Selling a car with less than 30 days on visa

elephant45

I was told I needed 30 days left on my visa to sell my car, had a buyer with me, got the inspection done went to the counter and the lady said " you cannot sell the car without 30 days remaining on your visa.

If I go to Immigration and get a residency letter can I do it with less than 30 days. I don't stay in Thailand anymore but desperately need to sell this car.

I was told that a few years ago, at a popular hotel near the American embassy in BKK ...that I could not check in to my prepaid Agoda room because I had exactly 30 days left on my visa, for my one night stay!!

I even had a stamp in my passport that immigration was working on my next visa already.  

I said my visa is is still valid until the day it expires, I can do what I want here, including stay in a hotel. She was very insistent. Finally I told her to either give me the damn key or call the police right now and have them arrest me, or tell her I am legal, let’s see what happens??  I’m still confused what she thought she was going to accomplish.  This is some dumbass version of “your passport must still have 6 months on it” so now some people think for themselves that your visa must still have time on it ....???

Since they have some power at on office like that for your car to deny you services, maybe you need to offer a payment for extra help to get your job accomplished.  Be nice, beg, plead, for help, bring a Thai person to ask for you if you are not good at that.  Probably just making up <deleted> to get the bribe.

I was selling to a very small Thai Dealer south of Chiang Mai. he was clueless. Maybe call the US Embassy Monday, but here is from a lawyer i have used for various things. She didn't tell me much. Pretty screwed up, I can come here rent an apartment and the and the next day buy a vehicle, but...I guess things go one way in this country and stay here. Like Money, etc

I have no idea of what the officer telling you but I guess the Foreigner will need a resident certificate from Immigration before they can buy or sell the car. (That what I have heard from other clients)

To get a resident certificate you should need to have one year visa or non immigrant visa. (you have to find out from Immigration)

Best Regards,
Nok

8 hours ago, elephant45 said:

looks like i have to get a non immigrant O visa, return to Thailand and then sell it. i really can't believe this <deleted>. I don't anymore stupid unnecessary problems in my life.

Why not just transfer it to a trusted friend and have them make the sale for you? The only bummer is that it is at least 5, maybe 6 hours waiting in queues. After the inspection, the buyer and I got tired of waiting so we asked about what time our queue number would be called. We left and went home and returned 30 min. before that time. When we returned they said that they had called our number 10 min. before and that we had to take a new queue number. The old man who bought the car had no idea how to deal with it, so I called my wife to come down. She had a chat with someone and they immediately took care of us. We met there at 9:00 and were out the door at 15:30, so an entire day.

17 hours ago, elephant45 said:

looks like i have to get a non immigrant O visa, return to Thailand and then sell it. i really can't believe this <deleted>. I don't anymore stupid unnecessary problems in my life.

Why dont you initially try to rent it out,like a property.

Upfront payment of 12months rental will get you a third of its value.

Dont tell the recpient you are not here, then if thry want to renew fine. Just adamage limitation exercise.

Or transfer ownership to a trustworthy individual or dealership to sell on your behalf for a generous comission

5 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Why dont you initially try to rent it out,like a property.

Upfront payment of 12months rental will get you a third of its value.

Dont tell the recpient you are not here, then if thry want to renew fine. Just adamage limitation exercise.

Or transfer ownership to a trustworthy individual or dealership to sell on your behalf for a generous comission

That's what I said and it's fairly common to do that here. If you already have a committed buyer then it really is an easy situation.

On 9/14/2019 at 6:15 PM, amykat said:

I was told that a few years ago, at a popular hotel near the American embassy in BKK ...that I could not check in to my prepaid Agoda room because I had exactly 30 days left on my visa, for my one night stay!!

I even had a stamp in my passport that immigration was working on my next visa already.  

I said my visa is is still valid until the day it expires, I can do what I want here, including stay in a hotel. She was very insistent. Finally I told her to either give me the damn key or call the police right now and have them arrest me, or tell her I am legal, let’s see what happens??  I’m still confused what she thought she was going to accomplish.  This is some dumbass version of “your passport must still have 6 months on it” so now some people think for themselves that your visa must still have time on it ....???

You didn't say what the outcome was at the hotel?

Use an Agent. Start at one of the coffee shops / photocopy shops outside the Land Transport department. They either act as agents, or will have one hanging around.

You will pay 3K-4K Baht, and it may take up to a week to get it done, or could be finished the next day.

The agents share their revenue with the people ate the department that does the work. That is your easiest solution.

8 hours ago, dotpoom said:

You didn't say what the outcome was at the hotel?

She gave me the key once I made that threat!!

But I had argued quite a bit already, I asked her, how do you know I am not leaving Thailand tomorrow, 29 days before my visa expires ...where is one supposed to stay if not allowed in a hotel??  The major international airport is in this city I believe???  

It was strange, what was her angle? The hotel had a lot of empty rooms during my stay so they were not overbooked, I look like a proper quality tourist in every way, so no way was it me.  Weird.

Had a similar prob,my fault brought a M/C from a westerner, waited for the tax to expire and they refused to register it my name coz his visa had expired i told them he's no longer in Thailand ''wait till he comes back" 'but not coming back !' so it stayed in his name and still is 4 yrs later.

On 9/14/2019 at 6:19 PM, watcharacters said:

During the long process to get a credit card at a Thai bank, the upcoming renewal date of my retirement stamp caused  a further delay.    

Just the way it's done in the Kingdom..

Debit card you talking about?

Archived