How much to make a will valid in Thailand?

nglodnig

7 hours ago, Jaxxper said:

Definitely need a will for each place you have assets. My U.K. will is currently being drafted using an on line company. Total cost was less than £100.

7 hours ago, Bredbury Blue said:

Any chance you could post their website url? Thanks.

UK Wills can be done online for as little as £25....https://www.legalwills.co.uk/

5 minutes ago, ThePioneer said:

No they are not

The most common last will and testament in Thailand is a last will in writing, dated at the time of making and signed by the testator in the presence of at least 2 witnesses who sign their names to certify the signature of the testator (section 1656 of the Civil and Commercial Code). It is not required that such a will is notarized or registered for it to be a valid legal will.

https://www.samuiforsale.com/family-law/forms-of-wills-under-thai-law.html

Correct, but if you lodge it with your local court, the will can not be contested. All in Thai, of course.

I know a competent lawyer who will create a valid will here in BKK, for 10,000 baht. Do not listen to the greedy ninnies who are asking for stupid money. If interested PM me for her contact info. She is good, and speaks great english. She can also handle business related stuff. And she does not engage in "stupid" pricing. 

I downloaded a template of the Thai will format. Completed it in english and then had it translated to Thai. Cost me 2700 baht. Signed both copies ( english & Thai ) in front of 2 witnesses, who then signed and then had our village head sign and stamp both wills. No other costs involved for me.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 4:33 AM, nglodnig said:

What have other people paid for this? 

0 bath.

You can for example write a will yourself – even in your native language will be valid, but need to be translated to Thai when executed – and sign it in presence of two witnesses. You can also sign it at the amphor, bringing witnesses to there, and have it stamped by the amphor or a notary, and you can even have it filed by the amphor (I don't know if they charge a minor fee).

You can find useful information about a last will in Thailand in the book "Thai Law for Foreigners" available form most bookshops selling English language books, or available by online shopping.

????

• Like 2

On 9/14/2019 at 11:59 AM, Conno said:

Just in the process of sorting one out .....been advised best to have two drawn up. One for your non-Thai assets and one for Thai based assets. 5000 baht each. 

i paid the same.

more to the point i am more worried that things will not get carried out the way i would like when im gone. how does one know which lawyers can be trusted in Thailand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I know a competent lawyer who will create a valid will here in BKK, for 10,000 baht. Do not listen to the greedy ninnies who are asking for stupid money. If interested PM me for her contact info. She is good, and speaks great english. She can also handle business related stuff. And she does not engage in "stupid" pricing. 

10,000 sound twice as much as it should be.

10 hours ago, suzannegoh said:

No, but it's a good idea to give your executor as many details as possible about what assets you have otherwise he might fail to find all of your accounts after you die.

So , do you think, without details you can do a legal Testament? ????????????

13 minutes ago, ujayujay said:

So , do you think, without details you can do a legal Testament? ????????????

Yes, you can stipulate in the will that your beneficiary gets all of your assets in Thailand without itemizing those assets. But you should consult a lawyer about that.

• Like 1

For a legal Testament you have to pay minimum 10000THB. What I see here in the Forum are imaginative guessing but no realistic informations. A Certification from a notary includes to translate a Testimony from english to Thai. A Testimony have to include the final will of the author, the name of the beneficiary, dates of birth and nationality, addresses of both and bank details of the author. Off course certification of both Passport/ ID.

Without this from a recognized notary certified document every testament is invalid!

3 hours ago, ujayujay said:

For a legal Testament you have to pay minimum 10000THB. What I see here in the Forum are imaginative guessing but no realistic informations. A Certification from a notary includes to translate a Testimony from english to Thai. A Testimony have to include the final will of the author, the name of the beneficiary, dates of birth and nationality, addresses of both and bank details of the author. Off course certification of both Passport/ ID.

Without this from a recognized notary certified document every testament is invalid!

Can you please give a legal link-reference to "Without this from a recognized notary certified document every testament is invalid", as this is not what the two Thai lawyers wrote in the book Thai Law for Foreigners...

Foreigners should definitely have a written will. It can be a simple document written in either Thai or your native language or both.

The Thai lawyers mention legal wills as:

• A Handwritten will
  • A civil documented will
  • A secret will
  • An oral will (special case)

On 9/14/2019 at 9:33 AM, nglodnig said:

I sent off an enquiry to a law firm here in Chiang Mai to get them made legal here

It sounds like you are asking them to do a complete translation into Thai word for word and that is probably where the cost is and why it is so much more expensive than getting a new will with an existing translation... I assume what you want is a valid will, not necessarily a complete translation and acceptance of an existing will...