Where to buy coffee in Koh Samui

Hello all my unknown friends expats like me in Koh Samui, thanks to you I found helpfull answers in seven years (the time passes quickly)

Answers which sometimes  improve our daily life and for which I still thank the authors.

Does anyone know of a place to find a coffee selection for an espresso machine, because it's neither Tesco nor BigC, for now I buy coffee only on Lazada.
In case it would interest someone I am very satisfied with the espresso machine that I bought at Hommepro one year ago...and it is not an Italian LOL.

Thanks in advance and have a good day everyone????

IMG_3201.jpeg

Huge selection of coffee- and espresso machines in Home Pro (Tesco-Lotus Center, Bo Phut), at the moment campaign just inside the main Home Pro entrance, anything from a few thousand baht and way up to sky high...????

Normal coffee machines (filter) can be bought in both BigC and Tesco Lotus, even small ones for a few hundred baht only (and they actually works Okay). They also sell paper filters (some machines are delivered with a filter tray, which can be used instead of a paper filter).

Coffee you can buy in a variety of selections in BicC, and some selection also in Tesco-Lotus, and some in Makro (mainly BonCafé both beans and ground, I use to buy BonCafé espresso here, about 115 baht for 250 gram, but only 5-10 baht less than BigC and Tesco-Lotus).

Bon Café also have a brand name shop almost opposite the entrance to The Wharf in Bo Phut.

????

2 hours ago, khunPer said:

Huge selection of coffee- and espresso machines in Home Pro (Tesco-Lotus Center, Bo Phut), at the moment campaign just inside the main Home Pro entrance, anything from a few thousand baht and way up to sky high...????

Normal coffee machines (filter) can be bought in both BigC and Tesco Lotus, even small ones for a few hundred baht only (and they actually works Okay). They also sell paper filters (some machines are delivered with a filter tray, which can be used instead of a paper filter).

Coffee you can buy in a variety of selections in BicC, and some selection also in Tesco-Lotus, and some in Makro (mainly BonCafé both beans and ground, I use to buy BonCafé espresso here, about 115 baht for 250 gram, but only 5-10 baht less than BigC and Tesco-Lotus).

Bon Café also have a brand name shop almost opposite the entrance to The Wharf in Bo Phut.

This coffee machine on the picture, I bought it in Homepro ????

I will try the beans Boncafé in Macro, I do not know why I never tryed ? Not knowing this brand at all it was kind  of a lack of confidence.

I will also try the Bon café shop in Bo Phut maybe they have more choice?  In Tesco lamai for instance many types of coffe beans are missing most of the time, I guess not so many Thai people drink expresso at home, as for the tourist its sure.

I think it is not necessary to answer to everyone but thank you  for your answers gentlemen,  I noted everything, ????

Go to Starbucks; they have excellent coffee. But, I am not sure about prices in Thailand...

Okay, lay it on me;

'it is too corporate'.

'It is too American'.

'It is not personal enough'.

'It is too loud'.

'It is too Trump-like'.

'I only like Mom and Pop coffee shops'.

'I only like European coffee'.

'it tastes like big business'

'Only Americans go there'.

'The colour is wrong'.

'It reminds me of George Bush'

'I hate factory coffee shops'.

'I am too good for the people who go to there'.

'It is too corporate'.

'I don't like the wallpaper'.

'It is too American'.

Again, go to Starbucks; they have excellent coffee.

BTW, I am Canadian, so if anyone shouldn't like Starbucks for no good reason, it is me!

5 hours ago, Tayaout said:

Try this: https://s.lazada.co.th/s.ZjIlQ

Got my order in 3 days. 

They have a wide selection: https://s.lazada.co.th/s.ZjpS1

I see you already buy on lazada. In my case the nearest supermarket is 1.5h drive. But I'm not on Samui. 

OK I click the link right now⌨️ 

1 minute ago, Samui Bodoh said:

Go to Starbucks; they have excellent coffee. But, I am not sure about prices in Thailand...

Okay, lay it on me;

'it is too corporate'.

'It is too American'.

