Britain may need a second Brexit referendum, says former PM Cameron

rooster59

4 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Because he's a lifelong Brexiteer and is frightened of winning.

It's a massive problem for  the Labour party, 65% of Labour voters voted remain, a large majority of Labour MPs are remainers and even Momentum are now getting on his case for not coming out firmly in the remain camp. Should be an interesting Labour party conference. Corbyn has very little true support in the Labour party now, only the old far left MPs who have always supported Brexit, Dennis Skinner, ginger Kinnock, son of ginger Kinnock et al.

I am convinced that if Labour had had a strong remainr leader for the last 5 years, remain would have won the referendum and Labour would be in government now.

It's never too late, time for a change.

This is a good answer to the question. 

The Labour Party did need to swing to the left a bit after Milliband's weak performance. However they didn't need to go OTT and get a rather unintelligent,  Europhobic ideologue. The young were attracted by his rehashed Benn speeches, and that is really the one thing he has achieved, increasing the membership. Farage must have though all his prayers had been answered when Labour chose him. I hope you are correct in saying  "Corbyn has very little true support in the Labour party now," of course there are McLusky, Milne, Murphy, and Laverty  to comfort him.

They say that Ladbrookes and William Hill have put a man on McLusky to find out which horse he is betting on, so they can safety give it very long odds. His reputation for choosing losers is impressive!  If Cameron had not been so obsessed with fighting off UKIP he would have realised the very real danger that Corbyn posed when he went for a referendum.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

This is a good answer to the question. 

The Labour Party did need to swing to the left a bit after Milliband's weak performance. However they didn't need to go OTT and get a rather unintelligent,  Europhobic ideologue. The young were attracted by his rehashed Benn speeches, and that is really the one thing he has achieved, increasing the membership. Farage must have though all his prayers had been answered when Labour chose him. I hope you are correct in saying  "Corbyn has very little true support in the Labour party now," of course there are McLusky, Milne, Murphy, and Laverty  to comfort him.

They say that Ladbrookes and William Hill have put a man on McLusky to find out which horse he is betting on, so they can safety give it very long odds. His reputation for choosing losers is impressive!  If Cameron had not been so obsessed with fighting off UKIP he would have realised the very real danger that Corbyn posed when he went for a referendum.

As a former UNITE convenor, I can tell you that McLusky has his own battles to fight with his stance on Brexit.

2 hours ago, vogie said:

You are being very presumptuous to think that the electorate that decided not to vote would be remainers.

Yes I am.  But given the screw ups and lies told do you think they would vote for this Brexit this time around even if they would have last time?

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

If we have to it again more people will be voting to leave out of the disgust and the contempt we have for our pro remain politicians.

Then I wonder why all the Brexiteers are desperate for no second referendum?  Maybe your voice is not that of the majority of the leavers because they seem to be running scared of a second vote.

I can only speak for me and you can only speak for you and neither of us have a crystal ball.

8 minutes ago, dunroaming said:

Yes I am.  But given the screw ups and lies told do you think they would vote for this Brexit this time around even if they would have last time?

Yes I do, on proviso that it was delivered, leaving the EU is not going to go away what ever happens, ignoring a democratic vote is a very dangerous thing to do. If you are going ask the electorate a binary question and you are only going to respect one of the answers, there will be problems.

35 minutes ago, vogie said:

Yes I do, on proviso that it was delivered, leaving the EU is not going to go away what ever happens, ignoring a democratic vote is a very dangerous thing to do. If you are going ask the electorate a binary question and you are only going to respect one of the answers, there will be problems.

Unless of course it is defeated by another democratic vote.

13 hours ago, Aforek said:

How do you know ? Britain is a country like the others; you stay, you pay, you want to leave, ok but you have to accept the conditions of EU; you really think EU will die because Britain has left ? 

Seen import duty, the present contribution of the UK will be 4-10x as high in import duty, depending w

Cameron is just another Eton hiso.

He should be ashamed for what he did to the UK, and certainly not not write books, but continue his hobby: sticking his deck into pork heads. That will be what history will remember him for.

I hope that this post will be approved by both brexiteers and remainers.

The beginning of reconciliation?

16 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Too late. The past 3 years have opened a lot of eyes to the nature of the EU. Even my Remainer friends just want to get out now.

Secondly, no point since Remainers MP's already said they would continue to block it in Parliament even if Leave won.

Thirdly, in the unlikely event remain won, it would destroy faith in democracy and possibly lead to civil unrest and demands for a best of 3 vote. More chaos.

The horse has bolted. Time for Remainers to stop humiliating the country and accept the majority want out. The EU doesn't want us to stay because they love us and want to do us a favour, they want us to stay because we are a huge net contributor. Huge misplaced loyalty from Remainers. Bordering on Stockholm syndrome.

The EU to the UK now is a bit like Thailand, just leave your wallet and go back home. We don't want you.

16 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I don't need to add Remoaning to the list. Too much self respect. Too much faith in my country. 

How the F*** can you or anybody have faith in a country that chooses Boris Johnson as it's leader ? 

10 hours ago, vogie said:

agree, im not a brit, i got no beef in this,

but asking the public to keep on voting until

they vote 'right' is a very bad idea

9 hours ago, tebee said:

How the F*** can you or anybody have faith in a country that chooses Boris Johnson as it's leader ? 

8 hours ago, roo860 said:

The country didn't choose him.

