Visa Stamp picture on phone

Hal65

Some people carry around copies of their Passport's info and visa stamp pages. Although technically illegal it's a nice compromise between risk of loss and satisfying police.

Does anyone do this with phone snapshots? Or even a video of you showing your info and stamp page so it's proven to be from the same passport?

• Haha 1

I keep the entire passport history and supporting documents in a "vault" folder on my Android.  Nit sure why anyone would cal this "technically illegal?"  I also made my own very official looking credit card sized "passport card" which is cheerfully accepted in many places.  Especially handy for entering building where you need to leave an ID ... and not wanting to leave your actual passport with a high school kid in a uniform (See: "Security Guard)

I got many of my documents in the DropBox. The copy of passport I needed at check-in in a hospital I just sent by email from my mobile to the hospital's mail account and everybody was happy. I was even good enough at AIS to register a SIM, they took a photo of my mobile showing the passport page in the gallery.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bangkokequity said:

I keep the entire passport history and supporting documents in a "vault" folder on my Android.  Nit sure why anyone would cal this "technically illegal?"  I also made my own very official looking credit card sized "passport card" which is cheerfully accepted in many places.  Especially handy for entering building where you need to leave an ID ... and not wanting to leave your actual passport with a high school kid in a uniform (See: "Security Guard)

And phone hackers or lose the phone?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I keep high quality imagines of passport I.D. page, visas and stamp pages, vaccination records, birth certificate,  licenses, last will and testament, and other important documents on my iPhone,  in two separate clouds, and a two hidden flash drives stored in different places. 

I figure I might lose the originals and my iPhone might get stolen or lost. 

But I will always have copies of my important documents and photos someplace. 

Much easier to replace these documents if you have high quality clear images of the originals. Very important are the important sets of numbers associated with these documents. 

Imagine losing those documents, losing your wallet, passport and phone and having no copies or records. 

Having your important documents and photos copied into a couple of clouds and flash drives gives peace of mind. 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2019 at 4:14 PM, Stocky said:

I keep images of passport ID page, current visa, and most recent entry stamp and TM6 card on my mobile. Never needed to show them, but I've at least something to show if asked. No idea if they'd be accepted, but I'm not about to carry my passport around with me.

Same here

It IS legal to carry images on your mobile, also hard copies in your wallet.

If you are stopped, do you really want to give up your mobile if you are required to go get your passport?

Go to a Kodak store, or just about any camera store, and get a wallet size color copy of your PHOTO page and have it laminated - under 100bt carry this. If stopped, the authority will take this copy - if necessary,  and give you 6-8 hours to present your passport. DONT TRY AND LEAVE THE COUNTRY.

I carry my copy with a copy of my girlfriends Thai ID on the reverse side.  In an emergency, the authorities know who to contact.

When an emergency arose and I had to take her to the hospital, she was admitted as a Thai and I was given time to get her original ID to present to the hospital .... saved me a chunk of deposit money!  She carries the same.

Edited by edwardflory
addl info
  • Like 2

If you keep passport / visa images on your phone to show to police if potentially stopped.... keep in mind you’ll be handing over your unlocked and unencrypted phone willingly to the police.  

Just something to keep in mind depending on what else is kept on your phone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I thought it had been clarified (for the umpteenth time) that we didn't have to carry our passports on us 24/7 but had to be able to produce it (from home/hotel/wherever) upon demand ? (Of course that was last year and could have changed 5 times since then.)

Meh - whatever. When I travel (away from home for more than a day) I carry my passport with me (in a sealed ziplock baggie). When I'm at home, the passport stays at home. In both cases I have a photocopy of the relevant pages in a sealed ziplock in my wallet as well as scanned images saved on my phone. I seriously doubt that it's illegal to have scanned images of my passport on my phone.

The only times I've ever been checked have been when I've been on a motorcycle (big and small) and as soon as I produced my Thai license that was it, no other ID asked for.
I'm less worried about losing my phone (with scanned images of my passport in it) than I am of losing the actual passport. 
Will that satisfy the police ? Well, that would probably depend more on the time of day, the day of the week, the week of the month, the month of the year, the phase of the moon, the last time the officer ate and how many ***** he's had to deal with already that day.

It's not something that I'm going to lose sleep over. 

yes, its hard for most to understand there are no rulz here, no matter what the law is

• Haha 1

On 9/14/2019 at 3:59 PM, Hal65 said:

Some people carry around copies of their Passport's info and visa stamp pages. Although technically illegal it's a nice compromise between risk of loss and satisfying police.

Do stop making up laws.

There is absolutely nothing illegal in having pictures or copies of your passport and visa stamp pages. 

The police may choose not to accept them and require you to show the passport, but that is a entirely different matter and doesn't make the copies illegal

• Like 2

On 9/14/2019 at 4:14 PM, Stocky said:

I keep images of passport ID page, current visa, and most recent entry stamp and TM6 card on my mobile. Never needed to show them, but I've at least something to show if asked. No idea if they'd be accepted, but I'm not about to carry my passport around with me.

Same

1 hour ago, Tropicalevo said:

As an earlier poster wrote - we do not have to carry our passport but we do have to produce it on demand.

I just carry my Thai driver licence and I have never needed anything else - even on domestic flights.

Same here plus my pink Thai ID never had any problems.

1 hour ago, edwardflory said:

It IS legal to carry images on your mobile, also hard copies in your wallet.

If you are stopped, do you really want to give up your mobile if you are required to go get your passport?

Go to a Kodak store, or just about any camera store, and get a wallet size color copy of your PHOTO page and have it laminated - under 100bt carry this. If stopped, the authority will take this copy - if necessary,  and give you 6-8 hours to present your passport. DONT TRY AND LEAVE THE COUNTRY.

I carry my copy with a copy of my girlfriends Thai ID on the reverse side.  In an emergency, the authorities know who to contact.

When an emergency arose and I had to take her to the hospital, she was admitted as a Thai and I was given time to get her original ID to present to the hospital .... saved me a chunk of deposit money!  She carries the same.

Get the laminated card-sized copy made with two sides. One for the picture page and the other for the current visa or extension.  Update it annually or whatever is appropriate. In tourist areas there are hundreds of places who will do it in 5 minutes for less that 50 B.  Get 2 copies, one in the wallet and one in the car/bike, wife's purse etc.

4 hours ago, hkt83100 said:

I got many of my documents in the DropBox. The copy of passport I needed at check-in in a hospital I just sent by email from my mobile to the hospital's mail account and everybody was happy. I was even good enough at AIS to register a SIM, they took a photo of my mobile showing the passport page in the gallery.

That worked for me once in Vietnam when registering a SIM card. 

I also have a credit card sized copy of my passport in my wallet and copies of every other document on my phone in case I need to show or print them. The phone is protected by a PIN number of course (my email address is displayed on the lock screen in case of loss) and a few things I wouldn't want anyone to see are hidden in Vaulty. This stuff would be useful if an original document is lost too.