Multi-entry Non-Immigrant O Visa (Marriage/Family) Guidance

Right, I've got a query...

(N.B.: I was going to add this to a longer existing thread, and I didn't see any specific threads about this, so I've made a thread for those who'd like to know)

I'm British and I've been married to a Thai for double digits of years, and both she and the kids have two passports. I've never actually lived in Thailand, although I've visited a number of times over the years, so I've never really had to think about the logistics and admin associated with that.

My Mrs hasn't been back to Thailand in over 15 years, so it's all unfamiliar to her too, but at least she can read it quicker than me.

In the past I've had Multi-entry Non Immingrant O visa, Business visa, and even done a Tourist visa run at Aranyaprathet when I was a nipper, when I think I entered and left Thailand several times in a year exploring and studying in different countries in the far east, but I've read how things have changed.

Anyway, this time I've got another Multi-entry Non-immigrant O visa from London; she was there with me to help with the very helpful Thai staff there.

I work offshore usually, and this time, I've been hanging around near Cambo for a while, and I got a certficate of residence along with the TM30 etc..

I'm suffering from information overload and I'm not 100% certain what applies. I'm a bit unclear, but I think that apparently I have to go across the border to Poipet and come back to satisfy the stamp in the passport that gave me 90 days. I understand that I have to do this 3 times a year, and then drop my financial drawers again every year to be inspected and approved for another year of this routine, which I can maybe do in London or Sakaeo immi office.

I don't know if or when I will drop 400k THB to do the Marriage Visa upgrade, it might be the same cost as a 5-year elite visa, and more faff, I dunno.

I intend to go down to Sakaeo Immi office to clarify with them, but I'd appreciate some info from anyone who does this a lot. I guess that I'm kind of living in Thailand, as my Mrs and our younger kids are in Thailand for the time being, and when I go away to work offshore, I will return to Thailand afterwards.

As far as I can tell, I need to:

1. Go to Sakaeo Immigration office and get my certificate of residence "endorsed" so that I can "resume" it when I return, and not have to do all that again.

2. Go to Sakeao Immigration office (and possibly the police station next door) to get a new TM6, which I don't have anymore, but that sounds no problem.

Maybe... 3. Go to Sakaeo Immigration office and do I need to get a - re-entry permit? Or is it unnecessary because my visa is a multi-entry one?

4. Go to the border post, with either a Cambodian visa already in my passport bought in Bangkok; or just buy a new one on arrival in Poipet? Same cost?

Maybe... 5. Do I really have to spend a night in Cambodia? Or drive round from entry border post to some other border post to leave in the same day?

Ideally, I was hoping that My Mrs could drive in to Cambodia with me and the kids, they enter on their Thai passports, and I get a Cambo Tourist visa, and we drive back either back to Aranyaprathet or maybe round to another nearby crossing either near Khlong Hat or near Ta Phraya in the same day.

What's the simplest cheapest quickest way of doing this whole thing (sensible answers please)? Have I missed anything (sensible answers please)?

If you already have a valid multiple entry non-o visa issued by a embassy or consulate you just need to leave and re-enter the country to get a new 90 day entry. No need for a re-entry permit or anything else from a immigration office.

Poi Pet would not be the best crossing to use to do it at. At have a history of making problems for people doing it.

28 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

I'm a bit unclear, but I think that apparently I have to go across the border to Poipet and come back to satisfy the stamp in the passport that gave me 90 days.

The maximum you can stay is 90 days. On or before day 90 you must leave or extend your stay at immigration. The Aranya'/Poipet border do not like visa holders doing 'border runs' to extend a stay and might not let you out or back in. You would be better advised using another border crossing like Ban Laem.

If you want to delay a border run or a 1 year extension you can apply for a 60 day extension at immigration. It costs 1,900 baht. Your wife will need to be registered in the Tabian Baan of any address in Thailand.

