fixing win 10 lag

brokenbone

im tired to death of this pos OS,

the endless animations & sneaky programs running

for no good reason makes this fukker constantly micro lag.

i also have zero interest in learning this <deleted> to do it myself,

so is there any program that shut down all the drivel

all by itself ?

OP, maybe describe what the problems are, what programs, what usage etc. Is it slow to load websites, slow to boot, slow to switch between applications etc.

Also the specs of your PC, you may benefit from some extra ram, HD is full, .

Once you open a program, the OS isnt doing much at all.

Interested to know what you mean by endless animations ?

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, maybe describe what the problems are, what programs, what usage etc. Is it slow to load websites, slow to boot, slow to switch between applications etc.

Also the specs of your PC, you may benefit from some extra ram, HD is full, .

Once you open a program, the OS isnt doing much at all.

Interested to know what you mean by endless animations ?

more specifically when i attempt to play eu4,

the micro lags means the game dont respond to my input instantly, thusly i click again and the program freezes,

and then i lose half a year worth of a campaign.

the laptop was spanky new 1 year ago,

with several times the hardware i had on

my previous flawless machine that had win xp sp 2

23 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

more specifically when i attempt to play eu4,

the micro lags means the game dont respond to my input instantly, thusly i click again and the program freezes,

and then i lose half a year worth of a campaign.

the laptop was spanky new 1 year ago,

with several times the hardware i had on

my previous flawless machine that had win xp sp 2

Thats not anything to do with windows OS. It appears that game has some minimum hardware requirements, 8GB Ram, 1 GB of dedicated video ram, NVIDIA GeForce 9600 or higher.

Your laptop would need to meet these requirements. Unless you have a laptop with dedicated GPU, onboard shared video may not be enough.

Possibly internet speed issues.

15 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Thats not anything to do with windows OS. It appears that game has some minimum hardware requirements, 8GB Ram, 1 GB of dedicated video ram, NVIDIA GeForce 9600 or higher.

Your laptop would need to meet these requirements. Unless you have a laptop with dedicated GPU, onboard shared video may not be enough.

Possibly internet speed issues.

its not just that, everything is lag,

i just opened a chrome page, but it didnt open,

so i kept opening it, and after a few minutes,

several chrome pages opened,

everything in this pos os happens after i wanted it.

its not snappy like win xp.

and yes, i do have a dedicated video card and latest cpu

on top of that, my previous 8 year ole laptop with the power of a modern watch

ran eu4 without the slightest lag,

but then again it also was running on win xp sp 2

also i play eu4 off line so it got nothing to do with internet

17 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

its not just that, everything is lag,

i just opened a chrome page, but it didnt open,

so i kept opening it, and after a few minutes,

several chrome pages opened,

everything in this pos os happens after i wanted it

Sounds like something is running in the background using CPU or Ram, Ctrl Alt Del to open task manager and see whats using resources. Shut down everything in start-up tab and see if things improve, turn off other than microsoft services etc. Turn things back on one by one.

5 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Sounds like something is running in the background using CPU or Ram, Ctrl Alt Del to open task manager and see whats using resources. Shut down everything in start-up tab and see if things improve, turn off other than microsoft services etc. Turn things back on one by one.

the only thing that shows up in task manager is firefox,

and now ooshutup.

i dont know how to shut down programs manually on win 10, i hate this os, and i dont know which programs can be safely shut down even if i could find them.

i wish there was at least a button to disable animations

13 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

the only thing that shows up in task manager is firefox,

and now ooshutup.

i dont know how to shut down programs manually on win 10, i hate this os, and i dont know which programs can be safely shut down even if i could find them

In task manager (click show more details) will show if something is using resources, percentage of cpu, ram etc currently being used. also tabs there to disable start-ups.

I still wouldn't be blaming windows as such, more looking for what is using all the system resources. windows doesn't just lag/freeze for no reason, that happens due to no resources or maybe even a hardware fault.

If you have a major freeze up/lag, try and correlate it with whats in error logs.

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

In task manager (click show more details) will show if something is using resources, percentage of cpu, ram etc currently being used. also tabs there to disable start-ups.

I still wouldn't be blaming windows as such, more looking for what is using all the system resources. windows doesn't just lag/freeze for no reason, that happens due to no resources or maybe even a hardware fault.

thanks man, finally.

i can see that firefox is standing out,

consuming 2 gb memory, and my memory usage is 92%. it also consume 30% cpu

and my total cpu usage is 50%

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

thanks man, finally.

i can see that firefox is standing out,

consuming 2 gb memory, and my memory usage is 92%

Excellent, not the first time I have heard of firefox doing that. 

With 92% ram being used, anything you ask the PC to do, it has to try and do it in 8% of your ram, taking stuff on and off the hardrive. Of course it will struggle.

Delete firefox and it will probably run like a rocket ship.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Excellent, not the first time I have heard of firefox doing that. 