So if the country didn't choose him why are leavers who purport to support democracy cheering  him on as he tries to suppress our democratic institutions  and force his will on the country without democratic scrutiny?   

On 9/14/2019 at 10:35 AM, BobBKK said:

Cameron caused all this chaos by not setting a 5% majority needed. Then he ran away and now he's squealing. His arrogance caused all this.

Yes, but he's hoping to add to his wealthy millions by flogging his memoirs! So every cloud has a silver lining if your're born with a silver spoon in your mouth!

And screw the great unwashed sheeple!

1 hour ago, tebee said:

So if the country didn't choose him why are leavers who purport to support democracy cheering  him on as he tries to suppress our democratic institutions  and force his will on the country without democratic scrutiny?   

Two different things. He led the leave campaign and is seen as someone who'll give the EU two fingers and leave, regardless of any consequences. So he get support from all those who believe the snake oil he, Farage, Gove, Mogg etc peddle.

Leavers either don't (the vast majority) understand the British Constitution and it's representative processes or ignore it if the do (a minority). They hate the EU and therefore believe anything the pro leave politicians tell them, without ever checking any facts. They have no idea about undermining democracy, breaking the law etc as their only focus is on leaving. Blinkered and deaf.

The leader is voted according to the rules of the particular party by the party's members. In the Conservatives that's around 160k people. 

This <deleted> who has just crawled out of the <deleted> pile, Spent over a Million pounds of tax payers money on leaflets posted through every door in Britain saying the Government would respect the Public vote, All he has done is proved Politicians are deceitful liers, with British tax payers money.

2 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

This <deleted> who has just crawled out of the <deleted> pile, Spent over a Million pounds of tax payers money on leaflets posted through every door in Britain saying the Government would respect the Public vote, All he has done is proved Politicians are deceitful liers, with British tax payers money.

What else do you expect from a tory?

On 9/14/2019 at 4:08 AM, nauseus said:

He said "we will implement what you decide". Well he should have stayed there, accepted the consequences of his actions and got busy implementing. A complete wuss who needs to shut up now.  

Having lost, he did the honourable thing and resigned.

It was Johnson and Gove who were the wusses as they both stood down in the subsequent leadership contest.

It's fairly obvious why; they knew negotiating Brexit was a poisoned chalice and they wanted nothing to do with it. Instead they and their mate Rees-Mogg ensured that May failed to do as Cameron and then she had promised, so they could then appear to come riding to the rescue. 

Of course any deal Johnson negotiates will be virtually identical to May's, but because it's theirs all those who called May's deal BRINO will roll over and except Johnson's.

On 9/14/2019 at 4:35 AM, BobBKK said:

Cameron caused all this chaos by not setting a 5% majority needed. Then he ran away and now he's squealing. His arrogance caused all this.

Yes, should have been set at least 55% preferably 60% had it been binding... 

In many countries it is 2/3 to carry else, remains as is (status quo).

Well the LibDems have agreed by an overwhelming majority to Revoke Article 50 in preference to a second Referendum if they win the next general election.

Even I as a former paid up member can not see them actually winning the next GE out right, But it is correct to say 48% of those who at the referendum did not vote for Brexit, and the biggest petition ever where over 6 million people called for Article 50 to be revoked so we could well see the other 3 national parties fighting for the other 52% of the votes...  

Particularly if Labour continues hedge it bets by being noncommittal. 

The Liberal Democrats have pledged to cancel Brexit if they come to power at the next general election.

Members voted for the new policy at their party conference in Bournemouth by an overwhelming majority.

Previously, the party has backed another referendum or "People's Vote", saying they would campaign to Remain.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49706643

To be quiet honest i think this has been the biggest political sham in British politics the UK has ever seen .This has been a game from the start they never wanted to leave and we will not leave the EU there are people in power who are non elected and unaccountable who will just not let this happen.There is no democracy in the Uk just first passed the post as it always was and always will be.This is what you get when the people vote with proportional representation result leave!! no way we are not doing that how dare you i hear them say.What a joke !

Sent from my SM-J700F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, Basil B said:

Well the LibDems have agreed by an overwhelming majority to Revoke Article 50 in preference to a second Referendum if they win the next general election.

Even I as a former paid up member can not see them actually winning the next GE out right, But it is correct to say 48% of those who at the referendum did not vote for Brexit, and the biggest petition ever where over 6 million people called for Article 50 to be revoked so we could well see the other 3 national parties fighting for the other 52% of the votes...  

Particularly if Labour continues hedge it bets by being noncommittal. 

As a former paid up member of the Labour party, due to Corbyn going against the mood of his own MPs and the majority of his voters (65% of Labour voters, voted remain), if there were a GE tomorrow, I would vote Lib Dem, they're really growing on me. Several Tory MPs have defected to them (another yesterday) and I've no doubt a lot of moderate Tory voters will consider doing the same. The SNP are due to sweep the board in Scotland and would, no doubt, vote with the Lib Dems. Also a growing number of Labour MPs are supporting their idea of an outright revokation of Article 50.

Don't write them off, the momentum is with them and it's growing.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 2:21 PM, rooster59 said:

Former British prime minister David Cameron, who took the decision in 2016 to hold a referendum on the country's membership of the European Union, said another vote may be needed to resolve the Brexit impasse.

It's all his fault, and when it didn't come out the way he wanted he ran away, so he should shut his yapper.

Archived