Visa Stamp picture on phone

Hal65

The checkpoint at Highway 317 near Pong Nam Ron is becoming a nuisance with soldiers checking vehicles on one side and Police on the other. They demand passport and make you pull over, photographing everything, and being, imho, abnormally disrespectful for young Thais. Anyway, I didn't have it, had a drivers license, wife and two sisters, first guy, eventually disinterested wandered off, second guy same, third guy came to the window and lectured me that his boss would not let us through if he was present, then grudgingly let me go. The other day when directed to pull over, I just drove off. Not the smartest move probably, although I could see there was a disconnect between the guy pulling vehicles over and the guys waiting. So nothing happened. I had the pictures on my phone but the old anti authority came out of me I dont know why, haven't seen it for ages.

This checkpoint I have been through thousands of times, for many years it was just the cops and only rarely but after the coup the soldiers took over one side, but this is very recent. Sometimes the cops are there but they are lookong for something else. Obviously heaps of Cambodians get arrested at this place and buses and vans have always had to pull over. 

Yes, because if my passport or bank books were lost or stolen, I have backup. Good luck to anyone trying to break my phone password.

Hands up those who have committed to memory their passport number and bank account numbers.

My phone is worth maybe $80 at this point so I'm not afraid to give it to an authority.

But if I were to print and carry hard copies, is it required that they are color, or will black and white suffice?

Seems many people fear that they might lose their passport (or, inexplicably, that they might loose it). Others keep everything from their primary school grade reports to their Tinder password on their phones and appear to feel it's a competition to state all the things they actually do or not carry with them but have archived on their phones or on different cloud sites and/or portable drives. 

I feel so inadequate. I just carry my passport. After decades of doing so I've never lost (or loost) it. Cant recall ever losing my drivers license or any credit cards or social security card, etc. what do some of you get up to that particularly puts your passport at risk or makes you feel better than others because you can access a copy of your birth certificate or dog's license within seconds of a photocopy of it being urgently required and sufficient? And why is it so important to announce you've got more documents photographed than someone else?

Edited by Suradit69

10 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Seems many people fear that they might lose their passport ( or, inexplicably, that they might loose it). Others keep everything from their primary school grade reports to their Tinder password on their phones and appear to feel it's a competition to state all the things they actually do or not carry with them but have archived on their phones or on different cloud sites and/or portable drives. 

I feel so inadequate. I just carry my passport. After decades of doing so I've never lost (or loost) it. Cant recall ever losing my drivers license or any credit cards or social security card, etc. what do some of you get up to that particularly puts your passport at risk or makes you feel better than others because you can access a copy of your birth certificate or dog's license within seconds of a photocopy of it being urgently required and sufficient?

The only thing I take with me everywhere is my mobile phone. In case of any emergency my ID is obvious from the contents of my phone, including up to date passport and Immigration information and current 90 day info and for other important contacts to notify.

5 hours ago, The Deerhunter said:

Get the laminated card-sized copy made with two sides. One for the picture page and the other for the current visa or extension.  Update it annually or whatever is appropriate. In tourist areas there are hundreds of places who will do it in 5 minutes for less that 50 B.  Get 2 copies, one in the wallet and one in the car/bike, wife's purse etc.

Have been doing the same for years and get a new one every year when the retirement extension is renewed.

Cheap and easy.

• Like 1

whatever stamps and documents are current in my passport are also on my phone. easy peasy. If someone gets my phone and wants to impersonate me, then they will need to lose their hair and change the colour of whats left, grow a large festering hairy wart on the end of their nose (which should increase to the size of a potato), and gain a few stone. Then they can be me.

• Haha 2

I agree with those that keep copies of their documents on their phone. Very handy if the original gets lost and when applying for visas for another country. 

I also know from personal experience that domestic airlines will not accept a copy of your passport if you want to fly domestically.

10 minutes ago, Onrai said:

I agree with those that keep copies of their documents on their phone. Very handy if the original gets lost and when applying for visas for another country. 

I also know from personal experience that domestic airlines will not accept a copy of your passport if you want to fly domestically.

So I guess the only time one really needs to show the original passport is for a flight or immigration?

I'll be heading to the DLT soon so I guess that would also count. And opening bank or other accounts.

6 hours ago, dode57k said:

Seems many people fear that they might lose their passport .... I feel so inadequate. I just carry my passport. After decades of doing so I've never lost ... it. Cant recall ever losing my drivers license or any credit cards or social security card, etc. what do some of you get up to that particularly puts your passport at risk....?

I agree. Nevertheless I have hard copies of my passport (main page, re-entry permit, some TMs and the arrival card). Btw color copies are not allowed.