Flooding in Ubon Ratchathani the worst in 17 years

rooster59

Flooding in Ubon Ratchathani the worst in 17 years

flood.jpg

The current flooding in Thailand’s northeastern province of Ubon Ratchathani is the worst for 17 years, with the level of the Moon River measured at 10.97 meters, at the M7 measurement station at 8am today (Friday), higher than the record set in 2002.

Ubon Ratchathani governor Sarit Vithoon, however, said that the high river level was not as serious as the widespread flooding, which has left several communities in low-lying areas as islets surrounded by water.

Government offices in the municipal area were spared the flooding today but the road to the provincial airport is still underwater.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/flooding-in-ubon-ratchathani-the-worst-in-17-years/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2019-09-14

could have at least used a real photo! 

they'd tried to use the outer rim of a shiny tin roof, to depict high water - but forgot the visual effect is eliminated by the dry trees behind (the camera perspective is angled slightly downwards, and water supposed to be generally flat'n'level) the 2D displacement of buildings too, that don't stop the water edge in a straight line throughout 

fake photo.jpg

5 minutes ago, tifino said:

they'd tried to use the outer rim of a shiny tin roof, to depict high water - but forgot the visual effect is eliminated by the dry trees behind (the camera perspective is angled slightly downwards, and water supposed to be generally flat'n'level) the 2D displacement of buildings too, that don't stop the water edge in a straight line throughout

Who told you water is generally flat?

5 hours ago, tifino said:

fake photo.jpg

While flooding is a terrible thing for those directly affected, it is a natural event, which happens often. And in this case, with much of the nation under drought conditions, it is a good thing. Some localized flooding. And some damage. But not a national tragedy on any level. Rain is a good thing. We needed alot of rain, and we got it. 

How are you going Trans-how is the lake holding up?

The water has stopped about half a meter below my top floor and balcony.

That's about 7 meters above my yard.

Everyone has gone except my valiant stepson who is still there without power and water and still looking after the dogs.

Brave lad.

IMG_8476.jpg

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

While flooding is a terrible thing for those directly affected, it is a natural event, which happens often. And in this case, with much of the nation under drought conditions, it is a good thing. Some localized flooding. And some damage. But not a national tragedy on any level. Rain is a good thing. We needed alot of rain, and we got it. 

IMG_8438.jpg

16 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Everyone has gone except my valiant stepson who is still there without power and water and still looking after the dogs.

Brave lad.

IMG_8476.jpg

Wow, this being the 2nd floor - that's terrible!  Hope the damage is repairable once the water goes away.

31 minutes ago, transam said:

thanks... they had sooo much opportunity, an sourced material, to show it how it really is ???? 

Material gets out, via the private sector, because at the top; the big man was calling fake news on the warnings...

34 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Tragic enough for the more than 20 people who died!

40 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Brave lad.

IMG_8476.jpg

Am OK matey, thankfully no rain and blistering hot sun. Water level has only dropped a couple of inches though, anyone near a river is in big trouble. There is nowhere for the water to go, only up and outwards. The water is still at my gates..The other end of the lake they recently built a dam so folk beyond don't get flooded this time of year, they still got flooded as well as many lakeside..

55 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

We got it alright Mike Over 30 inches in a week But water is the giver of life so no complaints

38 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Wow, this being the 2nd floor - that's terrible!  Hope the damage is repairable once the water goes away.

Hope everyone is ok .cats dogs .cattle etc and ovcorce people .this must be the worse feeling for anyone .and the amount off water is going to take ages to drain away .stay safe everyone 

The authorities here failed miserably to remove the fast growing tall weed off the lake, for about 2/3 years now. The only time they act is when stuff breaks away and floats down to the posh end. That weed is now at my gates and covering the road outside, so even if the water drops we can't move.

About a hundred yards up the road is a motel, no one can get near it because of the weed....Crazy....

PS. the two house to my left, the owners have moved out until it's safe again...

14 minutes ago, transam said:

The authorities here failed miserably to remove the fast growing tall weed off the lake, for about 2/3 years now. The only time they act is when stuff breaks away and floats down to the posh end. That weed is now at my gates and covering the road outside, so even if the water drops we can't move.

About a hundred yards up the road is a motel, no one can get near it because of the weed....Crazy....

PS. the two house to my left, the owners have moved out until it's safe again...

Yes,it is a <deleted>..

Plus rampant development with scant regard to the flood plain.

DSCN0167.JPG

4 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The perfect time to put those brand new " Stryker " APC,s to work,and actually help these folk.

When they decide to have a go at the weed they bring in big long arm diggers and small boats to assist. But sadly more important for that days work is to set up food tents, loud speakers, so they can waffle. Nothing happens till the waffle ends. A zillion dignatories arrive and leave when the waffle stops. Then work starts for about 2 hours. Lunch, then another 2 hours and finish. Total waste of time and money..To think if all the nonsense was done away with and folk did an 8 hour day they could have put a dent in it...

Archived