'It is not personal enough'.

'It is too loud'.

'It is too Trump-like'.

'I only like Mom and Pop coffee shops'.

'I only like European coffee'.

'it tastes like big business'

'Only Americans go there'.

'The colour is wrong'.

'It reminds me of George Bush'

'I hate factory coffee shops'.

'I am too good for the people who go to there'.

'It is too corporate'.

'I don't like the wallpaper'.

'It is too American'.

Again, go to Starbucks; they have excellent coffee.

BTW, I am Canadian, so if anyone shouldn't like Starbucks for no good reason, it is me!

They sell coffee beans? 

1 hour ago, hoxman said:

I buy my coffee from Red Cliff Coffee, fast shipment, great roasts and is delicous.

https://www.redcliffcoffee.com/

I just click the link, how do "you" pay for them?

I decided not to use anymore my credit cards online in Thailand, I do not have a PayPal account in Thailand. 

22 minutes ago, Tchooptip said:

I just click the link, how do "you" pay for them?

I decided not to use anymore my credit cards online in Thailand, I do not have a PayPal account in Thailand. 

You can select pay at delivery when you checkout your Lazada order.

If your looking at lazada, you may as well look at shopee.co.th as well (Phone app has English) They are usually cheaper than lazada and also do COD. (Just noticed they sell Starbucks Espresso on there.)

BTW. Nobody has mentioned Sampet in Nathon. They do a variety of coffee.

On 9/14/2019 at 11:06 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

Go to Starbucks; they have excellent coffee

You are joking I presume. ????

I tried it once could not finnish the cup, they have the stomach to call that <deleted> coffee. 

Here is a list of coffee consumption per capita. 

Finland
12.0 kg
 Norway
9.9 kg
 Iceland
9.0 kg (2006 data)
 Denmark
8.7 kg
 Netherlands
8.4 kg
 Sweden
8.2 kg

I can recommend this one. 

product2386_1_900x1080.jpg

3 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

I tried it once could not finnish the cup, they have the stomach to call that <deleted> coffee. 

Finland
12.0 kg
 Norway
9.9 kg
 Iceland
9.0 kg (2006 data)
 Denmark
8.7 kg
 Netherlands
8.4 kg
 Sweden
8.2 kg

Since I am a coffee maniac ????while being grateful for your recommendation I do not see myself following it, the personal grinding of the coffee being an important step of the protocol it is out of the question that I avoid it. ????

I ask the moderator the authorization to be off topic, (thank you in advance PoorSucker????)

I have always had the impression that the members of the Koh Samui Forum are more friendly ???? than many others

I do not know why I have this impression ?????

Maybe because its the case ????LOl

7 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

Finland
12.0 kg
 Norway
9.9 kg
 Iceland
9.0 kg (2006 data)
 Denmark
8.7 kg
 Netherlands
8.4 kg
 Sweden
8.2 kg

Hi Poor Sucker

No, not joking at all. Let the great coffee debate continue! :cheesy::cheesy:

I didn't know that Scandinavians drank that much coffee (I learn something new everyday), but respectfully, quantity does not make Scandinavians the world's best judges. It has been my experience that the French think that that the French are the best judges, the Italians think the Italians are best, the Turks think that the Turkish people are best (I have a Turkish sister-in-law, and if you told her that Scandinavians are better judges of coffee than Turks, she'd physically attack you????), various middle eastern countries think that various middle eastern countries are best, the Colombians think that Colombians are best, the Brazilians think that the Brazilians are best, Guatemalans think that Guatemalans are best, Canadians think that Canadians are best, Americans think that Americans are best, etc. Here in Asia, it has been my experience that the Vietnamese think that the Vietnamese are the best judges, while the Indonesians think that Indonesians are best. My personal take on this is to follow the lead of coffee producing countries/cultures, which sadly leaves both Canadians and Scandinavians out in the cold.