I understand that I have to do this 3 times a year, and then drop my financial drawers again every year to be inspected and approved for another year of this routine, which I can maybe do in London or Sakaeo immi office.

I don't know if or when I will drop 400k THB to do the Marriage Visa upgrade, it might be the same cost as a 5-year elite visa, and more faff, I dunno.

You can apply for a 1 year extension at the end of any 90 day stay. The 400K needs to be in a bank account for at least two months before applying. A 1 year extension only costs 1,900 baht, you keep the 400K. A 5 year "elite visa" costs 500K; no comparison. If you're living in the country this is the method (1 year ext.) - under the visa system - you are supposed to use.

As far as I can tell, I need to:

1. Go to Sakaeo Immigration office and get my certificate of residence "endorsed" so that I can "resume" it when I return, and not have to do all that again.

? You don't need a "certificate of residence" for an extension of stay.

2. Go to Sakeao Immigration office (and possibly the police station next door) to get a new TM6, which I don't have anymore, but that sounds no problem.

The Sakeao might insist on a police report for a lost TM.6. Speak to them first and they will advise.

Maybe... 3. Go to Sakaeo Immigration office and do I need to get a - re-entry permit? Or is it unnecessary because my visa is a multi-entry one?

It's unnecessary all the time you have a valid ME visa. You would only need one once you change to a 1 year extension and want to leave/return during the year.

4. Go to the border post, with either a Cambodian visa already in my passport bought in Bangkok; or just buy a new one on arrival in Poipet? Same cost?

Maybe... 5. Do I really have to spend a night in Cambodia? Or drive round from entry border post to some other border post to leave in the same day?

No need to get a visa in Bangkok. Everything can be organised at the border.

Avoid Aranya'/Poipet. There is no need to stay out overnight if using other Cambodian crossings.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, elviajero said:

The maximum you can stay is 90 days. On or before day 90 you must leave or extend your stay at immigration. The Aranya'/Poipet border do not like visa holders doing 'border runs' to extend a stay and might not let you out or back in. You would be better advised using another border crossing like Ban Laem.

I didn't think we were allowed to cross there, I thought it was locals only.

Is it Kamrieng? I guess there's a phone number online to check with them.

I had wondered about going down to Hat Lek in Trat for a simpler process.

Part of the idea of being in a border county is to simplify the visa procedures.

These are old links, I dunno if any of it still holds true:

http://www.ourweb.info/01/maps/thai-border16.shtml

http://www.ourweb.info/01/maps/thai-border17.shtml

http://www.ourweb.info/01/maps/thai-border14.shtml

http://www.ourweb.info/01/maps/thai-border18.shtml

If you want to delay a border run or a 1 year extension you can apply for a 60 day extension at immigration. It costs 1,900 baht. Your wife will need to be registered in the Tabian Baan of any address in Thailand.

She does, as do the kids, and that's where the certificate of residence is tied to.

I thought it was only 30 days and you could only do it once per year/per visa, and was more a thing for people on Tourist visas to do. I think I need to bite the bullet and understand the 90 day thing properly.

You can apply for a 1 year extension at the end of any 90 day stay. The 400K needs to be in a bank account for at least two months before applying. A 1 year extension only costs 1,900 baht, you keep the 400K. A 5 year "elite visa" costs 500K; no comparison. If you're living in the country this is the method (1 year ext.) - under the visa system - you are supposed to use.

Yes, the 400k thing is well reported / described online, but I'm sticking with the ME NI OV thing for now.

I understand, the elite visas originally seemed silly to me, but I'm starting to feel that they give a simpler life compared with all this faffing around. You get a residency all for yourself for x years regardless of anyone you're attached to. I know Thailand's gone out of favour with a few people recently, but I still feel it's a bit better than many other countries in the region, and the region seems to be growing economically, so finding ways to be here and maybe do some transnational family tech business still appeals.

As I work offshore at the moment, I don't really need to "live" anywhere, which has some benefits, but in the long run, you need to pick a place to call home and avoid setting yourself up for paperwork problems.

