental car counter and the cops recognize foreign licenses as well. They have your name in English and thats all that matters. You may be asked to show a passport as well but that is as far as it goes. My Thai wife is always included as a supplemental drivers as well. 

51 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Welcome to Florida, please turn your left hand signal off after a while unless you are traveling around the world to the left.:tongue:

No problem using your Thai licence in FL but might have a problem renting as many rental agencies might not be able to read your licence or tell if it is valid.  Call the rental agencies first and ask if you would need an international translation or what? 

Since all information on the Thai license is in English, they will be able to read.

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Since all information on the Thai license is in English, they will be able to read.

but have no way to determine if it is a valid drivers licence. For rental purposes I would call first. It would suck if you arrived and had a problem.

An ounce of prevention........:smile:  

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

And be sure to let us know how many times you hit the wiper lever instead of the turn signal lever.....

Gets me a couple of times both ways.....Gives my wife a good laugh = until it's her turn......????

On 9/14/2019 at 4:56 AM, pgrahmm said:

Yes - your TDL is recognized & accepted in the U.S......Both my wife & I have used them....

This was with the major rental companies.....

Thank you !

hope no issue as i have the temporal 2yr license as i dont have Non immigrant visa in TH.

On 9/14/2019 at 6:41 AM, PatOngo said:

Thai driving is not exactly globally recognised as being of high standard.

Your subjective perception of Thai driving standards don't come into it at all, the fact that it's a licence, legally issued by a government agency is what counts. 

A lot of US drivers don't have high driving standards either but they were able to get a licence and then drop their standards as low as they wish.

On 9/14/2019 at 2:41 PM, sirineou said:

but have no way to determine if it is a valid drivers licence. For rental purposes I would call first. It would suck if you arrived and had a problem.

An ounce of prevention........:smile:  

They also have no way to determine that the licence is not valid, especially if there is a recently issued IDP to go with it.  That 'ounce of prevention' is superfluous. 

If the inability to determine the validity of a licence that is acceptable to law enforcement, who also cannot determine that validity, was really an issue no foreign licences, from any country, would be acceptable in the US.

21 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Your subjective perception of Thai driving standards don't come into it at all, the fact that it's a licence, legally issued by a government agency is what counts. 

A lot of US drivers don't have high driving standards either but they were able to get a licence and then drop their standards as low as they wish.

Thanks for your learned advise...I'll avoid the USA!

1 minute ago, PatOngo said:
24 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Thanks for your learned advise...I'll avoid the USA!

Same applies to drivers in your own country.

Just now, PatOngo said:

You know where I'm from?

No, I don't, although I could probably hazard a good guess.  I don't need to have that information, though, to know that your personal subjective ideas of the driving standards of licence holders of any country, whichever country it is, are irrelevant as far as the acceptance of foreign driving licences are concerned.

3 hours ago, Just Weird said:

They also have no way to determine that the licence is not valid, especially if there is a recently issued IDP to go with it.  That 'ounce of prevention' is superfluous. 

If the inability to determine the validity of a licence that is acceptable to law enforcement, who also cannot determine that validity, was really an issue no foreign licences, from any country, would be acceptable in the US.

Car rental companies are privately owned and have their own private policies. Why take a chance? 

". In most situations, foreign drivers should be able to rent vehicles without any issues. However, it is strongly recommended that foreign drivers first call whichever rental agency they plan to use. Legally speaking, foreign nationals driving in Florida is allowed, but there may be some rental agencies that do not accept a foreign driving license as proper identification for renting a vehicle "

https://florida-assistance.org/florida-dmv/drivers-license-services/visitors-driving-in-florida/

On 9/14/2019 at 3:29 AM, stevenl said:

The only English on my motorcycle license is the license number, the Thai date (12/06/21) and my signature.  It's a lifetime license with no expiration date.  I does have a picture of a "hansum" young man. ????

6 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

The only English on my motorcycle license is the license number, the Thai date (12/06/21) and my signature.  It's a lifetime license with no expiration date.  I does have a picture of a "hansum" young man. ????

Indeed lifetime license is in Thai and my photo is 50 years old now.  There used to be several States that would not allow driving on a foreign DL for US Citizen; but perhaps that is no longer true.

44 minutes ago, oMega69 said:

So i guess a Temporary THAI Licence aint good in USA then ? . . . , well the Full and TEMP just diff its 2yr vs 5yr... as i had them both... just dont have Non- Visa any more... so downgraded.

Doesn't matter if 2 years or 5 years, both are valid driving permits. So unless an IDP is required you won't have a problem.

https://treaties.un.org/doc/Treaties/1952/03/19520326 03-36 PM/Ch_XI_B_1_2_3.pdf See Chapter 5 (page 29 in the PDF)

Actually according to the treaty which Thailand signed, the DLTs should also issue an IDP for a two years license.

15 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Doesn't matter if 2 years or 5 years, both are valid driving permits. So unless an IDP is required you won't have a problem.

https://treaties.un.org/doc/Treaties/1952/03/19520326 03-36 PM/Ch_XI_B_1_2_3.pdf See Chapter 5 (page 29 in the PDF)

Actually according to the treaty which Thailand signed, the DLTs should also issue an IDP for a two years license.

Yes the POLICE will be no problem...

But Enterprise rental agency would not agree i think.

7 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Indeed lifetime license is in Thai and my photo is 50 years old now.  There used to be several States that would not allow driving on a foreign DL for US Citizen; but perhaps that is no longer true.

Yeah.  Then and now.  "Honest, officer, that's me!" 

image.png.d9b69e68d8112638a76427089f25bbe3.png  image.png.ee41b81cf2c60050178c54fc46000d1f.png

9 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

Thanks for pointing out the one exception.

Archived