Flight cancellation charges.

ThaiPauly

Hi Everybody,

Does anyone have any experience of cancelling a flight with either Gulf Air or Bangkok Airways?

I had to go in for an emergency operation a couple of weeks ago and have a flight booked from CM to Swampy then on to London in 2 weeks

time. I May be well enough to fly by then but would not be confident of moving it.

I would be better cancelling it and starting all over again when I am fit to fly.

I can get a doctor's letter saying I am unfit to fly if they needed one

I know that the least they will do is charge a cancellation fee, anyone know what percentage of the booking this normally is?

Many thanks

TP

There will certainly be fees for changing tickets normally in T&C of booking or if booked through an agent ask them

I have used an agent for years from my frequent business  flying days she always sends me e mail with cost of changing cancelling tickets for each ticket when i am choosing.

I appreciate that might not help you

Depends on the ticket class (not meaning first/business/economy but subclass). Many discounted tickets don't offer any refunds, some offer them at a fee for fully unused ticket. Generally none allows cancellation with refund after any leg of the ticket is used.

There are terms and conditions with the ticket you have purchased and they specify all these conditions and charges. If you can't find it, ring up the airline ticketing office and hand them your booking number and they'll check that for you.

Did you pay the ticket with a Golden (or higher) Creditcard?  If so, most cc companies foresee a full payback if you have to cancel your trip (for a valid reason).

Note: The annual cost of such a Golden creditcard is only a fraction of the annulation insurance you can buy when booking your flights.  In my case, even after doing only one economy class international flight, the annual cost of the card is already more than covered.

17 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Did you pay the ticket with a Golden (or higher) Creditcard?  If so, most cc companies foresee a full payback if you have to cancel your trip (for a valid reason).

Note: The annual cost of such a Golden creditcard is only a fraction of the annulation insurance you can buy when booking your flights.  In my case, even after doing only one economy class international flight, the annual cost of the card is already more than covered.

That's certainly a good idea Peter.

I paid on Amex (standard card) so I don't think that will help me

32 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Depends on the ticket class (not meaning first/business/economy but subclass). Many discounted tickets don't offer any refunds, some offer them at a fee for fully unused ticket. Generally none allows cancellation with refund after any leg of the ticket is used.

There are terms and conditions with the ticket you have purchased and they specify all these conditions and charges. If you can't find it, ring up the airline ticketing office and hand them your booking number and they'll check that for you.

I have not checked the T&C's , guess I should dig out the confirmation e-mail they sent to me, I normally only keep the actual e-ticket. Must have made a 100 trips, never had to cancel one before

5 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

I don't have travel insurance...whoops

So best decide quick and contact Gulf Air in case.

The sooner the better.

Can't tell about Thai Airways (domestic). But maybe not worth the hassle.

Their low cost branch (Thai Smile) charges at 500 Baht in economy and cheapest bookings have no refund policy.

Archived