? You don't need a "certificate of residence" for an extension of stay.

Sure, but that wasn't what I meant... I believe that if you leave the country without getting a reentry endorsement you lose it, and you have to pay another 500 and get pops down to get it again, which is a waste of time and money having gone through the rigmarole of getting one originally for banks and such.

The Sakeao might insist on a police report for a lost TM.6. Speak to them first and they will advise.

Makes sense.

It's unnecessary all the time you have a valid ME visa. You would only need one once you change to a 1 year extension and want to leave/return during the year.

I won't need to attempt an extension until next year, this is the first ever 90 day run.

No need to get a visa in Bangkok. Everything can be organised at the border.

...but at every border post?

Avoid Aranya'/Poipet. There is no need to stay out overnight if using other Cambodian crossings.

See I've heard AP can be a problem, but I found the Sakaeo immigration office to be quite alright, but everyone seems to be saying AP is a problem, so fair enough... you're saying I don't have to go as far as Hat Lek or Surin to cross? I was hoping for a simple drive in drive out, rather than doing things like flying somewhere. I've heard mixed reports about having to stay overnight if you try to reenter via the same border post. I did it once about 18 years ago, and it only took an hour, as a backpacker tourist.

Edited by CaptainNemo
extra relevant info

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If you already have a valid multiple entry non-o visa issued by a embassy or consulate you just need to leave and re-enter the country to get a new 90 day entry. No need for a re-entry permit or anything else from a immigration office.

Poi Pet would not be the best crossing to use to do it at. At have a history of making problems for people doing it.

I was searching this morning for a list of current best border crossings to use.

I read that the once popular Mukdahan/Savannakhet one is now a chew.

I saw your map of Cambodian border crossings, but I was surprised to see the little ones included, I thought only AP and Hat Lek were allowed points of entry. There seem to be quite a few for the locals along the Sakaeo and Chantaburi border.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?ll=13.10869727306852%2C102.48192826694378&spn=2.58554%2C3.621642&hl=en&msa=0&source=embed&ie=UTF8&mid=12ZbsV8mzWzOtktnqnz_vTYlwhrg&z=11

Sounds like Ban Laem is the current border crossing of choice:

http://bangkokbuddy.com/thai-visa-run/

https://www.madmonkeyhostels.com/h2o_blog/thai-visa-run-cambodia/

Is AP really that bad? If my Mrs walked/drove in and out with me, would that not help?

If your perfectly valid ME visa was somehow rebuffed, do you then have to catch a ride to the border with Chanthaburi or Surin, or head for Siem Reap airport?!

1 hour ago, CaptainNemo said:

I thought it was only 30 days and you could only do it once per year/per visa, and was more a thing for people on Tourist visas to do. I think I need to bite the bullet and understand the 90 day thing properly.

30 days is only available for tourism, You can extend for 60 days to visit your wife/family.

You can extend each 90 day stay by 60 days once after which you need to leave to extend by 1 year. 

I understand, the elite visas originally seemed silly to me, but I'm starting to feel that they give a simpler life compared with all this faffing around. You get a residency all for yourself for x years regardless of anyone you're attached to.

The PE visa is great if it’s affordable as it buys convenience.

I know Thailand's gone out of favour with a few people recently,

Not really, They are simply stricter at enforcing the rules and visa system due to the ever increasing numbers of visitors.

but at every border post?

Yes. At crossings that allow westerners to use.

It would be my choice if I were in your situation.

Is AP really that bad? If my Mrs walked/drove in and out with me, would that not help?

You could try it, but make sure they are aware you want to exit and come straight back in.

Its a busy border and they don’t want western visa runners making it busier.

If your perfectly valid ME visa was somehow rebuffed, do you then have to catch a ride to the border with Chanthaburi or Surin, or head for Siem Reap airport?!

A visa does not guarantee entry. 

