400,000 pre and post seasoning

Got an extension of permission to stay based on marriage this year for the first time. I was planning to leave the 400,00 baht in the bank all year so as not to fall afoul of the confusing seasoning requirements, especially the post extension part. Now I have a short term cash crunch and using 50,000 baht of that would be easier than other options. So, after these few months, do we have clarity on when you need to have the full amount in the bank before applying for your next extension (seems pretty clear it is 3 months, correct?) and also how many months after the extension I need to have the  money in that account. I did the extension in March. Thanks for your help.

The requirements for a marriage extension haven't changed lately. 

Proof of 400k baht in the bank for 2 months by way of a letter from your bank and your bank book.or 40k baht income.proven by a income letter from your embassy.

Edited by jacko45k

When I google the 800k baht requirements...every instance states a requirement to keep the 800k in bank for 3 months after receiving an extension.

Can someone point me to the official position today...it must have changed since earlier this year...would love to see evidence of same...????

• Confused 2

58 minutes ago, islandguy said:

And after the extension is granted is there a requirement to keep all or some of the 400,000 in the bank for a period of time?

The official rule is NO.

However you may see the odd report where someone quotes that their local office wanted to see bank book with 400k when returning to get extension after the 30 day approval period.

Probably more a misunderstanding or confusion with 800k rules.

2 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

When I google the 800k baht requirements...every instance states a requirement to keep the 800k in bank for 3 months after receiving an extension.

Can someone point me to the official position today...it must have changed since earlier this year...would love to see evidence of same...????

That only regards extension based on retirement. The OP is asking for the rules for an extension based on marriage. They are different. 

Marriage: 400 000 in bank seasoned 2 month before extension application. Sometimes you will have to show that there are still 400 000 in the same account at the day you pick up your extension. After that you are free to do what you want with the money, until its time for the new application.

Retirement: This extension adds a second requirement after extension has been granted. Here you must keep 800 000 in the bank 3 month after and might have to show that in combination with your first 90 day report. After that you can use half of the money, but can never fall under 400 000 baht during the year of your extension. Same for the next apllication is time to top up to 800 000 again.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Pedrogaz said:

I've simplified all this.....I put 800000 in an account and leave it there throughout the year. So no problems at all.

Hi Pedrogaz,

He only needs 400k in bank for a little over 3 mths counting the "under review" period. He is applying for marriage extension.

Edited by BertM
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, islandguy said:

And after the extension is granted is there a requirement to keep all or some of the 400,000 in the bank for a period of time?

Post #4  the answer is right there!  "after completion you can do what you want"  two months before your application again 400,000 must be back for seasoning.

The way the extension based on marriage usually works:

1) 400k is needed for 2 months prior to extension

2) When you apply they will give you 1 month extension pending approval. During which they do various checks like checking you are still married. 

3) New rules are you need to keep the 400k in the bank account during that 1 month pending approval as well***

4) When you go to "hear the result" and get your full approval for the remaining 11 months, you can do whatever you want with the 400k once full approved for the year and withdraw any time

Next year start at setp 1) again. So the rules are now 2 months prior to applying and 1 month after applying (during the pending approval period) until you get your final stamp

*** By new rules, I mean for me in May 2018 I didn't have to keep the 400k in the bank during 1 month pending approval period. It was only required 2 months before. May 2019 under new rules I had to keep the 400k in the bank account during 1 month review period as well as 2 months before. This is the new bit

Edited by fletchsmile
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I've simplified all this.....I put 800000 in an account and leave it there throughout the year. So no problems at all.

Yeah, that's the simplest but it still p!sses me off.  That money would be earning me around US$100 per month if it were invested in the States, so I add this to my cost of living... $100 of lost income each month. 

15 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

As said you only need to have the 400k baht in the bank for 2 months on the date you apply.

So offices are wanting proof the 400k baht is in the bank on day your return for the one year stamp.

After the extension application completed you can do what you want to with the 400k baht until 2 months before you apply for your next extension.

Is this information for the first visa extension. I'm  planning on applying next month for the change to marriage from working and they didn't mention the money having to be in for any time beforehand. 

My plan was to put the 400k in the bank just before applying, or if they refuse my 100k+ a month for over a year. 

Just now, Neeranam said:

Is this information for the first visa extension. I'm  planning on applying next month for the change to marriage from working and they didn't mention the money having to be in for any time beforehand. 

My plan was to put the 400k in the bank just before applying, or if they refuse my 100k+ a month for over a year. 

If you are using the income the capital sum doesnt apply. 

But if you want it as a back up, just in case, then it needs to be there 2 months prior.

• Like 2

Another good thing with O based upon marriage is no health insurance requirement that I'm aware of....even though I have it. They're really putting it to the retirees with the new regs....all due to the system cheaters....as usual. Now you see why it isn't funny that someone you might know is gaming the system. It comes back on you.

7 minutes ago, Martian said:

Another good thing with O based upon marriage is no health insurance requirement that I'm aware of....even though I have it. They're really putting it to the retirees with the new regs....all due to the system cheaters....as usual. Now you see why it isn't funny that someone you might know is gaming the system. It comes back on you.

Insurance is not needed for retirement extention either.

• Like 1

On 9/15/2019 at 1:54 AM, CharlieH said:

If you are using the income the capital sum doesnt apply. 

This is true, though some have reported in the group when using the income method, a confused IO still wants to see the lump sum amount as well.  

59 minutes ago, Martian said:

Health insurance is only required for O-X visa. Not even required for O-A let alone annual extensions based on retirement.

17 hours ago, Martian said:

Another good thing with O based upon marriage is no health insurance requirement that I'm aware of

The only Visa that does require it is a Non-Imm O-X! Recently it was announced that the idea of requiring tourists to buy or have medical insurance has also been shelved.