Thailand freak accident death Briton 'lived life to full'

rooster59

This door breakage does not strike me as the kind that would result in the puncture of a persons stomach, this appears to be safety glass. Help me, I'm an old and not too smart Safety Engineer. If you showed me bloody shards, I would better understand, in any event, RIP.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, gunderhill said:

tiled  floors, wet  floor , wet shoes, tripped  on rug elderly ( my Mothers sister  died from banging head  on floor when slipped) and a whole host of other ways to fall down. Safety  glass would  stop most of  that

Safety glass won't stop falling down etc, but will help preserve life if you fall into a glass panel. 

10 hours ago, Yinn said:

Drunk too much?

"He had consumed some alcohol and he and his friends returned to his accommodation.

So the glass that wasn't the correct standard isn't at fault - it is the young guy who tripped over a suitcase, carelessly dumped in the reception area - near a dangerous glass door (probably left by a Thai Bellboy), eh?

So, My Yinn, I presume that from your sporadic taunts on Thai Visa, if it had been an elderly Thai man or woman, it too, wouldn't have been an accident - rather that he or she had been drinking... to much?

Logical reasoning at its basic Neanderthal level. 

13 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

And who was responsible to have glass like that in a door?

People fall from time to time. That's one of the reasons why security glass is used in doors all over the world.

What is the law in Thailand about security glass?

broken-window-on-business-glass-door-sha

I agree, but when things like that are introduced most posters on here start banging on about the nanny state

14 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

People fall from time to time. That's one of the reasons why security glass is used in doors all over the world.

There would not be any point in having laws as they would not get enforced, so why bother?

On 9/14/2019 at 3:53 AM, Yinn said:

Drunk too much?

"He had consumed some alcohol and he and his friends returned to his accommodation.

No.  He died due to inadequate health and safely measures due to Thai low standards. Safety glass of one sort or another has been standard in civilised countries for decades. He was killed by a shard of glass irrespective of whether he was inebriated or not. To reference him being drunk is mean spirited and cruel. Shameful in fact.

12 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

I agree, but when things like that are introduced most posters on here start banging on about the nanny state

No they do not complain when organisation are required to conform to well established health and safety norms. That is not nanny state ism. The latter is when individuals have their freedoms curtailed for petty reasons.

1 hour ago, wreckingcountry said:

Glass on doors and windows in Thailand are of poor quality and narrow thickness.. and of course no such thing as double glazing

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Plenty of Thai companies make good quality glass to internationally recognized standards and double glazing is available but not many people tare willing to pay the extra for it.

3 hours ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Irrelevant.  A stumble, slip or fall by anybody, in any condition,  of any age would have resulted in serious injury

and should point out also,

in countries like Australia

i heard of a few nutjobs, gone to a hospital from the accident result from being pเssed..

actually front up still pเssed and carrying on like complete bell-ends.

they usualky dont get to much sympathy.

so that might explain the reasonings of a few posters here?

1 hour ago, tingtongtourist said:

and should point out also,

in countries like Australia

i heard of a few nutjobs, gone to a hospital from the accident result from being pเssed..

actually front up still pเssed and carrying on like complete bell-ends.

they usualky dont get to much sympathy.

so that might explain the reasonings of a few posters here?

yeah I too give them little sympathy and that extends people who die whilst <deleted> up.

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Drinked.

Drunk.

On 9/14/2019 at 10:07 AM, KhaoTan said:

I really don't think that is fair, if he drank too much, so what? He was in the "safety" of his hotel room and it was an accident.  Poor guy, RIP.  

If he not drunk, he probably not fall down, he probably not need to wake up and go to toilet. Maybe he can help himself after it happen? 

Or not?

On 9/14/2019 at 10:09 AM, essox essox said:

but where are you.....we are talking about Thailand.....!! 

SAFETY !!!!!!

He England guy. Same in England? All the place have safe glass? Or not

Glass in doors and windows is amongst the more common building features involved in accidents on domestic premises, perhaps accounting for 16,000 non-fatal events reported to hospital Accident and Emergency Departments in England and Wales each year.”

On 9/14/2019 at 10:34 AM, gunderhill said:

where?