They usually tell people to fly in if denied entry. But you could simply enter at another land border close by,

Thanks for all that. I think we're going to try the Chanthaburi-Pailin border crossing. It's a bit annoying to have to, but it seems to be the quietest one nearby, and might let us drive in and out. I think I have to get a new TM6 at SK before I go, and some kind of re-entry endorsement on the TM18 Certificate of Residence.

10 hours ago, CaptainNemo said:

Thanks for all that. I think we're going to try the Chanthaburi-Pailin border crossing. It's a bit annoying to have to, but it seems to be the quietest one nearby, and might let us drive in and out. I think I have to get a new TM6 at SK before I go, and some kind of re-entry endorsement on the TM18 Certificate of Residence.

I am sure you do not have a TM18 form. That is issued for those that have permanent residency. Same for getting an endorsement of it.

You can complete a new TM6 card before the leaving the country at the border crossing. People lose them all the time.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I am sure you do not have a TM18 form. That is issued for those that have permanent residency. Same for getting an endorsement of it.

You can complete a new TM6 card before the leaving the country at the border crossing. People lose them all the time.

I have one of these:

certificate-of-residency.jpg

source: http://www.sebastienbrousseau.com/certificate-residence-thailand/

Residency-Certificate-Sample.jpg?w=557&s

source: https://www.tielandtothailand.com/certificate-residency/

I imagine there's often typo-led confusion between "residence" and "residency" as the lower URL suggests.

My understanding is that I have to get a re-entry endorsement on this certificate to "resume" it when I return to Thailand.

11 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

I have one of these:

That is a standard certificate of residency issued by immigration to get a drivers license, register a vehicle and etc.

It is not a TM18.

14 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

My understanding is that I have to get a re-entry endorsement on this certificate to "resume" it when I return to Thailand.

There is no endorsement of that document needed or possible.

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is a standard certificate of residenc(y)e issued by immigration to get a drivers license, register a vehicle and etc.

It is not a TM18.

There is no endorsement of that document needed or possible.

Well that's good news. I must have fallen foul of the residence/residency typo issue somewhere.

Edited by CaptainNemo
important typo drawn attention to.

15 hours ago, roamer said:

Thought London had stopped Multi-entry even for marriage? Or do I have it wrong as usual:-)

I have no idea, but the visa sticker in my passport says Multi-Entry, O, and London on it, and my Mrs and kids were there with me in the Embassy when the nice Thai staff processed my application. They were very friendly, very helpful, and it took no time at all. I have one before from Hull, and never any difficulty. I try to be well organised, speak Thai politely, and comply with everything they ask. My wife is very competent too.

On 9/14/2019 at 8:58 PM, CaptainNemo said:

I have us the AP crossing many times and only bothered to stay overnight once. I've never had a problem on my non o spouse. I know of others who have, but they weren't on non o visas. It has a rep as a difficult crossing, but I wonder how many people on non o visas have been knocked back? I always dress well and have never been questioned.

• Thanks 1

I have no idea, but the visa sticker in my passport says Multi-Entry, O, and London on it, and my Mrs and kids were there with me in the Embassy when the nice Thai staff processed my application.

You got your non-o visa before June when they started the online visa application at London. That is when they stopped doing a multiple entry visa.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You got your non-o visa before June when they started the online visa application at London. That is when they stopped doing a multiple entry visa.

Yes I did. I didn't know about that. What's the story then? Is it that British can't get a multi-entry visa any more, or is everyone restricted? Where can British go? Hull? Dublin? Amsterdam? Brussels? Or do you have to do it in Thailand? Or travel to a country next door, like Laos or Cambodia or Malaysia, and do t there? Or that they just want people to do a Single Entry, then apply for an extension?

This bit's interesting:

" Non O (Multi Entry) based upon marriage can be obtained at the Royal Thai Consulates in Savannakhet, Laos and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam with no financial proof, "

It's probably not worth going that far just for that for me, I thought for a moment they were dishing out marriage visas without financial proof. I guess I just stick to Pailin.

