BANGKOK
oMega69

TH DL in USA can use?

May i use my TH DL in America? . . going to florida for 2 week and going to rent a car . . .

Thai driving is not exactly globally recognised as being of high standard.

Edited by PatOngo
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Yes - your TDL is recognized & accepted in the U.S......Both my wife & I have used them....

This was with the major rental companies.....

1 hour ago, pgrahmm said:

Yes - your TDL is recognized & accepted in the U.S......Both my wife & I have used them....

Depends on the state if Thai DL can be used. As far as I can remember it can be used nearly anywhere though.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Depends on the state if Thai DL can be used. As far as I can remember it can be used nearly anywhere though.

We used ours in Calif & Texas....

7 hours ago, oMega69 said:

May i use my TH DL in America? . . going to florida for 2 week and going to rent a car . . .

Welcome to Florida, please turn your left hand signal off after a while unless you are traveling around the world to the left.:tongue:

No problem using your Thai licence in FL but might have a problem renting as many rental agencies might not be able to read your licence or tell if it is valid.  Call the rental agencies first and ask if you would need an international translation or what? 

Edited by sirineou
  • Confused 1

I have rented and driven cars in many states and never had an issue using my Thai licence. 

Often my Thai girlfriend has been on the rental as a second driver. Again, no problem at all.

• Like 1

As Macahoom says its easy at the rental car counter and the cops recognize foreign licenses as well. They have your name in English and thats all that matters. You may be asked to show a passport as well but that is as far as it goes. My Thai wife is always included as a supplemental drivers as well. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Welcome to Florida, please turn your left hand signal off after a while unless you are traveling around the world to the left.:tongue:

No problem using your Thai licence in FL but might have a problem renting as many rental agencies might not be able to read your licence or tell if it is valid.  Call the rental agencies first and ask if you would need an international translation or what? 

Since all information on the Thai license is in English, they will be able to read.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Since all information on the Thai license is in English, they will be able to read.

but have no way to determine if it is a valid drivers licence. For rental purposes I would call first. It would suck if you arrived and had a problem.

An ounce of prevention........:smile:  

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, sirineou said:

And be sure to let us know how many times you hit the wiper lever instead of the turn signal lever.....

Gets me a couple of times both ways.....Gives my wife a good laugh = until it's her turn......😂

• Haha 2

On 9/14/2019 at 4:56 AM, pgrahmm said:

Thank you !

hope no issue as i have the temporal 2yr license as i dont have Non immigrant visa in TH.

Edited by oMega69

On 9/14/2019 at 6:41 AM, PatOngo said:

Thai driving is not exactly globally recognised as being of high standard.

Your subjective perception of Thai driving standards don't come into it at all, the fact that it's a licence, legally issued by a government agency is what counts. 

A lot of US drivers don't have high driving standards either but they were able to get a licence and then drop their standards as low as they wish.

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2019 at 11:05 AM, stevenl said:

Foreign driving licences can be used legally in every US state but some states require that an IDP is also carried.

• Like 1