Mr Goodere, from Skegness, Lincolnshire, may have sustained his injuries tripping over a suitcase.

Coroner report.

On 9/14/2019 at 10:42 AM, Don Mega said:

Why. Did he naturally have balance issue ?

No

On 9/14/2019 at 10:44 AM, fruitman said:

A Brit? Where is the crowdfunding website?

https://ie.gofundme.com/f/3rzfd-bring-luke-home

Already got enough. Want 5000, they get 8,000. Go already.

On 9/14/2019 at 10:55 AM, Fex Bluse said:

Doesn't matter if he was drunk or not.

Thailand has no safety, and that is the problem.

Only thailand? Or everywhere?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/international/england/8565994/England-wicketkeeper-Matt-Prior-insists-broken-window-at-Lords-was-just-a-freak-accident.html

On 9/14/2019 at 11:05 AM, Artisi said:

What is the accident in your opinion,  falling over or being killed by the glass? 

However whether drunk, partly drunk, or sober it makes no difference - poor safety standards resulted in his death. 

Then maybe you always blame the victim. 

You blame the glass. 

On 9/14/2019 at 11:26 AM, JonnyF said:

Victim blaming. A classic Thai trait.

How about a 7 year old kid did the same thing while playing with his siblings? Or a pensioner that lost balance?

That not happen. No kid, no pensioner. It was the drunk guy.

On 9/14/2019 at 12:11 PM, RJRS1301 said:

He apparently tripped over his luggage, so possibly yes. 

Is this called victim blaming?

It was accident.

On 9/14/2019 at 5:03 PM, aqua4 said:

There are no laws in Thailand to the best of my knowledge about safety glass. There are 15 story buildings on Sukhumvit with standard glass all the way up. 

Look at link. At “failure” http://glasssafetysurvey.co.uk/uk-glass-safety-laws/

it the world problem.

On 9/14/2019 at 5:22 PM, Artisi said:

Safety glass won't stop falling down etc, but will help preserve life if you fall into a glass panel. 

The glass door go to the balcony. Should put net on the balcony also?

On 9/14/2019 at 8:10 PM, Bundooman said:

So the glass that wasn't the correct standard isn't at fault - it is the young guy who tripped over a suitcase, carelessly dumped in the reception area - near a dangerous glass door (probably left by a Thai Bellboy), eh?

So, My Yinn, I presume that from your sporadic taunts on Thai Visa, if it had been an elderly Thai man or woman, it too, wouldn't have been an accident - rather that he or she had been drinking... to much?

Logical reasoning at its basic Neanderthal level. 

How how do you know what glass they had? 

The coroner report not blame the glass. Maybe the Coroner the Neanderthal also? Or not?

On 9/15/2019 at 10:51 AM, sunnyboy2018 said:

To reference him being drunk is mean spirited and cruel. Shameful in fact.

Me or the coroner?

i not shameful. I just look the other link about this story with more information. And post that. You have problem, write to the coroner. 

i think better to know the whole story. Or not?

RIP Luke

12 hours ago, Yinn said:

Coroner report.

Still don't  see it? Is  it  in the linked  bbc  article? (edit NO) or somewhere else?

Found  coroners  report below  which concluded.

"He may or may not have had too much alcohol in his system - I make no findings in relation to that.

Source 

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/local-news/lincolnshire-man-dies-bizarre-accident-3311694

On 9/14/2019 at 9:46 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Until there’s a fire or something... better to have tempered glass, just shatters into tiny pieces, not large shards.

On 9/14/2019 at 10:25 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe

Did you never in your life stumble when you were sober?

Should everybody who drinks alcohol pay with his life?

On 9/14/2019 at 10:26 AM, ezzra said:

Stumbling into glass doors and panes is a very common occurrence all over the world and many people loses life and limbs as results of such accidents. so very bad luck there indeed...

Virtually all the door glass in the USA is mandated to be safety glass. Liability wise in a situation like this in the USA, the drunkeness may reduce his damages, but not eliminate them. Comparative negligence.

Thats the USA though with a developed legal system and rule of law. Here, the hotel will skate cheap.

Archived