fixing win 10 lag

brokenbone

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

yes, i used to have various firefox pages open,

i had no idea browsers can be that consuming,

this has got to be a somewhat new phenomena

Yup.  Shut down as much as you can to free up resources, and the game ought to run more smoothly.  Keep the laptop cool as you can as well, especially while you're putting heavier load on the vid card.

And if you're not using Cortana in Win10, disable that krap in the registry - takes a few steps, how to vids all over Youtube. 

Heading out the door, good luck. ////

2 hours ago, brokenbone said:

back in win 98, i was actually really good at both soft & hardware, but i have long since lost interest,

i cant muster the interest to learn win 10,

even basics, same goes for phones these days

the specs, i had a hard time finding it on win 10

acer aspire a515-51g  i5 1.6 ghz 4 gb ram

Slightly confused as to the spec, as it states 8GB of RAM; https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.GS3EK.001

Do you have a model number on the underside, like the NX.GS3EK.001 of the one above

How much space is left on the C drive?

9 minutes ago, JamJar said:

Slightly confused as to the spec, as it states 8GB of RAM; https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NX.GS3EK.001

Do you have a model number on the underside, like the NX.GS3EK.001 of the one above

OP, it might be a good idea to do a cleanup on drive C. 

I could free up 10 GB of older installations and junk files on one PC. 

Easy as pie, right click when on drive C ( My computer) then Properties and Disc Cleanup. 

1 hour ago, JamJar said:

you might be onto something, im fairly sure i would have reacted negatively if the seller had stated straight up its 4 gb ram. i got 730 gb free on c.

i cant see any number resembling that under the puter.

it also aint dual core, its quad core

1 hour ago, brokenbone said:

you might be onto something, im fairly sure i would have reacted negatively if the seller had stated straight up its 4 gb ram. i got 730 gb free on c.

i cant see any number resembling that under the puter.

it also aint dual core, its quad core

Still none the wiser. Do you have an SSD installed at all? That model usually has an 128GB/256GB SSD as a Boot drive and a supplementary HDD for storage.

So the fact that you state that you have 730GB free means either someone installed a 1TB SSD or has installed the OS to the slow HDD.

So if no SSD, that would be the first thing that I would change. HDD and Windows 10 is not a good combination. Feature Updates will take an age. When they eventually install, you should know which settings to choose otherwise you can have all sorts of things running that you don't want,

So my recommendation would be to install to an SSD. Then all of your problems should go away. No lag. Start up times of under half a minute. Shut down times of half that of less.

If you right click on the C drive and choose Properties > Hardware, you should get some info on the drives installed.

4 hours ago, JamJar said:

Still none the wiser. Do you have an SSD installed at all? That model usually has an 128GB/256GB SSD as a Boot drive and a supplementary HDD for storage.

So the fact that you state that you have 730GB free means either someone installed a 1TB SSD or has installed the OS to the slow HDD.

So if no SSD, that would be the first thing that I would change. HDD and Windows 10 is not a good combination. Feature Updates will take an age. When they eventually install, you should know which settings to choose otherwise you can have all sorts of things running that you don't want,

So my recommendation would be to install to an SSD. Then all of your problems should go away. No lag. Start up times of under half a minute. Shut down times of half that of less.

If you right click on the C drive and choose Properties > Hardware, you should get some info on the drives installed.

no ssd

2 hours ago, brokenbone said:

no ssd

I don't know where you are located, but you need an M.2 SSD

An official ACER service centre should fit it for you at a cost of around 428 baht inclusive of VAT.

At least that is what they charge when I went to their Chonburi location.

You can read more here; https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/537125/install-m2-ssd-on-aspire-5-a515-51g

kha3opnzvksd.jpg

Almost 20x the speed of your current hard drive.

https://www.invadeit.co.th/product/solid-state-drives-ssd/adata/256gb-xpg-sx8200-pro-pcie-gen3x4-m-2-2280-ssd-asx8200pnp-256gt-c-p041443/ should do the trick.

If you wish, you can clone the contents of the HDD to the NVMe SSD, though I think installing Windows 10 afresh to the new drive will be best.

The old HDD can stay within and be used as secondary storage. So a very fast drive for everyday use with the HDD used to store your larger files; movies, back-ups etc. A 256 GB PCIe SSD + 1 TB HDD configuration. 

For even faster performance, you also can swap the 1 TB HDD for a 2.5" SATA SSD. So both drives will be solid state. Faster and more robust. You can move the laptop around whilst in use, without worrying about jogging or damaging the drive, as you would with an HDD.

You'll be very happy with the performance once the new NVMe drive is fitted. 

The only reason that I mention cloning, is that it is something a tech can do for you. So you don't have to stress yourself out having to learn nor do anything. 

The only issue with that, is if you have any malware running that is also contributing to your slowdown, it will simply be cloned over to the new drive. 

In short, the OS isn't a piece of ****, it's your hard drive. They should not be fitted to modern laptops. but people are still buying laptops because they see large capacity storage numbers like 1 TB. Here, size doesn't matter. It's speed that counts. Ditch the HDD or use it as secondary storage exclusively.

You can go through the Settings to disable some of the annoying aspects of Windows 10. One of the benefits of installing the OS yourself is that you can choose decline these options during the install.

The animations are possibly banner Ads from webpages and nothing to do with the OS.

They use up your resources and annoy you in the bargain. Use a Browser that automagically cleans up those webpages for you.

Archived