Digital Drive: Phuket police drop licence seizures in first move toward tech-based policing

rooster59

Digital Drive: Phuket police drop licence seizures in first move toward tech-based policing 

By Tanyaluk Sakoot

1568379206_1-org.jpg

A Traffic Police officer holds up a digital driver’s licence, to be recognised by police from next Friday (Sept 20). Photo: Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: Come next Friday (Sept 20) police across Phuket will cease the decades-old practice of seizing driver’s licences of motorists caught breaking traffic laws in a policy shift ahead of rolling out major amendments made to the Land Traffic Act, which had been in effect unchanged since 1979.

The new Traffic Act amendments also allow for a points system to be finally implemented under which drivers are granted 12 points, from which demerit points for traffic violations are deducted. The number of points to be deducted will depend on the severity of the violation.

Losing all 12 points, which are restored each calendar year, will lead to licence suspension for 90 days, while three suspensions will lead to a one-year suspension.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/digital-drive-phuket-police-drop-licence-seizures-in-first-move-toward-tech-based-policing-72874.php#3L52eB7gZzMM7Cex.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-09-14

I like the idea of a digital license, but the app won't work on my phone (which is a new Samsung model). It's not a technical thing - I can load the app anyway, it's more a matter of how many people won't be able to use the app because it doesn't work for them.

Capture.JPG.28aa5fbce70bb898ee10faa16307ddb0.JPG

6 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Then keep that small, unobtrusive bit of plastic under your sun visor. Done.

I was being facetious. But "nudging" - rather than forcing - us all to invest in a costly smartphone seems increasingly to be a strategy of governments worldwide these days.

Eventually, I suspect, it will not be possible to satisfy a traffic cop, immigration officer, or bank official without producing digital proof of identity.

State coersion is not something we should easily accept, particularly when - as in the case of compulsory smartphones - there are obvious privacy and security implications. Call me paranoid if you must, but why make life easy for Big Brother? Give me freedom over convenience every time.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

There is the option of registering without the QR code.

I did register and received confirmation but after that one is supposed to scan in the DL using the app and that's where the QR code is required, no QR no scan...

18 hours ago, Mavideol said:

I did register and received confirmation but after that one is supposed to scan in the DL using the app and that's where the QR code is required, no QR no scan...

WGDANSON... can you be so kind and explain what's confusing you about my explanation

• 4 weeks later...

Archived