Suspect pretended to be police colonel to sell positions in the force for 300,000 baht

rooster59

I wonder what the economics/cash flow looks like for paid positions, I mean the 'real ones' not the fake ones?

Candidates must have to borrow the lump-sum payment from a, shall we say, loan-shark, and then pay that back what, twice a month? Can't believe the salary is enough to cover the P & I? Or are positions sold by senior insiders, and then juniors simply pay them back? A bit like a pyramid-scheme I guess?

7 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

I wonder what the economics/cash flow looks like for paid positions, I mean the 'real ones' not the fake ones?

Candidates must have to borrow the lump-sum payment from a, shall we say, loan-shark, and then pay that back what, twice a month? Can't believe the salary is enough to cover the P & I? Or are positions sold by senior insiders, and then juniors simply pay them back? A bit like a pyramid-scheme I guess?

Borrow the money,  get a good rank,  arrest and jail loan shark All good,  job done. 

I have been told by well informed sources that this is a common occurrence. In customs, and the police, promotions are paid for. Possibly with immigration too. Some cost as much as a million baht or more. It makes sense, especially with regards to the police, who are not law enforcement, but rather franchisees. It is considered a family "investment".

When he was caught in 2008 what happened? Was he moved to inactive post? But 10 years later got active again?

and what was his actual rank?

is it possible he collected but did not forward the money and this is why he is in hot waters again ?

On 9/14/2019 at 2:28 PM, monkfish said:

Arrested for pretending to be a cop or selling positions?
Selling positions I understand is standard practice in the Civil Service.

only real colonels can sell positions.  suspect was fraudulently diverting funds that should have been paid to real cops.

On 9/14/2019 at 7:12 AM, NCC1701A said:

why would anyone believe you can buy a position in the Thai police force?

Why not? I just saw a movie filmed by hidden camera of a guy buying a greencard in Los Angeles for 150 us$......takes 1.5 hours...just on the street.

I can send you the link of the youtube if you like.

8 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I have been told by well informed sources that this is a common occurrence. In customs, and the police, promotions are paid for. Possibly with immigration too. Some cost as much as a million baht or more. It makes sense, especially with regards to the police, who are not law enforcement, but rather franchisees. It is considered a family "investment".

And it's even more vicious than that: what'd you think of an officer with a spotless career, several qualifications, straight as an 'I', ending, several times, quite high on the promotion list, way above the 'cut' of vacant positions, what should have got him the higher rank any time, ...but didn't. Got demotivated, didn't participate for one year, and got the 'friendly advise' to pay for it... Against his principles(!) in the next round he simply paid the sum asked, with family money, ...and was promoted! Ergo: as good as you might be, you won't get the promotion without paying for it!

(Considering the small difference in wages from one rank to the next one above, the reason for most to want a promotion, is to be found 'elsewhere', and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with honour, but rather with, erm, 'other means of gratification'...)

12 hours ago, bangrak said:

And it's even more vicious than that: what'd you think of an officer with a spotless career, several qualifications, straight as an 'I', ending, several times, quite high on the promotion list, way above the 'cut' of vacant positions, what should have got him the higher rank any time, ...but didn't. Got demotivated, didn't participate for one year, and got the 'friendly advise' to pay for it... Against his principles(!) in the next round he simply paid the sum asked, with family money, ...and was promoted! Ergo: as good as you might be, you won't get the promotion without paying for it!

(Considering the small difference in wages from one rank to the next one above, the reason for most to want a promotion, is to be found 'elsewhere', and it doesn't seem to have anything to do with honour, but rather with, erm, 'other means of gratification'...)

Thailand is the polar opposite of a meritocracy, in a hundred different areas. Most notably in the army and the administration. 

Archived