It is unfortunate that you had a bad experience at Starbucks, but I would say 'try, try, try again'. Respectfully, one visit can't give you a proper read on it; imagine if I said that I had tried Pad Thai in Canada, and since it was no good, all Thai food was no good. ???? Perhaps on your visit you did not order the right coffee for you? I am not sure about the Starbucks outlets here on the island, but when I am back in Canada I order Sumatran coffee, dark roast, and I love it! Nectar of the Gods! Perhaps if you try a few different blends, you'll find something that you like.

The simple fact is that Starbucks has coffee shops across North America, Europe and Asia (perhaps other continents as well, I do not know) and they sell premium coffee to millions and millions of people everyday. And, if they are able to sell premium (by that I mean expensive!) coffee to millions and millions of people across three continents on a daily basis, then it is because it is good coffee.

Finally, I posted my post above because too often I have heard people say that they don't like Starbucks/Starbucks coffee, and what they have really meant was that they don't like Americans/American culture (Poor Sucker, I do NOT think that of you; you are clearly a serious coffee lover!). Honestly, this has become a 'pet peeve' of mine, as I think not liking Starbucks/Starbucks coffee simply because it is American is as dumb as a bag of hammers.

I respectfully suggest that you give Starbucks another chance or two and see if they have something you like; I have always found it to be great coffee and millions of people (literally!) agree with me. Who knows? Perhaps you will make it a million and one...

Cheers

PS Thanks for the recommendation of Moccona Blue Mountain. I'll try it one of these days, and if it comes in beans, then perhaps @Tchooptip will as well.

12 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The simple fact is that Starbucks has coffee shops across North America, Europe and Asia (perhaps other continents as well, I do not know) and they sell premium coffee to millions and millions of people everyday. And, if they are able to sell premium (by that I mean expensive!) coffee to millions and millions of people across three continents on a daily basis, then it is because it is good coffee.

Thai chain Black Canyon – "A Taste from Paradise…available on Earth" – is not bad either, perhaps even more value for money than Starbucks...????

By the way, we Danes are of course the best in judging coffee taste, but we do respect other's judgement as well, like agent Cooper's »A damn fine cup of coffee«...????

14 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The simple fact is that Starbucks has coffee shops across North America, Europe and Asia (perhaps other continents as well, I do not know)

Starbucks has 29,324 stores globally in 2018. 

69 in the Nordic countries, the biggest consumers per capita in the world. 

Guess the foreigners must have coffee also. 

When I went to collage in the US I had one good cup of coffee. 

It was in the Norwegian pavilion at Epcot center, Florida. 

On 9/16/2019 at 12:32 AM, khunPer said:

There is also the possibility of finding some genuine Thai coffee brands from local grown beans, some seem to be rated as quite high quality...????

1409_1000.jpg

Little more information here, Your Quick Guide to Coffee in Thailand

Wikipedia also has a short article, Coffee production in Thailand

????

I bought many pure Arabica Thai coffee, they are most of the time "honest" but most of them lack aroma the nose right on the cup one does not smell much. not to say anything!

On 9/16/2019 at 5:47 PM, PoorSucker said:

Starbucks has 29,324 stores globally in 2018. ????

69 in the Nordic countries, the biggest consumers per capita in the world. 

Guess the foreigners must have coffee also. 

When I went to collage in the US I had one good cup of coffee. 

It was in the Norwegian pavilion at Epcot center, Florida. 

To be good it had to be really very good at remembering it ten twenty thirty forty years ???? some years later ????

On 9/16/2019 at 12:21 AM, Tchooptip said:

I ask the moderator the authorization to be off topic, (thank you in advance PoorSucker????)

I have always had the impression that the members of the Koh Samui Forum are more friendly ???? than many others

I do not know why I have this impression ?????

Maybe because its the case ????LOl

I would fully agree with you on this. 

I am just shocked that as of now no "outsider" who visited the island many years ago showed up to tell us that all coffee drunk in Samui was terrible and that he would never return back to this awful island...????

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello all, 

First timer here! My partner and I are staying in Koh Samui for 1-2 months and as coffee addicts, instant is just not cutting it ???? Could anybody suggest where we can buy a Cafetiere/french press on the island? We've had a look in Big C and Tesco but had no luck. Also, probably a long shot, but is there anywhere that sells a ground decaffe? Something like Taylors Decafe in the UK would be perfect!