With 92% ram being used, anything you ask the PC to do, it has to try and do it in 8% of your ram, taking stuff on and off the hardrive. Of course it will struggle.

Delete firefox and it will probably run like a rocket ship.

now that i only keep this single page open,

it alone still consume 770 mb memory, this is warped. well now 680 mb, but still

defy logic

3 minutes ago, brokenbone said:

now that i only keep this single page open,

it alone still consume 770 mb memory, this is warped. well now 680 mb, but still

defy logic

Do you have an plugins installed for Firefox?

What's using the other 20% of CPU? 

You need to calm down, otherwise you are going to make yourself ill. 

You haven't told anything about the laptop itself. Nothing at all.

Once you've set up the laptop properly in the first place and then maintain it, it will be easier to diagnose any issues. I don't have any and I'm using a ten year old laptop.

We don't know if you are trying to drive a Citroen 2CV up a mountain. You need to start with the basics. If you don't have the patience for it, then no one can help you.

30 minutes ago, JamJar said:

If you don't have the patience for it, then no one can help you.

Full of good intentions people here, with precious advices, but if it appears to be too complicated to you, and/or don't want to do any effort, thanks everyone, and bring your device to a repair shop.

Be aware however that some here, won't appreciate your decision at all. 

6 minutes ago, luckyluke said:

Full of good intentions people here, with precious advices, but if it appears to be too complicated to you, and/or don't want to do any effort, thanks everyone, and bring your device to a repair shop.

Be aware however that some here, won't appreciate your decision at all. 

The problem with taking it to a 'repair shop', is that when there is another problem, neither we nor the protagonist is any the wiser.

If they do it here, we know that the operating system installed is clean, we know the specification of the device etc So we have an overview of the situation, understand the kind of performance they should be experiencing and can compare that to what he is actually experiencing. Then we fix the problem together.

Now he has a bit more knowledge if it happens again and we have a history stored here.

If he takes it to a shop and he has a problem, his choice is to take it back to the shop. Since we will be back exactly we we started. With no one knowing anything.

Maybe it's just a <deleted> laptop. We have no information about it. So if someone chooses to stay ignorant,(utilised a nicer word than I wanted to use) that is their prerogative.

JFI. A couple of my friends have had the same or similar problems recently and both have low end laptops.

I suggested checking for the latest windows updates and ……. yep! 

After manually downloading the latest versions they now have rocket <deleted> ship laptops compared to the previous!

Just an idea. 

Just now, JamJar said:

that is their prerogative

Freedom of choice, one explain his problems, good people here are ready to help.

After that it is up to the one who asked for help to decide to go on with it, or not.

Each of us in particular will give his own comment on this personal decision.

I am only here for couragement. Microsoft sux. No doubt about it, I switched to linux for a couple of years and it was heaven. Unfortunately there were a couple of programs I  I needed that were only on Windows. Now microsoft is very clever in that you have to clean install windows ...and cant set it up to dual boot with linux unless its already a windows machine....so I had to wipe it to install....now I have been running windows about  8 months and hate it, in a couple of days I am going back to linux, it is possible to set up a machine that is already windows to dual boot with linux . That will be my solution. You can easily download and install linux as dual boot. When I need to use those strange programs I have that I need windows for, I will boot into windows...otherwise I will stay in Linux where things run fast and smooth. I think I have had enough of the bastardized mess called Windows. Linux is like heaven in comparison. 

Yeah, my FF usually hovers in the 600 range without much load on it.   image.png.b3e1031dc03d9425bc0463ac3173d4e1.png

Apart from hardware, seems like you've nailed down a likely suspect. 

As an aside, tweaking some settings and shutting certain functions off in a new Win10 install is one of the first things I do.  Usually watch this vid, or one like it, to refresh my memory.  If this is way under your 'puter knowledge and capabilities, disregard, no sweat.

8 minutes ago, 55Jay said:

Yeah, my FF usually hovers in the 600 range without much load on it.   image.png.b3e1031dc03d9425bc0463ac3173d4e1.png

Apart from hardware, seems like you've nailed down a likely suspect. 

As an aside, tweaking some settings and shutting certain functions off in a new Win10 install is one of the first things I do.  Usually watch this vid, or one like it, to refresh my memory.  If this is way under your 'puter knowledge and capabilities, disregard, no sweat.

back in win 98, i was actually really good at both soft & hardware, but i have long since lost interest,

i cant muster the interest to learn win 10,

even basics, same goes for phones these days

the specs, i had a hard time finding it on win 10

acer aspire a515-51g  i5 1.6 ghz 4 gb ram

Just now, 55Jay said:

Ah, ok.  Back on post #10, Peterw42 hit the recommended gear to run that game you're playing.  Looks like you're a bit light on the laptop specs, and if you've got anything else running in the BG while in game-play, performance is going to suffer.  @Peterw42

yes, i used to have various firefox pages open,

i had no idea browsers can be that consuming,

this has got to be a somewhat new phenomena

Archived