Useful to note that for British flying to Saigon may be an alternative to London embassy.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html

Edited by CaptainNemo

Yes I did. I didn't know about that. What's the story then? Is it that British can't get a multi-entry visa any more, or is everyone restricted? Where can British go? Hull? Dublin? Amsterdam? Brussels? Or do you have to do it in Thailand? Or travel to a country next door, like Laos or Cambodia or Malaysia, and do t there? Or that they just want people to do a Single Entry, then apply for an extension?

It is due to the online visa application. At this time only the embassies in the UK, France and Beijing are using it.

Hull can only issue a single entry visa. 

Most consulate and embassies in Europe will only issue visa to those that are citizens or legal residents of the country where they are located.

Your best choice is get one  is at one of nearby locations that are doing them.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

It is due to the online visa application. At this time only the embassies in the UK, France and Beijing are using it.

Hull can only issue a single entry visa. 

Most consulate and embassies in Europe will only issue visa to those that are citizens or legal residents of the country where they are located.

Your best choice is get one  is at one of nearby locations that are doing them.

Nearby the UK or nearby Thailand? I guess I'm ok as I got a multi in time, and the next thing is the re-entry, and at some point over the coming few months apply for an extension to the multi-entry visa, is that right?

Is it the case that London wouldn't extend the multi-entry visa they gave me, or that I would have to do it at the local provincial immigration office in Thailand that my certificate of residence is tied to?

6 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

Nearby the UK or nearby Thailand?

Here

I don't think you will be able to get one anywhere near to the UK.

9 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

Is it the case that London wouldn't extend the multi-entry visa they gave me, or that I would have to do it at the local provincial immigration office in Thailand that my certificate of residence is tied to?

Extension of stay can only be applied for at immigration here. No embassy or consulate would be able to do it.

You can apply for the one year extension of stay during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from your visa.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Here

I don't think you will be able to get one anywhere near to the UK.

Extension of stay can only be applied for at immigration here. No embassy or consulate would be able to do it.

You can apply for the one year extension of stay during the last 30 days of any of the 90 day entries from your visa.

OK. So it's Savannakhet, Laos; Saigon, Vietnam; and maybe Penang, Malaysia.

What about other ASEAN countries are they no longer doing this?

Cambodia? http://www.thaiembassy.org/phnompenh/en/services/7962/86346-Non-Immigrant-Visa-%22O%22-(Thai-Family).html

Indonesia? http://www.thaiembassyjakarta.com/en/consular-services/non-immigrant-visa-o/

Singapore? https://www.thaiembassy.sg/visa-matters-/-consular/visa-requirements/non-immigrant-visa-o-thai-spouse

Burma? http://www.thaiembassy.org/yangon/contents/files/services-20190125-104213-107361.pdf

Brunei? http://www.thaiembassy.org/bsb/en/services/4636/50950-Types-of-Visa-and-Documents-Required.html

Timor? http://www.thaiembassy.org/dili/en/services/88553-NON-IMMIGRANT-VISA.html#O

Philippines? https://www.thaiembassymnl.ph/images/ThaiVisaRequirementsAndProcedure.pdf

20 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

What about other ASEAN countries are they no longer doing this?

Indonesia and Singapore will want to see 400k baht in the bank. 

The embassy in Yangon is a maybe.

The rest are no or no reports at all about them issuing a multiple entry visa.

• Thanks 1

On 9/14/2019 at 5:40 PM, elviajero said:

Elviajero, you mentioned one can apply for a 1 year extension at the end of any 90 day stay.  How about if I get a 60-day extension of the 90-day stay?  Can I then get a 1-year extension for marriage at the end of the 60-day extension?  

Reason: Our home is in Bangkok, but we will vacationing in Hua Hin for a month when the 90-days runs out.  Not sure if the HH immigration office would process our 1-year extension because the wife's residence is Bangkok.  But I do think that HH would process my request for a 60-day extension, and then we can do the marriage extension once we return to BKK.  Does that make sense? 