Thank you in advance

Hayley 

12 hours ago, HaleBale said:

Hello all, 

First timer here! My partner and I are staying in Koh Samui for 1-2 months and as coffee addicts, instant is just not cutting it ???? Could anybody suggest where we can buy a Cafetiere/french press on the island? We've had a look in Big C and Tesco but had no luck. Also, probably a long shot, but is there anywhere that sells a ground decaffe? Something like Taylors Decafe in the UK would be perfect!

There used to be a stall near the tills at Big C that sold coffee and relevant stuff including coffee presses. Not sure if it is still there. It was outside of Big C near the bank - not in the shop itself.

Boncafe on the ring road near Fisherman's village also used to sell them as did the Italian food/coffee supplier near the traffic lights at the village (Italasia).

https://www.facebook.com/Italasia-Koh-Samui-575476402602422/

Then there is always your friendly on line shop at Lazada. Lots of coffee presses there. Buy from a Thai supplier and delivery is just a few days. (I have bought a press from there in the past.)

https://www.lazada.co.th/catalog/?spm=a2o4m.home.search.1.1125719c7a6bJP&q=coffee%20press&_keyori=ss&clickTrackInfo=textId--8279256549587604453__abId--135803__pvid--d568a58d-6979-4f91-8893-12a7a56e3966&from=suggest_normal&sugg=coffee%20press_0_1

I am not sure where you are on the island, but I have a back up coffee press that you could borrow if you are still stuck. (I prefer the drip method.) I am at the pointy end of the island (NE) near Six Senses. Send me a PM if interested.

17 hours ago, HaleBale said:

Could anybody suggest where we can buy a Cafetiere/french press on the island?

Presume you think of this type:

f39771bc4500c76ed27341cde194a093.jpg

They use to have numerous models of the affordable/cheaper kind on sale in Tesco. Not sure if BigC has them, but you should probably both look in the department selling kitchen equipment, and in the department selling electric stuff for kitchen.

I've also seen them in Makro, including the Danish Bodum high-end brand (imaged, I brought my own original Bodum with me from Denmark).

There are also numerous affordable filter coffee machines available, prices from a few hundred baht, and they actually works well.

????

8 hours ago, khunPer said:

Presume you think of this type:

f39771bc4500c76ed27341cde194a093.jpg

They use to have numerous models of the affordable/cheaper kind on sale in Tesco. Not sure if BigC has them, but you should probably both look in the department selling kitchen equipment, and in the department selling electric stuff for kitchen.

I've also seen them in Makro, including the Danish Bodum high-end brand (imaged, I brought my own original Bodum with me from Denmark).

There are also numerous affordable filter coffee machines available, prices from a few hundred baht, and they actually works well.

????

Word of warning if using these cheaper presses. The glass is much thinner and can easily crack when hit with boiled (not boiling) water. If you put a dinner spoon in the cafetiere before pouring in the water, simple thermodynamics will take care of the rest.

If you buy a Bodum of course, there's no need to take this precaution as they have thicker, oven-treated glass.

Meanwhile, back on coffee beans, check if you local Makro has 'Phu' brand arabica beans. They have shown up recently in Makro Udon Thani in regular and espresso and I can vouch for the quality, strength and flavor of the former. For the moment, they have supplanted Nayung 'Extra' beans (from the borders of Udon and Loei) as my favorite brew.

I have found all of Boncafe's local offerings rather bland but funnily enough, while working offshore Vietnam, we had 500 gram bags of Boncafe beans that came from Singapore and it was totally different from their Thailand retail offerings with a much richer flavor.

Again, working on Norwegian crewed vessels, the Norwegian stuff is excellent, just can't recall the brand off hand and may have been Swedish? Came in a red bag anyway. I also enjoyed Kronung which is a German coffee brand.

I've spent a lot of time in Vietnam but most of their stuff doesn't impress me but last year I was given some Là Việt beans and they are really, really good.

Archived