25 minutes ago, USNret said:

How about if I get a 60-day extension of the 90-day stay?  Can I then get a 1-year extension for marriage at the end of the 60-day extension?  

Yes you can.

26 minutes ago, USNret said:

Not sure if the HH immigration office would process our 1-year extension because the wife's residence is Bangkok.  But I do think that HH would process my request for a 60-day extension, and then we can do the marriage extension once we return to BKK.  Does that make sense? 

The certainly will not do the one year extension in Hua Hin since that is not your normal place of residence.

They might do the 60 day extension if you provide proof of your residence in Hua Hin.

On 9/16/2019 at 5:36 PM, CaptainNemo said:

Nearby the UK or nearby Thailand? I guess I'm ok as I got a multi in time, and the next thing is the re-entry, and at some point over the coming few months apply for an extension to the multi-entry visa, is that right?

I used to get a Non Imm "O" Multi entry from London for the past 6 years based on marriage/kid. I missed the June deadline this year while in the UK, you have to do everything online now AND they don't issue said "O" visa anymore, in London. 

On Ubonjoe's advice, I went to Ho Chi Min, Vietnam to get one, with no problems.

"Re-entry"?, the Non Imm "O" Multi entry is exactly that....come and go as many times as you like as long as the Visa is still valid. London will not extend the visa. You would need to apply again at Savannakhet, Laos and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam as it currently stands.

Remember, just before the visa expires you can get an extra 90 days, effectively making it a 15 month multi entry visa.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, falang1969 said:

I used to get a Non Imm "O" Multi entry from London for the past 6 years based on marriage/kid. I missed the June deadline this year while in the UK, you have to do everything online now AND they don't issue said "O" visa anymore, in London. 

On Ubonjoe's advice, I went to Ho Chi Min, Vietnam to get one, with no problems.

"Re-entry"?, the Non Imm "O" Multi entry is exactly that....come and go as many times as you like as long as the Visa is still valid. London will not extend the visa. You would need to apply again at Savannakhet, Laos and Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam as it currently stands.

Remember, just before the visa expires you can get an extra 90 days, effectively making it a 15 month multi entry visa.

I wonder if this policy change is some kind of retaliation for something?

11 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

I wonder if this policy change is some kind of retaliation for something?

The multiple entry visas are not being issued by the countries using online application was set up based upon the Beijing embassy's visa requirements. They did not issue multiple entry visas is the reason for it.

I think the London embassy may of tried to get some things changed but were not successful and that is the reason why they delayed starting online applications from April to June.

I know that some people have reported being able to cross at numerous border crossings along the Thai-Cambodian border, but I would like to draw attention to the Cambodian government eVisa website:

image.png.768b4979e76b34106394b4a40570454b.png

My first thought was that I couldn't enter Cambodia at Ban Laem, Pailin, in Jantaburyshire, or at Surinshire, etc.. but it does say "does not support e-Visa", so I presume it's VoA. Do they accept Thai Baht as well as USD, or do they only accept 35 USD? Can you get a 30-day Cambodian E visa there or does it have to be a Cambodian T visa?

https://www.evisa.gov.kh/information/port_entry/3

17 minutes ago, CaptainNemo said:

My first thought was that I couldn't enter Cambodia at Ban Laem, Pailin, in Jantaburyshire, or at Surinshire, etc.. but it does say "does not support e-Visa", so I presume it's VoA. Do they accept Thai Baht as well as USD, or do they only accept 35 USD? Can you get a 30-day Cambodian E visa there or does it have to be a Cambodian T visa?

You will need to apply for a Cambodia visa on arrival at the crossings that do not accept the evisa.

They will accept Thai baht or $30 US at most of the crossings. Some only want Thai baht and charge 1200 to 1500 baht.

• Thanks 1